CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Diane

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by Diane »

H a l l e l u j a h !
daka

Post by daka »

and PRAISE THE LORD of the tower of song

Séan
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

The Leonard Cohen concert in Dublin on Saturday night was for me a truely outstanding experience which surpassed my high expectations. This is truely an event that anyone should not miss.

Anyone going to dates on the remainder of the tour are in for a special once in a lifetime experience. Everything was perfect, LC was amazing and put his heart and soul into a 3 hour long show (!), his voice was emotive and as good as it has ever been, he spoke eloquently and with grace and humour, the set list, arrangements, mix of poetry and music created a wonderful atmosphere, the musicians outstanding and the Webb sisters and Sharon absolutely incredible. For 3 hours I was transported to another spiritual world as was most of the other 10,000 + at the event. Woman oggled at Leonard beside me and the crowd went estatic many times. LC was taken aback with the crowd reaction, he was truely loved and there was love in the air. Who would ever think of people dancing in the aisles at a LC concert, crying with joy etc., in an emotionally charged atmosphere.

Thank you Leonard and all involved in producing this experience.
Hec

Post by Hec »

I was at Sunday's concert. It surpassed all my expectations. Leonard sounded brilliant as did the band and backing singers.The highlights for me were A Thousand Kisses Deep.His recitation was so beautiful. It gave new
meaning to and showed how personal these songs were to Leonard watching him performing the songs live.
Everyone sang along to So Long Marianne. So much so that Leonard did not join in some of the choruses. I suppose one
has to take a break when one can ! The only downside was an inebriated woman sitting a few rows back who drunkenly called out during the start of every song. She refused to stop when asked by people sitting near her. But when she shouted out during Suzanne everyone seated in a five row radius turned to her and told her to shut up and sit down. This drew the attention of the security manager who warned her to be quiet. Peace for the rest of the evening!
The songs performed from Ten New Songs sounded better with a live band than on the album.HIs rendition of Hallelujah was very powerful .I loved the way he got right into the more upbeat songs especially Closing Time. All in all it was the best concert I was ever at . Thank you Leonard. I still can't believe I've seen him live !
Honnoria
I was there

Post by I was there »

I was there on Saturday night and am still reeling from the sublime experience. I don't have enough superlatives to describe the ecstacy of feeling at seeing the great man play. How wonderful to be connected in such a spiritual way with so many people. What a man. I'm just glad I had the chance to share and will NEVER forget the experience. It's like a movie replaying in my mind and the melodies are lingering still. He said 'it's getting dark friends and soon we won't be able to see each other', I'm glad I caught that glimpse, I'm glad I was there. Love you Leonard. Mx
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

Sunday night stepping off the Luas at Heuston and the first raindrops started falling. Oh no why us? It's been dry for two weeks. What? - we were on our way to see Leonard. This was one of the few things that I really wanted in my life - to be in the presence of this incredible man who has sang me through the dark times of life - assuring me that I was not on my own, that someone else knew pain and longing and loneliness too - who accompanied me through the good times, who inspired me, who spoke to my soul, directly with no interference. And I was going to see him. Very soon. Minutes now, not hours. Thought about buying a rain mac for a fiver and thought, shit it'll be ok. The rain won't come (the incurable optimism of the Irish!).

I just can't describe how special, how inspiring and most of all how humbling it was to be in the presence of this man, who called me friend many times during the night, and whom I shall in future always think of as a friend. The concert has been described by others much better than I can, but I have to say that two days later I am just as much in love with this man as I was on Sunday night. His joy, his passion, his humility just bowled me over. Utterly. It was a privilege to be there. I laughed, I cried, I danced and I sang with him. This wasn't just a concert. This was a celebration of life, of the imperfection of being human. Leonard looked so serene and yet so full of the energy of life. My heart opened and I stopped listening with my ears - his music went straight to my heart and to my soul. Two days later and my soul is still dancing.

