Venue for Dublin pre-gigs meet-up

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MFL

Re: Venue for Dublin pre-gigs meet-up

Post by MFL »

On the Irish names,
Leonard being a common surname in Ireland, this would be the Mac Giolla Fhinnín Cohen Forum.

:D
Marcie
Paula

Post by Paula »

Cheer Marcie - how do you pronounce Póilín. Sounds more like Pauline than Paula.

I am sure the Northern accent is just as beautiful. What has coloured my view on the northern accent is ian Paisley.

Tiggs and Marcie I shall listen for your dulcet tones :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
MFL

Post by MFL »

Hi paula,
Also one of my sisters name..At school she was called what sounds Like Pauline but with an O sound at the start, POleen.
I copied this from Irish names site. It is not an Irish name this is just the Irish Version.

Paula, Pauline Latin small Póilín PO eeleen

Chat very soon. :D
Marcie
tiggs

Post by tiggs »

Paisley is from mid ulster.. even northerners find that accent difficult :)
Unfortunately the only irish I have managed is agus... ie. fish agus chips and tequila agus cranberry :lol:
But no matter what the accent you if you can understand anthing we say you will find it warm and welcoming :)
daka

Post by daka »

Of course, Marcie, I did know that... I have a nephew named Liam... but why did the Gaelic dictionary give me that other name?

Anyways, are we all agreed, on how to address or long lost brother..... Liam!??????

And who will offer to take Liam, hangover and all, to the true church on Sunday morning?

Séan
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
daka

Post by daka »

Speaking of Gaelic names perhaps a few people don't know this part of the John Lennon story.

He was quite proud of his Irish heritage, and, as we know wrote some important songs expressing his feelings about Ireland and England and the' troubles'. ('Sunday Bloody Sunday' and 'The Luck of the Irish') He was quite pissed with England, actually! He named his second son Séan, as we all know.

Anyways, When he released 'Mind Games' as an LP in the early 70's, on the back of the album cover Lennon added a genealogical blurb on the 'Lennon' name, the variations of the name etc. This blurb finished, at the bottom, adding the comment that no one with that name had done anything remarkable or memorable in the world. To which Lennon replied:

Oh Yeah!

Séan
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
MFL

Post by MFL »

I'm sorry Séan, I can't help you with the other name, Maybe someone else can... Anyone ??? Sainmhíniú
tiggs wrote:Paisley is from mid ulster.. even northerners find that accent difficult :)
Unfortunately the only irish I have managed is agus... ie. fish agus chips and tequila agus cranberry :lol:
But no matter what the accent you if you can understand anthing we say you will find it warm and welcoming :)
I'm only learning Irish again myself, but I'm sure you also know this one .. uisce beatha.... :lol:
Marcie
Paula

Post by Paula »

Daka - this is the only thing I could find that was not written in Irish. Anyone who is Irish speaking there are loads of sites for them. Are there still that many who can speak fluent Gaelic. It looks like a very hard thing to learn.

sainmhíniú means "definition" not soulmate

there is a huge different between Gaelic spoken in Scotland and Ireland. In Irish Gaelic its Sainmhíniú = Peace

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... /viewtopic.

http://www.englishirishdictionary.com/d ... definition
Last edited by Paula on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
tiggs

Post by tiggs »

Have to find an Irish speaker in the pub tonight.. hope its nothing rude :lol:
hey your seats just across from mine , you must wave :)
MFL

Post by MFL »

tiggs wrote:Have to find an Irish speaker in the pub tonight.. hope its nothing rude :lol:
hey your seats just across from mine , you must wave :)
Is it Saturday your going ? If so yes I'll wave... :lol: I'm sure we'll meet-up before in the pub.
Don't worry, The pub is the place to ask.. Try the bar staff first, it's nothing rude... honestly... ;-) ;-)
Marcie
daka

Post by daka »

I think I'm needing that darkened room that Diane spoke of!!

Séan

tinderella

Post by tinderella »

So... William I will be hanging with the elderly then..... wow, if that's the case then someone will have a backstage pass with my name on it :)
Tiggs... How come you did not bag that gig to work at? You and Marcie have great seats for saturday. I am still looking for someone to accompany me on saturday, maybe I will find some fine handsome witty guy in the Brazen on friday ;-) who has a thing for older women :D
MFL

Post by MFL »

tinderella53 wrote:I am still looking for someone to accompany me on saturday, maybe I will find some fine handsome witty guy in the Brazen on friday who has a thing for older women
We are looking for a Handsome, Witty Man to accompany a Beautiful, Charming, Smart, Cheerful, Friendly, Leonard Loving Woman to the concert on Saturday night.

Daka can you help work your magic. There most be someone out there that fits... :D
Marcie
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

MARCIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :oops: ... thanks
Christine

Post by Christine »

What a lovely lot you are! Dam, when you're done with the chip van over there, can you please hurry up and start your world tour. I've recently re-joined the ranks of the unemployed and with a wealth of experience in a chip shop (one weekend long ago), I think I meet the qualifications listed in your ad.

Margaret, while I'm here, has Damellon yet plucked up the courage to mention that you and T are in charge of the blow-up beds? As in the actual blowing bit? No? Well, I'm sure she'll get round to it soon. Perhaps as she and Diane are scooting off to the first concert without you both.

Well, must run. Wish I was able to join you all. No need to wish you a great time - I can feel it already!

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”