Appeal to all pre-Toronto audiences

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Darling

Appeal to all pre-Toronto audiences

Post by Darling »

I'm editing this post to close this topic. I started it after getting angry that Radio-Canada's Info-Culture ignored the pre-Toronto shows. But I have succeeded in getting back to the blissful mood I was in after the Saguenay shows, so I am in a forgiving mood. 8)
Last edited by Darling on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodin

Re: Appeal to all pre-Toronto audiences

Post by Rodin »

The tour starts properly in the musical capital of the world - Manchester.
Misunderstood
Darling

Post by Darling »

I forgot to mention that this was on the cultural news, so there's really no excuse.
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

Good to see Leonard playing a few warm up gigs, getting the band into shape etc before Manchester kickstarts the whole wang dang doodle.
Misunderstood
50ftqueenie

Post by 50ftqueenie »

To be perfectly accurate the official word, and one that has been supported by many news reports I've read so far, is that last night's Toronto show *was* the official world tour debut. The other dates were warm-up dates. That does not mean that they were less important to the audience or to the musicians or to Leonard.

Playing smaller cities and venues as a warm-up for a major tour is a very common practice for many bands and performers.

Steph
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

Even though I saw three of the "warm up" shows, I believe 50ftqueenie (and I have to know that means!?) is right.

Note that the Sony Cohen site and AEG Live site began with Toronto and note that the Maritime shows had no merchandise (likely a business error on the part of AEG Live because even though western Canada thinks we're all on poggie we still have money to spend).

I look at it this way - this was not the easiest part of the world to play 7 cities (Maritimes + Newfoundland + Saguenay). Going to Newfoundland to play 3 shows for 800 people per night is a logistical/travel nightmare. And Saguenay is a long drive. But LC did it! And we were the beneficiaries! It's nothing to be ashamed of.

And I bet the hospitality he received at the venues, in hotels and in restaurants, and on the street is something he'll never forget. Due to the size of the cities I ended up within 30 feet of him twice while just out for a walk, once in Fredericton and once in Sydney. Later in Sydney I crossed paths with Rafael Gayol while he was out photographing, and we spoke briefly.
stfa

Post by stfa »

Well if these shows were but a dream...I hope I dream again tonight!!!!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
Darling

Post by Darling »

50ftqueenie wrote: Playing smaller cities and venues as a warm-up for a major tour is a very common practice for many bands and performers.

Steph
I know that, and with Steve I really feel we were privileged to see him in small locations (in fact I am sure we saw the best shows! :-)) but I wish that the newscast would have mentioned that he had played in other places before (it would have taken 2 seconds). They never said 'official' debut or anything like that.

I would really like to relive that dream too, stfa! :)
stfa

Post by stfa »

Amen Darling!
....and you know what I just checked prices at Toronto........the tickets I bought for Hamilton and Kitchener would have cost me $550 EACH SHOW!!!! so I guess I can live without the press acknowledgment in order to save a couple hundred and see Leonard twice :lol: :lol:
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
Darling

Post by Darling »

stfa wrote:Amen Darling!
... I guess I can live without the press acknowledgment in order to save a couple hundred and see Leonard twice :lol: :lol:
... in an intimate setting. You are very wise stfa, I guess I should learn to ignore those things and focus on the extraordinary, sublime memories of these precious nights (2 in Saguenay :-)). Thank you and sweet dreams of you know who!
phat

Post by phat »

I caught the Kitchener show and two Toronto shows so far, and the Toronto shows had noticeably less banter with the audience than the Kitchener one, so I think it's the Toronto audience that is missing out ever-so-slightly.
zintman61

Post by zintman61 »

ALL dates played prior to Toronto are on the tour poster...and none of them are listed as warm up shows. ;-)

The media (as usual) are taking liberties with their information.

...not to worry
stfa

Post by stfa »

Thanks zintman.....wish I'd bought one......anyway we have all been blessed.....a week later and I still think about the two shows I saw constantly.......I hope we all get our return visit!!!! (Official or unofficial!!!)
Yaanon

Post by Yaanon »

Get over it?
Montreal June 25th 2008| Coachella April 17th 2009| Las Vegas November 12th 2009
izielle

Post by izielle »

only we who were blessed to be a part of the "pre-tour" can really know how much everyone else is missing. let's have compassion for them and hope they feel as good about their shows as we feel about ours. Traveling thousands of miles and paying way too much money to get to Saguenay to be one of 900 or so dedicated souls to receive the LC communion on show night was priceless. At least for my circumstances, Lyon, Lisboa, New Jersey venues can never replicate what I experienced in rural french quebec. media be damned.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”