Nanci Griffith

This section is for all other music-related topics
Joe Way

Nanci Griffith

Post by Joe Way »

Anne & I went to see her in Madison on Friday night. She really puts on wonderful concerts. We had seen her over ten years ago and it was one of the best concerts we've attended. If you are not familiar, she is sort of West Texas folkabilly with a very nice delivery and eclectic song mixes. Her two albums of covers, Other Voices/Other Rooms and Other Voices/Other Rooms Two(A Trip Back to Bountiful) contain some wonderful material that is nostalgic while being well presented and true to the originals. Her song, The Power Lines, is my mantra for my cross country skiing adventure, the American Birkebeiner, as I climb up the Power Line hills (along with Leonard's line-"I can't make the hills, the system is shot.")

She will be in Ireland (for our Irish friends) in August. Hope you can see her there.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Joe Way

Re: Nanci Griffith

Post by Joe Way »

Someone from Ireland had posted a response and it is gone now. I did not have a chance to respond previously, but I wanted to tell that person who mentioned the beautiful harmony that Arlo Guthrie added to Nancy's version of Townes Van Zandt's song, "Tecumseh Valley" that they should check out Jennifer Warnes, The Well where Arlo joins her with more beautiful harmony on "The Patriot's Dream."

Nanci has now added two dates in July where she will be performing in London.

Joe
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Hi Joe
I don't know much about Nanci Griffith, although I seem to be dabbling more and more on the edges of folk/country. I recently saw Patty Griffin live (similar name and similar territory I think).

I also didn't know that was Arlo Guthrie singing with Jennifer Warnes (CD covers are too hard to read these days). I love the way his voice balances Jennifer's, it makes the song. I now know that it his song afterall. I might also download 'Tecumseh Valley'.

Enjoy your skiing.

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Blonde Madonna,

I will add "Tecumseh Valley" to my Muxtape tonight if I have a chance-also "The Patriot's Dream" with which it seems you are familiar. I know what you mean about the printing on the cd cases these days-the ones that really get me are the ones printed in dark colors with dark though somewhat contrasting printing-absolutely hopeless for me to try and read them unless I have a big magnifying glass in hand (which I usually don't).

We took my brother along to the Nanci Griffith concert and he had never heard of her either. He told me that she reminded him of Emmy Lou Harris if that gives you some idea. I've been listening to many of her cd's since the concert and I had forgotten how many good songs that she has. Although she has that light southern twang in her voice, her songs have an artistry about them in which it is evident that they are very carefully crafted. Her stage presence is also warm, funny and her generous spirit comes through very clearly.

Skiing is (hopefully) over for this year. Anne and I leave tomorrow for the sunny south to try and thaw out after a terrible winter. I suppose your fall is just beginning-though I don't know if where you are in Australia that it gets very cold. We're looking forward to seeing you in Hamilton.

Joe
Kush

Post by Kush »

Hi Joe,

Nanci Griffith's version of Tecumseh Valley with her band member James Hooker is the one that really nailed it for me. I think it is more sexy than the Griffith/Arlo Guthrie version....and I like it better than the original too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXOSLlur1Tc

I am not a great fan of Nanci Griffith but I generally like her music....I have her recent album Ruby's Torch which is excellent.
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

The Irish poster back again. The reason that my last post disappeared was that I went in to edit the spelling of Tecumsey and deleted it in error and had not the time to write it all again .I still have to admit that I prefer Arlo doing the harmonies . Its still a great song :razz:
frankiecrisp

Post by frankiecrisp »

Ive always loved Nanci Griffiths version of Dylans Boots Of Spanish Leather.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k1KxthvX1Ms
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

Yes that version of Dylans Boots Of Spanish Leather is well worth a listen.Awesome :D
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Kush & all,

Thanks for all the great youtube links-I always forget to check those and once I do-I'm done for hours.

James Hooker wasn't on this tour with her-and he was very missed, I thought. In addition to his great vocals, his piano stylings add so much to her songs. I think I still prefer Arlo's voice on this particular song, but it is probably more due to my overall fondness for Arlo. I really enjoyed the version of "Boots of Spanish Leather"-if it was the same one that I watched (I went directly from the youtube link) the dobro player was just excellent.

My favorite of the youtube videos, though, was Maura O'Connell singing "Trouble in the Fields" with Nancy. Anne's Mom is an O'Connell girl and her Grandfather O'Connell was born and lived in County Kerry until he was 17. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8l87JpWkbI0&feature=related

Edit to add one other Youtube that I've sent around to my family-Maura O'Connell singing, "Down By The Sally Gardens." http://youtube.com/watch?v=C2UZReQGNVI&feature=related

We laid Annie's Aunt Dorothy to rest yesterday and as one of the O'Connell girls, I wish they had played this song. It wasn't that she was lacking for music (someone who sang for the Pope in Washington, D.C. sang at her funeral) but that it is such a touching song that delves back into the roots of all our longing.

I'm going back to youtube now!

Joe

P. S. Kush, I'm really developing a fondness for Bryn Terfel!
frankiecrisp

Post by frankiecrisp »

Joe Way wrote:

I really enjoyed the version of "Boots of Spanish Leather"-if it was the same one that I watched (I went directly from the youtube link) the dobro player was just excellent.

The brilliant Dobro player is Jerry Douglas from Alison Krauss and Union Station

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ClKSED3yM3w

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TDEfYKoVOJU
lonndubh

Nanci Griffith

Post by lonndubh »

That is fantastic . Saw Alison Krauss and her band Union Station at a venue in Dublin some years back.Cant remember for the life of me where that was. :?: The Dobro player Jerry Douglas is brillent and like Arlo Guthrie he keeps turning up in lots of places
annie blue

Post by annie blue »

Isn't it lovely to see people discovering music that you have loved for ever. Please, everyone, rush out and buy/download these two albums: 'Late Night Grande Hotel' and 'Little Love Affairs'. I can guarantee you wil love them both. Little Love Affairs doesn't have a bad track on it and is one of my favourite albums ever. I'm a tad disappointed that there are no localish concerts to go to on her tour this year. She is sparkling live. Go on, enjoy :D :D
I never answer, since it isn't you.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Annie Blue,
I somehow missed your post-I'm glad that we have another Nanci fan! Can I also recommend, the album the Nanci did with the London Symphony? I can't remember the name. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in England-she is doing two concerts in London.

Joe
annie blue

Post by annie blue »

Hi Joe, it's The Dust Bowl Symphony and I also have this along with Other Voices, Other Rooms. I'm a northern lass and don't get down to the smoke too often. Would rather see her in a smaller venue as I did before. Thanks though. Nice to meet you :)
I never answer, since it isn't you.

Return to “Other music”