Confirmed and tentative fall dates

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tragicomix

Re: Confirmed and tentative fall dates

Post by tragicomix »

Thank you Henning.
I was online almost the whole day yesterday and watched how one unconfirmed venue after the other popped up while you were managing to get all of them into a system. Great work! Thanks man!
Now we know WHERE LC is going to performance, that's all we wanted and needed to make some plans.
All the rest, i.e. getting the tickets, flights etc. we must do on our own...
Henning

Post by Henning »

Yeah it was quite exciting how all this happened yesterday. I had no arrangement with Jarkko about this. I just thought I should do something while he is partying in London. Maybe he will buy me a beer in Berlin. Talking about Berlin. I hope some of you people show up for the concert. I am already in the process of organizing something around the concert on October 4, from Friday to Sunday. As I mentioned before ... more music, more fun.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
istvan

Post by istvan »

The concert in Wienna on the officielle website of the Konzerthaus is not on at the moment. To order the tickets via the site of the Konzerthaus not available.
In a dream of Hungarian lanterns
In the mist of some sweet afternoon
tragicomix

Post by tragicomix »

Just got an e-mail from the box office of the Konzerthaus in Vienna. Tickets will be available from next Wednesday.
damellon

Post by damellon »

Henning
A small but important point -
I think your name should be in red while you're deputising for Jarkko :D
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

damellon wrote:Henning
A small but important point -
I think your name should be in red while you're deputising for Jarkko :D

Absolutely ... and looking forward to more news about the Berlin party (aka something!) almost as much I was to the release of the tour dates :)
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
istvan

Post by istvan »

tragicomix wrote:Just got an e-mail from the box office of the Konzerthaus in Vienna. Tickets will be available from next Wednesday.
Thnx for the info! (also in the Konzerthaus thread)
In a dream of Hungarian lanterns
In the mist of some sweet afternoon
carr millite

Post by carr millite »

simonmoorehead wrote:where has liverpool gone?
One ticket site has Liverpool on 20th November in between the London and Birmingham gigs. The Liverpool Echo Arena only seats 10,000 though so I suggest you join their website just in case.
Here's hoping....
Habie

Post by Habie »

Re overdoing it : Henning's right. Go to as many as you can...

I reckon that if the concerts were poor, if we kept going back again and again just for the sake of it, because it's Leonard, while secretly not enjoying it, THAT would be overdoing it, and just plain stupid. We have the recordings, after all.

But since it turns out that this tour, these musicians, the sound quality and above all the grace and joyfulness of Leonard's demeanour and the evident pleasure he's taking in producing such fine music, are completely and unexpectedly amazing, given that he's 73 and unlikely to do another world tour after this one, given that many would say the performances are better than those on the recordings, and given that his live show is a million times more inspiring than just about any other performer (let's not have the Dylan debate again... but it's true....), given all that it seems foolish NOT to go and hear him as often as our budgets allow.

I would never have expected to find myself at 6 concerts in one year... but I don't regret it at all, despite the cost. I take different loved ones with me each time, which adds to the quality of the memories.

Btw, thinking about the fantastic quality of these concerts - can anyone think of any other performer[s] of today who give as much of themselves on stage and have such an inspired tour band? I'd love to hear...

(Btw, it doesn't seem cynical to me, for the tour managers to add more dates at short notice when a tour has turned out to be such an unexpected triumph... I'm sure they're doing their best, booking venues all over the world at the last minute, rescheduling the band, etc...)

Just my tuppence worth.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Habie, are you the one we met on Hydra in 2002 ?

Again and again it is a blessed feeling to see Leonard smile on stage. You don't need more reasons to see several show as just to see him smile. Though I have no doubt that the 3 hour show is hard work for him.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Habie

Post by Habie »

Hi Henning
Yes, I was on Hydra, and enjoyed your singing... I agree about his smile (as posted on another thread, a propos the London concert). Maybe see you again in the Autumn...
I hope the exhaustion of the tour won't make Leonard ill at the end of it all. x
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Habie wrote:Re overdoing it : Henning's right. Go to as many as you can...

I would never have expected to find myself at 6 concerts in one year... but I don't regret it at all, despite the cost.

I had to smile at this Habie. One year ago, I would never have expected to find myself at even one Leonard Cohen concert ever again, though I had long promised myself that I would travel to the ends of the earth and spend my life savings doing so if only there was ever one more opportunity somewhere on the planet. 10 shows on, with 5 more booked (4 of which I definitely intend to go to; I am not keen to repeat the O2 experience but booked anyway "just in case") I consider myself truly fortunate to have had this unexpected opportunity. I admit I was worried before our first show in Canada and my husband tried to prepare me for short shows and great disappointment. Instead I have witnessed a man at his peak, energetic and in best possible voice, much better than previous tours IMHO.

A few months ago, someone wrote on here that Leonard was in great shape, more like a 37 year old in fact than a 73 year old. It was definitely the 37 year old I saw skipping off stage last Thursday.

So I will carry on trying to get to the shows for as long as I am physically able and can beg, steal or borrow the money to do so. I did once make the mistake of adding up what the tickets and travel arrangements for the Spring / Summer tour had cost me. I won't be making that mistake again!

Wendy
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Habie,

I totally agree with your post above, about going to as many concerts as you can afford, and your suggested reasons for doing so. Three years ago, when I suspected this tour might be happening, I had £2000 set aside for it, but that disappeared when I had to give up my business premises. Thus, I've only caught two shows this time - first night Manchester and O2, but great seats for both. Also, I've seen Leonard sixteen times before - only ever missing two London shows (one in 1985 and one in 1988). Most that I ever did in a year was four in 1976. Like you, I always used to make a point of taking someone who hadn't seen Leonard before.

You're right about Dylan not coming close. His performances are far too erratic, and I've seen him perform over thirty times - almost once a year on average since 1968. Apart from Leonard's band, I find the only band that maintain a similar level of musical excellence and have a great female vocalist are Brian Wilson's Band (even though Brian himself fluctuates a little). I've seen them 35 times in six years at £50+ a throw, which has taken care of most of the rest of my savings! I'm slightly regretting that Leonard didn't tour seven years earlier, when I had the money. However, I definitely intend to come to at least one of the autumn shows.

All the best, John E
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

A short comment from Banff, Alberta. As I have mentioned before, I cannot update the listson regular basis while I am on the road.
Will be back in Finland on August 4. I have now got a list of the first confirmed dates, and it is at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-1.html
There will be more dates, but without a confirmed list from the tour management I cannot put it anywhere, and I have asked not to
post dates for unconfirmed venues. The tour management does not want to make the list public until the very last contract has been signed.
The list at http://www.leonardcohen.com is probably quite correct but not complete.
Without the official confirmation I unfortunately cannot do anything else.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tragicomix

Post by tragicomix »

Well, it comes as a shock to hear that the Frankfurt concert (as well as Oberhausen) is NOT confirmed yet. Hope it will be in near future. Not a second Waldbühne, please. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”