And yes the rain came, and it ran down my back and between my breasts and do you know what - I'm glad it did. It somehow changed things and the atmosphere became even more magical. We became completely oblivious to the rain as the only things that existed in that moment were beautiful words and voices and music and hearts joining together - hearts on the stage and hearts in the audience - all one. The look of love and joy and appreciation on Leonard's face as he thanked us more than once for sitting in the rain and listening to him, was enough. It's good to see you so happy Leonard. Really good. I can see that you've found real peace and real surrender.

And So Long Marianne was just incredible - sung like an anthem - his face beaming with joy on the big screens created a feedback loop of love and joy to the point where I thought my heart would burst. Hallelujah sung with a passion that brought him to his knees, and like another poster, 'If it be your will' is looping in my brain since - he seemed to live those words as he spoke them. And he thanked us again and wished he could bring us with him to all the concerts.....and thanked us especially for opening our hearts.... wow!

Leonard I am deeply grateful for the privilege..
derekchoochoo

Post by derekchoochoo »

Hi. This is my first posting. I was there on Friday night (Dublin). Amazing!!! Can anyone answer a query...the set listings all show A Thousand Kisses Deep as the poem LC recited. I have googled the words of it, but it is not how I remembered it from Friday. Am I going mad, or did Leonard recite a second poem???? I realise he also recited the first 2 verses of the encore that the Webb Sisters (beautifully) went on to complete. Can someone put my mind at rest please? Possibly I was so captivated by the whole experience I imagined a second poem (or different words)!
46jimbo

Post by 46jimbo »

The song "A Thousand Kisses Deep" is taken from a larger poem Leonard wrote. Check out these 2 links. Even there, the first verse he recites at the concert isn't in the printed poem on the second link. Obviously a work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4ZKLSf06w

http://pamelablog.wordpress.com/2008/06 ... sses-deep/
zintman61

Post by zintman61 »

Drunk at a Leonard Cohen concert...I just don't get it.

:?
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Being drunk at such a magical occasion is a complete waste of time. You fail to appreciate the splendour of the sung and spoken words that have so many meanings, in his interface with his audience. I am still smarting at what was one of the best concerts, Dublin has yet seen, in the enchanted gardens of the Museum of Arts. What a fitting place for Leonard to have his concerts, It was a spiritual experience. The Webb sisters are etched into my head with their version of If it be your will and I am glad to see this is on U Tube now. I wish that Leonard had come to Belfast and blessed us with a performance.

Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Vyv

Post by Vyv »

Was at Sunday's concert - songs still going through my head. What a night - never to be forgotten - I'm still on a high! Saw LC twice in the 70's and he was amazing - but I think he has - like a great wine - improved with age.

May thanks to Joe, Jack and Terry from belfast for my making Alex and Viv's day even more special - you were great company guys.
daka

Post by daka »

zintman61 wrote:Drunk at a Leonard Cohen concert...I just don't get it.

I don't get it personally at this point in my life either, BUT:

Leonard said that at some concerts he drank three bottles of red wine (just before heading up to five years of retreat at Mt. Baldy).... I imagine he was slightly drunk on those occasions.

Leonard spent much oh his life as a supreme hedonist, and it is not surprising that some of his fans still have a 'big swallow'. The concert was in Ireland, outdoors, and all in all I think we can say that the crowd was relatively well-behaved. (Leonard did say he would like to take the crowd with him to the rest of the tour concerts!)

I am a recovered hedonist and a teetotaller, but I used to have a big swallow. Now I need to be patient with those who are a bit out of sync with my long and winding and hilly road.

Sean
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
comet

Post by comet »

I may have posted this in the wrong place so here it is again

Leonard performed 3 concerts in Dublin over the weekend at the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham.

Friday 13th, Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th June 2008
The original plan was for just one concert on the Saturday night , But the tickets went in a flash, they added the Sunday and sold out again,
Then the Friday was added as well and it also sold out completely.

I booked early and had a ticket for Saturday night ,
All the reports about Fridays gig were of high praise for this man in his early seventies,
A man whose voice is warmer and better than it has ever been.

Leonard Cohen
Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin.

Saturday 14th June 2008

Song list as played: in brackets are the albums the original songs are on.

