11th Toowoomba LC event invite

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Andrew (Darby)

11th Toowoomba LC event invite

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

11TH LEONARD COHEN BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION:
- TOOWOOMBA, 20TH & 21ST SEPTEMBER, 2003
(SPONSORED BY 'THE DANCING BEAR CAFÉ SOCIETY' IN CONJUNCTION WITH 'CHAOTIC 7')

Hi there folk!

The details of our 11th Leonard Cohen birthday celebration event (and 10th anniversary year) have now been finalised. Once more, we would like to extend a special invitation to you to attend our unique spring celebration! At this joyous time we will again indulge ourselves in the work and spirit of this inspiring and statuesque artist, who has with a certain singularity, forged a unique musical style - one that has to some extent been "discovered" by a new generation of musicians/fans 8) . It certainly has found its rightful place in that more serious genre within "popular music" (though his work is by no means devoid of humour - subtle though it might be).

Proceedings will again start with the Saturday afternoon session, which will be a video viewing one featuring various noteworthy videos of Cohen interviews, his poetry/prose, his time at the Mt Baldy Zen Centre and last, but not least, his music video clips. This session will transition naturally into the evening one, with the opportunity to purchase drinks, food etc and, at any rate, just relax into the flow towards the main evening event.

The Saturday evening session, whilst continuing with Cohen's recorded music, should have a satisfying balance: it will include various live performances of his songs, some readings of his poetry and prose, as well as the draws for lucky door prizes. Along with our wonderful local and other repeat performers, there will also be our special guest performers, 'The Big Brass Band' (a paradoxical name :wink: ), from Brisbane. As usual, you will be able to purchase the tasty and good value food (professionally catered for by 'C7' staff) enhanced by whatever alcoholic/other beverages you care to purchase or bring along to this licensed event.

The Sunday lunch session will again be held at 'The Barn' (Flagstone Creek) from about 12 noon onwards. This country café, made from ironbark slabs, is only twenty minutes or so from the Toowoomba city centre. Its picturesque rural setting and pleasant rusticity will certainly lend itself to some Cohen poetry/prose readings and laid-back guitar performances - in what should be a relaxing and enjoyable conclusion to the weekend.

We look forward to seeing you at this special event!

Yours in celebration,
Andrew (Darby) & Sandy Brown :D
(On behalf of the 'DB' committee)

P.S. Program/venue/accommodation/cost etc. details are as outlined below:

PROGRAM:

2.30pm, SAT, 20th - Video session
- various fascinating videos, including some newer ones which were first featured last year, finishing with the music video clips that will transition us into the evening program

7.00pm, SAT, 20th - Main evening session
- LC's recorded music
- Live performances of LC's music and poetry/prose
- Special guest performers: 'The Big Brass Band'
- Lucky door prizes ("The Essential Leonard Cohen" 2 CD album + LC's "Ten New Songs" album)
- Variety of food (incl. vegetarian) & beer/other drinks available

12 noon, SUN, 21st - Lunch session at 'The Barn' (Flagstone Creek)
- Choice of four grill cooked menu items (with vegetarian choices)
- Poetry/prose readings + guitar solos

VENUES:
Saturday sessions - 'C7' Cafe, Cnr Mark & Insurance Lanes, Toowoomba (lanes behind Bailey's building which is on the main intersection of Margaret & Ruthven Sts.)
Sunday session - 'The Barn' at Flagstone Creek (15 km south-east of city - map provided at Saturday sessions)

COST:
Saturday afternoon - free (except for coffee/tea/snack purchases)
Saturday night - $5 cover charge & pay as you order for food (good choice at very reasonable prices) and drinks (incl alcohol) ( + BYO)
Sunday lunch - Prices up to $18 (to be paid upon arrival & ordering
meal (+BYO)

ACCOMMODATION:
Numerous motels , guest houses, B & B's available
(Phone Tourist Information Centre – 4639 3797)
***Cheaper billet arrangements may be negotiable (contact Andrew)

RSVP:
If you plan to attend the Sunday lunch session, could you please let me know by Sunday, 14th -as well as any requirement you may have for vegetarian fare.

