CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff, November 8

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Henning

CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff, November 8

Post by Henning »

Cmon Cardiffians - spread the word - don't make us believe that Leonard called off the show just because of the bad Welsh weather.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
annie2176

Re: Cardiff 8 November

Post by annie2176 »

The 50 mile drive to Cardiff was horrendous, a real windy downpour, had to stick to 50 mph on the M4, so arrived at the CIA at 3 minutes to 8. That was the only bad part of a truly wonderful night. Every single moment was perfect in my opinion. As the lights came on at the end, many people around me were in tears. I saw Leonard at Glastonbury and at the Big Chill earlier this year and while both of those were truly great shows (the memory of thousands of people singing along to Hallelujah while the sun was setting over the Pyramid stage is one I will always treasure) neither show was anywhere as wonderful as last night in Cardiff. Thank you, Leonard and everyone else, for such a sublime evening - please come back next year!
linmag

Post by linmag »

Yess!! Last night I finally got to hear Leonard sing Famous Blue Raincoat live! He sang quite a few others, too, including The Partisan, but it was Famous Blue Raincoat I was waiting for. I was in tears through most of it, along with the couple in front of me and the guy sitting to my right. Anthem got us too, and Hallelujah - it was just one of those nights. The band was note perfect, the singers word-perfect, and Leonard was just plain perfect :). We had seats on row G, and could see everyone's expressions, and even hear a couple of asides made away from the mikes. Like the idiot that I am, I forgot to take my camera, and missed out on some wonderful shots, but that is the crack through which the rest of the evening only shines the brighter. I haven't been around for a couple of weeks, so don't know if this has happened before, but Leonard cut out most of his chat and all his acknowledgements of the band members for their solos. This meant that the show flowed so much better, and the power of the songs came through undiminished. I think this is what made the evening so emotional, even for those of us who have now seen Leonard several times this year. There was still spontaneous applause for many of the instrumental solos, especially for Dino Soldo and Javier Mas, and Leonard did start to talk to us a bit in the second half, which was nice. He also sent us away at the end with a very gracious blessing, though he grew a mite impatient with us when we would not stop applauding so that he could give it as soon as he was ready. He stood there with his lips ever so slightly pursed, like a schoolmaster indulging understandable end-of-term high spirits, until we calmed down.

You will have to hope that someone else had the presence of mind to note down the setlist. I'm like a rabbit in the headlights once the music starts - can't think of anything else - probably wouldn't have used my camera if I had remembered it :). A couple of differences I did notice from previous concerts. Sharon Robinson was the soloist on Boogie Street, with Leonard just coming in occasionally, very much in the background. (Indeed, he was actually singing behind his hat at one point, as if he thought we might not notice the addition of those beautiful dark chocolate undertones!) This really brought out the bluesy side of the tune and was a lovely showcase for Sharon's voice. The Webb sisters accompanied themselves on both harp and guitar on Anthem. I don't remember the guitar from previous concerts. It gave the music more texture and allowed them to sing more strongly. I remember previous performances as being very pretty. This one was pretty powerful, particularly towards the end.

And yes, the drive home was horrendous, with one motorway closed due to flooding and warnings of high winds on the bridge back from Wales into England, but it would have taken more than a bit of wind and rain to penetrate the warm glow of an evening with Leonard.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
commonweal

Post by commonweal »

Did anyone at Cardiff notice the show being filmed? I'm curious now whether this was unique to Glasgow, shared with all other concerts at the moment, or shared only with select others.
pmdf

Post by pmdf »

linmag wrote: He also sent us away at the end with a very gracious blessing, though he grew a mite impatient with us when we would not stop applauding so that he could give it as soon as he was ready. He stood there with his lips ever so slightly pursed, like a schoolmaster indulging understandable end-of-term high spirits, until we calmed down.
Perfectly put! He certainly has that look sometimes. :)
commonweal wrote:Did anyone at Cardiff notice the show being filmed? I'm curious now whether this was unique to Glasgow, shared with all other concerts at the moment, or shared only with select others.
Funny you should mention that, as we were in Row E and did notice it being filmed by a couple of guys at the front. I enthused about it to my wife but then it occurred to me that it was probably just for the big screens either side of the stage, rather than any future archival purpose. I hope I'm wrong though as I'd love to see filmed highlights of last night's show.
Manchester 18 June | Cardiff 8 November
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

