What rights do I have re hotel booking

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jammymulligan

What rights do I have re hotel booking

Post by jammymulligan »

Hi everyone..does anyone know if having recieved confirmation of a hotel booking at £10 for NOV 17th, can the hotel renege on the price and say the wrong rate was uploaded or do I have a legal contract as I have a copy saying I have a room at £10?
hydriot

Re: What rights do I have re hotel booking

Post by hydriot »

If the wrong rate was uploaded, that's their problem. It sounds to me as if you have a perfectly legally binding contract. In your place, I would simply pay the £10 on departure and invite them to take you through the Small Claims Court if they disagree. They are hardly likely to, as the damage to their reputation resulting from adverse publicity would cost them much more than the difference in room-price.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hi Jammy I googled and found this on one site. Have you checked the rules of the hotel you booked with. To my mind they should honour their email if that is confirmation of booking at that price. I personally would not take the chance as Hydriot would but that is just me.

Morally if not legally they should honour that booking at that price but check the website for any small print that either confirms they will honour or not.

I am bolsy so I would phone them and ask to speak to someone in charge if you feel you are in the right. I personally feel you are in the right if you have an email confirming that to me is a contract. If the boot was on the other foot they would enforce the booking with a penalty if you failed to turn up.

Reservations: Advance bookings made by telephone will be considered provisional and held for 7 days only, pending receipt of deposit.

Cancellations: In Britain the acceptance of a hotel booking by telephone or in writing is generally regarded as a legally binding contract. If you have cause to cancel your reservation, please advise us immediately and confirm in writing to us. If we are unable to re-let the accommodation, we are entitled to claim compensation, usually two-thirds of the agreed price. In your interests as guests, you are recommended to take out holiday insurance.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Paula

Post by Paula »

Last edited by Paula on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Paula

Post by Paula »

I check the rules of the hotel you booked.

Clauses 9 and 14 seem to contradict each other on the one hand they say they are not liable and on the other they said they are. Do we have a solictor in the house?

9. We accept responsibility for any services booked with us in accordance with our then current, applicable Booking Conditions from the time a binding legal contract between us comes into existence. We cannot, however, accept any other liability whatsoever.

10. Except as set out in clause 9 of these Conditions above, no warranties, promises and/or representations of any kind, express or implied, are given as to the accuracy or completeness of any of the material or information contained on this website or as to the nature, standard, suitability or otherwise of any services offered by us or on our behalf. We shall not be liable for any loss or damage or other sum or claim of any nature whatsoever (direct, indirect, consequential or other) which arises, directly or indirectly, in connection with this website including, for the avoidance of doubt and not by way of limitation, any use of any information or material contained in this website or any inability to access or use (or delay in doing so) this website.

11. All exclusions of liability apply only to the extent permitted by law and where consistent with clause 9 of these Conditions.

12. If any exclusion(s) or limitation(s) contained in these Conditions is found, in whole or part, to be unlawful, void or for any other reason unenforceable for any purpose(s), that exclusion(s) or limitation(s) or the part(s) in question shall be deemed severable and omitted from these Conditions for that purpose / those purposes. Such omission shall not affect the validity, effectiveness or enforceability of the other provisions of these Conditions.

13. Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions, we are entitled to the benefit of any applicable exclusions and/or limitations of liability permitted by the laws of any country found to be applicable to the information shown on this web site and/or any services offered by us or on our behalf.

14. The information contained on this website may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical and other errors. The information on these pages may be updated from time to time and may at times be out of date. We have the right to change the prices of the services featured or mentioned on this website at any time without prior notice. If any price is obviously incorrect, we will not be bound by it. We accept no responsibility for keeping the information on these pages up to date or liability for failure to do so. You must ensure you check all details of your chosen arrangements (including the price) with us by telephone or other approved means at the time of booking.
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan »

Thanks to you all for your feedback.
I booked Best Western Cromwell Rd through Booking.com and was delighted to get the room for £10. They sent me an e-mail confirming £10 as the total price, I stupidly emailed them some days later to double check the price and to-day they replied telling me the wrong rate was uploaded on the site and to click on the link to re-book. I didn't do this as I have a booking so don't need to re-book.
Hopefully things will work out, I will let you know. Wish I hadn't bothered to double-check!
Paula

Post by Paula »

This was also on their web site.

Good Luck!!!

Your contract

A binding contract between us comes into existence when we despatch our confirmation invoice to the party leader or your travel agent. English law governs this contract and all matters arising out of it. We both agree that any dispute, claim or other matter, which arises out of or in connection with this contract or your break, will be dealt with by the Courts of England and Wales only. Changes to these Booking Conditions or the General Information shown in our website will only be valid if agreed by us in writing.
elljay

Post by elljay »

Hi, I booked a hotel room in Glasgow for 06/11 through booking.com for the princely sum of £5........!!!!! Rather than worry that I'd be charged the full price on the day (£109) I phoned the hotel direct and was told that the price would be honoured because, although the wrong rate had been uploaded, this wasn't my fault and I had booked in good faith. The girl was really friendly and just accepted a mistake had been made that was no fault of mine.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Paula wrote:If any price is obviously incorrect, we will not be bound by it.
Jammy, if they try to squirm out of it by saying a £10 price "is obviously incorrect" you can tell them that I stayed at the City Travelodge near City Airport in London for £9 on the night of the O2 concert (17 July) so, if booked well in advance, such giveaway prices are perfectly believable and not in the least bit "incorrect". The full price of my room was, I think, £79.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan »

I've received this from the hotel:
As booking.com advised you the rates was loaded incorrectly by the system, it suppose to be £ 110.00. I believe you understand that paying a room £ 10.00 in central London is due to a mistake furthermore there was no any banner or ad for special promotion.
As you made already your arrangements for the concert I am willing to meet in the middle and confirm the booking at £ 55.00 inc VAT.

Please let me know if you wish to go ahead with this.

It seems ok but I did book for £10 and got a confirmation..almost make me feel it was me that uploaded the wrong hotel rate.
Thanks again for your advice

Pauline
few cloudy

Post by few cloudy »

What would you have been happy to pay when you first realised you needed to book a hotel room for the night? And in central London, not miles away near airports or whatever?

I think £55 is a good offer, accept it, forget about it, relax and enjoy your stay!

As others have said, you probably could argue, dig your heels in, go through small claims court and win. To save what is now 45 quid...unless there is a small admin fee for the small claims court in which case less....

....Assuming that you do win...!

Do the right thing.

fc
jammymulligan

Post by jammymulligan »

It's all over..and I'm happy with the outcome. Thanks again

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”