Phone Andrew: 07 46 987 107
E-mail Andrew: darby50@hotmail.com or sandyandy@ozemail.com.au
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Just in case you're wondering, Toowoomba is a city in the state of Queensland, here in Australia. It is about 130 kilometres west of Brisbane (the state's capital city), where you could fly in from just about anywhere in the world, I would think! :wink:

Of course you wouldn't fly all that way just to come to our event :roll: , so you would, while you were 'down under', visit the Great Barrier Reef and tropical north, the 'outback' and Sydney or Melbourne. If you were into the Steve Irwin thing (the crocodile wrestling or other reptilian death wishes :shock: ) you could even visit his zoo, not too far from here!

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Andrew ~

"....or other reptilian death wishes :shock: " ~ :lol: ~ well said.

Your event sounds great....too bad plane fare is in the thousands, from most anywhere I'd guess! Is September considered spring in Australia? Perhaps the weather determines the assignment of the seasons, after all. I'd never really considered it until I saw that. Here, it's considered fall. I recall Jarkko saying it was another season there than what it is here when he mentioned Australia, but I can't remember what the season was.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Elizabeth

I know what you mean about the air fares - I face the same issue (in reverse directions) when it comes to the NY 2004 event! :(

You're right about the seasons - it's our spring at that time of the year, though LC's birthday is a day or so before the vernal equinox (if you are in the northern hemisphere). Also, Jarkko did make a reference to our being in winter at present, whilst you northeners are all enjoying summer. We Aussies (& Kiwis) notice this latter phenomenon when we travel, say to Europe, as we have to peel off or rug up (depending on departure and destination points) when we head to and fro across the Equator.

Cheers
Andrew (Darby) :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh dear, Andrew ~ now, yes, I see exactly what you mean. I'd somehow forgotten that if it's that much one way, the likelihood is that it's that much from the other direction, too. Can you join us by satellite in 2004? "Rug up" ~ sounds like another Aussie expression to me :lol: .
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

lizzytysh wrote: "Rug up" ~ sounds like another Aussie expression to me :lol: .
Elizabeth, I'm not sure - I guess it must be (though it could be a British one).

The satellite idea is worth considering - do you mean by a broadcast link-up? :? (If so, I'm just not sure how this would work: who would arrange it and how much it would cost.)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I have no idea, Andrew ~ it sounds like a Geoff/Dr. Kim issue to me, since I understand that the latter did it with his event. For an event of this magnitude, with so many from the other side of the world unable to attend [$$$], it sure would be great if it could be arranged! Of course, for starters, those planning to come need to be making and paying on/up their reservations 8) .
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Andrew, I've asked Matron if I can have a few days of non-respite care and she has agreed with the senior medical staff, to allow me to rebuild my 1948 WindSurf equipment. I intend to sneak out and make my way to the local river, where I shall set forth and head in a southerly direction for about 4500 miles. I'll then hang loose for a while and wait for the Earth to rotate until I collide with Australia. But don't worry because I'll be taking some sandwiches and a flask of tea with me. I should be with you in time for last orders. I can't wait. It's so exciting and Matron thinks it will do me the world of good. She's even given me some special new tablets tonight which will give me the strength to do the whole trip in one go. I really am very lucky here with the way the staff look after me. See you soon, regards from Byron. aka; Albert Scroggins. I hope this isn't another one of those episodes I sometimes have. I do feel rather peculiar at the moment.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Andrew, Byron has fallen into a deep sleep, (we don't know who dug it) but he will not be able to attend. Can I come instead? Matron.

aka Paula.

Or was that someone else? Bugger, I've had the wrong tablets...........

Have a great time down there, from a jealous pommie bastard. :D
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Dear Matron

I think that Byron should be allowed to 'come down' under for a therapeutic visit. What's more, after visiting our LC event, he may need to complete his recovery at one of our beautiful coastal resorts! 8) Now I know just the place. In fact, it's got his name all over it: it's called Byron Bay :!: It's located on the north coast of New South Wales, about 4 hrs drive from me and he will (in good time) recover and then be able to re-launch his fragile craft into the sea and venture back home!

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)

P.S. Matron, perhaps you should accompany Byron - the treatment you would receive would also do you good! :wink:
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Byron, no excuses to Rolf Harris, "Room on your surfboard for two?"
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.

Return to “Other gatherings”