All concerts are now being filmed for the archives.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
pmdf

Post by pmdf »

Well that's fantastic news.. thanks jarkko! :)
Manchester 18 June | Cardiff 8 November
Henning

Post by Henning »

Jarkko - what do the dots at the end of your signature stand for ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Aside from the weather & traffic it was an almost perfect evening. It was good to hear FBR & The Partisan which weren't included in the other 2 summer concerts we attended. The only ommisions for me were the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep & Closing Time from the encores. I was pleased that there weren't as many introductions of the band members but missed the 'chat'. But hey, no complaints & still hoping.....!
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
abeggarleaning

Post by abeggarleaning »

This was my first of the resumed tour having attended four of the first section. It was astounding. Leonard and the band have really moved up a gear. And there I was thinking that it couldn't get any better. Not only did I witness an ensemble that played note perfect, but they all presented with a much more serious demeanor as though they were totally aware of the special responsibility they shared in delivering the master's works. Leonard now works every phrase in every song. Rather than taking its toll on Leonard, the scale of this tour has been used to heighten his ability to wring every ounce of emotion from the songs and by extension from those of us privileged to be there.
pegasus4

Post by pegasus4 »

Yes the weather was horrendous both in and out of Wales but this concert was sublime. I saw him in Amsterdam and at the Big Chill, both outdoor venues. This was my first concert hall and the intimacy, subtlety and mastery shone through. Yes I agree with previous comments about the ensemble being note perfect. Leonard’s farewell thanks was as gracious as ever but highly emotional. Many in the crowd shouted 'thank you Leonard' back. I was in tears-not for the first time in this concert. So many high points but I'd just like to mention how good 'In My Secret Life' was. Slowed down a bit and the vocal interplay was magical. Same set list as in Bucharest I think. It was so good to hear Famous Blue Raincoat and The Partisan. I’m just a little envious of those who heard him do Avalanche as well at some of the other venues. Such a small envy for such a great great song though because to be able to see Leonard performing again -the privilege doesn't come any greater. Thank you Leonard.
cerridwen

Post by cerridwen »

cardiff - we had been to the match we lost- it rained- we got wet very very wet it was the first time I had ever steamed thru a Leonard concert. However I loved him first at the Albert Hall however many years ago that was, when my husband,daughter and me saw him for the first time.
I saw him at 02 this year and it was amazing. On Nov 8th we all three went again and he was just amazing. The band was great, the singers note perfect and Leonard well he was Leonard and gave us all he had. Yes I missed songs and yes I loved the new ones but who cares so long as Leonard sings.
Long Life Leonard, forever young.
krystal

Post by krystal »

At last I managed to see Leonard Cohen live!!!

It seems a lifetime since I bought "Songs of Leonard Cohen" album, chosen solely by reading the cover many moons ago at the tender age of 16 I had no idea at that time who or what Leonard Cohen stood for and certainly didn't know he was an accomplished literary figure.

I just remember playing it for the first time and being mesmerised feeling I had found a soulmate. I fell in love with this man of Beautiful Words and Wisdom with a Rich Sexy voice "as many have before and many will again"

I have waited years and This Wonderful Concert did not disappoint, as I was transported back to revive all those former feelings.

Seeing Mr Cohen in the flesh was amazing I was touched by his humbleness and reverence for his stage companions and the way he appears to let us ever so slightly into his personal world.
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

After 4 lots of plans to transport me and wheelchair to Cardiff had failed the fifth worked out amazingly well and brought the bonus of a ticket to the match in the afternoon. Having found a hotel for the night just down the road (in Merthyr Tydfil !!) and a splendid restaurant to fill the gap between match and concert, I approached the unimpressive looking venue with much trepidation. But the sound quality was excellent once again, how do they do that?

It was nice to know that so many around me would be so pleased to be hearing FBR at last, but for me, when I realised the intro to The Partisan was really being played live in front of me, THAT was THE moment of the whole trip.

Thankyou Leonard, band, soundcrew, and the whole host of lovely Cardiff people who helped me wheel my way among the masses and the endless builders rubble.

Now - how do I fend off the mounting sadness that I only have two concerts left? :(
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
efc

Post by efc »

Henning wrote:Cmon Cardiffians - spread the word - don't make us believe that Leonard called off the show just because of the bad Welsh weather.
Welsh rain is the best

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”