Leonard speaks:

" What a glorious welcome, Thank you so much, Please sit down. "

1 Dance me to the end of love ( Various Positions 1984 )
2 The Future ( The Future 1992 )
3 Ain't no cure for love ( I'm your man 1988 )
4 Bird on the wire (Songs from a room 1969 )
5 Everybody knows ( I'm your man 1988 )
6 In my Secret Life ( Ten New Songs 2001 )

Leonard speaks :

It's a great Honor to be in this great city of poets and writers,
It's been fifteen years since I was last on stage, I was 60 years old then,
Just a kid with a crazy dream......

7 Who by fire ( New skin for the old ceremony 1974 )
8 Anthem... Ring the Bells ( The Future 1992 )

Part One was about . 53 minutes long

Interval for 15 minutes or so...

9 Tower of song ( I'm your man 1988 )
10 Suzanne ( Songs of Leonard Cohen 1968 )
11 The Gypsy's Wife (Recent Songs 1979 )
12 Boogie Street with Sharon Robinson ( Ten new songs 2001 )
13 Hallelujah (Various Positions 1984 )
14 Democracy ( The Future 1992 )
15 I'm your Man (I'm your man 1988 )
16 A thousand kisses deep. Recited. ( Ten new songs 2001 )
17 Take this waltz (I'm your man 1988 )
18 Waiting for the miracle ( The Future 1992 )
19 First we take Manhattan (I'm your Man 1988 )
20 That don't make it Junk ( Ten new songs 2001 )
21 If it be your will. Recited / Webb sisters.( Various Positions 1984 )
22 Closing Time ( The Future 1992 )
23 I Tried to Leave you ( New skin for the old ceremony 1974 )
24 Finale - Whither thou Goest

Part Two was about an hour and forty minutes long, finishing just before 11 pm.

The concert was so good on Saturday Night that I found the venue on Google Earth
and located a place where we could hear the concert on the Sunday night,
We located a lane in the built up area on a hill opposite the venue
which had line of sight to the columns of 30 or so speakers that were hoisted
up on two cranes, We could hear the whole concert clearly but at a reduced sound level.
On the Sunday night the Song " So long Marianne " was added to the play list.

Song 21 IF IT BE YOUR WILL deserves a special mention for its amazing beauty and delivery,
Leonard recites the first verse and the Webb sisters Patti and Charlie take over with
just a harp to accompany them as the sky darkened over Dublin
you would swear you were listening to Angels descending from the clouds.

Contrary to the unjustified reputation of being depressing
Leonard has a wicked sense of humor and there was much laughter in the audience
of people ranging from their early teens to people in their nineties.
Sharon Robinson was his main backing singer on this concert along with the Webb sisters.

He referred to our voting on the Lisbon treaty laughingly and said

"Ireland continues to bewilder the world "

and his last words before he left the stage

"At the risk of offending any atheists, God bless ye ! "

I have loved Leonard's music since the sixties,
since the first time I heard Judy Collins sing Suzanne in 1966
confetti

Post by confetti »

daka wrote:
zintman61 wrote:Drunk at a Leonard Cohen concert...I just don't get it.

i go with all of you on this one I don't get it either not just at a Leonard concert but at any, it could have been a lot worse on Saturday night my night could have been ruined but it was just very slightly marred. I just feel sorry for the few people who were totally out of it, that they won't remember what it was like, that is a great shame.
Last edited by confetti on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
derekchoochoo

Post by derekchoochoo »

46jimbo wrote:The song "A Thousand Kisses Deep" is taken from a larger poem Leonard wrote. Check out these 2 links. Even there, the first verse he recites at the concert isn't in the printed poem on the second link. Obviously a work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4ZKLSf06w

http://pamelablog.wordpress.com/2008/06 ... sses-deep/
Many thanks 46jimbo...that answers it....I remembered the line with the "snowman" reference. So beautifully recited on Friday...one of those 'hairs on back of neck stand up' moments in life. Only wish there was a cd of LC reciting his poetry.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”