Saguenay Meet Up

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
izielle

Saguenay Meet Up

Post by izielle »

If any Saguenay locals or travelers are interested in meeting up during the shows, please respond here and let's get something together. I don't know yet whether I will fly into Montreal or Quebec City, nor how I will be getting to Saguenay. Hopefully some locals will respond and enlighten us about the area. I am willing to consider pooling together resources for transportation and accommodation.
jglBB

Re: Saguenay Meet Up

Post by jglBB »

From Montreal, you can flly directly to Saguenay/Bagotville airport. Air Canada has 3-4 daily flights. I think there is another company too, but I don't know them.
izielle

Post by izielle »

Flying into Bagotville adds an extra $300 to my ticket which I would rather have for a car and lodging.
Last edited by izielle on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darling

Post by Darling »

izielle wrote:Flying into Bagotville adds an extra $300 to my ticket which I would rather have for a car and lodging. Speaking of lodging, I got word from the University of Quebec that they have rooms for $40 a night plus tax. I believe the campus is less than a mile from the Auditorium.
You are right, you will be better off keeping your money to rent a car, unless you have very little time. A car will allow you to visit the area and to see some nice scenery. If you have time you may want to go through Tadoussac which is in a very beautiful bay and a starting point for whale watching tours. Hopefully, the weather will be nice...

If it's not a big price difference and don't have time to visit Montreal you are better off flying to Quebec city, it's a much shorter ride...
Darling

Post by Darling »

For info about the Saguenay region:

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/sagu ... jean0.html

To get a brochure: go at the bottom of page to click on the country you are from and specify you are interested in the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean region (and any other you want)
https://www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/bro ... mmande.php
MaiaEvrona

Post by MaiaEvrona »

I'll be going to Saguenay. I think I'm going to go there from Montreal or Quebec City (I live in Boston). I'm not sure how I'm going to do all this. I'm definitely open to meeting up and pooling resources. Is there a train?

Maia
izielle

Post by izielle »

There is a train that travels from Montreal to Jonquiere called the Via Saguenay. I've read that it is breathtakingly beautiful but it takes about 9 hours and adds approximately $100-140 to the trip. The public transport option from Quebec City to Chicoutimi is the Intercar bus system which takes 2.5 hours each way. I have not been able to find out the rates for the bus ride. Personally, I am eager to explore Quebec City and the northern coast which, unlike Montreal, I may not have an opportunity to visit again.

Maia, stay tuned in for plans. Maybe some quebecoise can recommend a brunch place for Sunday morning after the shows. Of course, I will try to be patient as there is plenty of time for planning.
Darling

Post by Darling »

You can get info about the train at this adress, but beware, the train does not run everyday and make sure you calculate some extra time because Viarail trains are often late.

http://www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_queb_mojo.html

Here is the site of the bus company that runs to Chicoutimi/Jonquière, sorry, it's in French only. I phoned for you because I am not sure if their tollfree number works outside Quebec: one-way Montreal-Chicoutimi (where the show is, Jonquière is about 16km from there) is 90$, 140$ return. You have to take Orleans-Express to Québec city and the Intercar to Chicoutimi but you buy only one ticket even if you are starting in Montreal. I forgot to ask about the fare from Quebec city, but it's probably around half.

http://www.intercar.qc.ca/index.html

I would offer you a ride but I am coming from Rimouski on the other side of the St-Laurent River. I may be going to Montréal after, but I am not sure so I cannot promise anything, I am not too good at planning so long in advance.

As you said, there is plenty of time to plan a meeting, it might be fun. Anyone crazy enough to come from Puerto Rico (or even Boston) to Chicoutimi to see a show ought to be an interesting person! :D How I wish I was in Puerto Rico right now, we are having a particularly bad winter that doesn't seem to want to end!

I am not especially familiar with Chicoutimi as such, but if you have any questions about quebecois culture, Montreal, Quebec city or anything else, I will do my best to anwer them. I can tell you that the Saguenay river is very beautiful.

Make sure you try our national junk dish, the 'poutine' (nothing to do with Russia). I personnally don't like it but most people do: it's made of French fries, topped with a brown sauce and cheese chunks (yes I know, it's disgusting)
izielle

Post by izielle »

yummmm... french fries smothered in gravy sounds lovely.

The grass is always greener: the last few days have been heating up. Winter is definitely over. Goodbye cool mid 70s. I really wouldn't mind a break from all this sweating.
Last edited by izielle on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darling

Post by Darling »

Too bad were not in Star Trek, we could teleport and swap! 8)
izielle

Post by izielle »

does mr. cohen speak french fluently? is he likely to speak to the audience in Chicoutimi in french or in english?
Darling

Post by Darling »

I think he will speak mostly in English with a few words in French.
Darling

Post by Darling »

Izielle,

It seems I might have been mistaken, from Steve Wilcox who saw the Fredericton show:
I wish I'd had a better attitude towards studying French in school. Of the 20 songs he played I think he introduced up to 18 of them in French.

Start practicing, only 18 days left! :D
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

Don't worry Izielle. If you can say "oui" and "non", that will be fine.
You just have to learn which one to say on which occasion. :lol:
izielle

Post by izielle »

I also have in my french repertoire "je ne parle pas francais" and "ou est le toilette?" Not that any of that will help me with Mr. Cohen, unless gods and the angels have mercy on me and find a way for me to be inconspicuously backstage. However, with the big day approaching, I don't care if he speaks Esperanto. My heart will understand every utterance.

On another note, perhaps a formal meet-up is too much to handle considering we are all about to experience a once in a lifetime musical miracle. But if someone could be kind enough to name a bar or cafe where informal meet-ups might occur that would suffice. I will be there on the first night of the show but I only have a ticket for the second night. So I will definitely be on the look out for LC vibes that friday night.

A bientot!

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”