What other artists do you listen to?

This section is for all other music-related topics
Kathleen

What other artists do you listen to?

Post by Kathleen »

I'm just curious as to which other artists do people from this board listen to.
For me, I'd have to say my other favorites are:
Bruce Springsteen
Johnny Cash
The Clash
Bob Dylan
openeye

Re: What other artists do you listen to?

Post by openeye »

I enjoy Matthew Good, Hayden and Sarah Harmer.
conoalias

Post by conoalias »

this is my top 10 artists (with amount of songs on the right side) i've listened to so far this year.

openeye

Post by openeye »

When I listen to long-time favourites, it is Joni Mitchell and Neil Young (he is still current - I just got his latest CD). I also like Beck, Death Cab for Cutie, The Tragically Hip.
Mostly I listen to Matthew Good. I have seen him perform here at a bar in the small city I live in. I was the second oldest person there...the oldest was a woman my daughter referred to as a "grandma".
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Well, this is what I've posted on my myspace page, so I guess it's fairly representative!

Leonard Cohen, Anjani, Brian Wilson (and his band), Taylor Mills, Stockholm Strings 'n Horns, Elin Ruth, Arthur Lee and Love, Michael Chapman, Mike Randle, Zombies, Bob Dylan, Julie Felix, Felicity Buirski, Terry Reid, Procol Harum, George Harrison, Beatles, Nick Drake, Donovan, Francoise Hardy, Scott Walker, Walker Brothers, P.P. Arnold, Nina Simone, Stones and Beach Boys (60s - mid-70s), Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Sixties Soul, Byrds, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Tim Hardin, Jimmy Webb, P.F. Sloan, Bob Lind, Tony Hazzard, Lovin' Spoonful, Tim Buckley, Incredible String Band, Mott the Hoople, Small Faces, Bonzo Dog Band, Kinks, Television, Tom Verlaine, Blondie, John Cale, Patti Smith. Plus various artists on Elektra and Dandelion records.

All good things, John E
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

Leonard Cohen, Chicago, Peter Cetera, Elton John, Bernie Taupin,
Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Prince, Madonna, "Weird Al" Yankovic.
Last edited by Yankovic on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
John Etherington

Yankovic - add Elton John's very first album "Empty Sky" to my list. I'm probably the only person who thinks that was his best album.
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Lenny(of course)and
Bob
Tom Waits
Bowie
John Cale
Neil Young
Led Zeppelin
Miles
Frank Sinatra
Bill Evans
Nick Cave
Radiohead
R.E.M
Mercury Rev
Brian Wilson/Beach Boys
Warren Zevon
Bruce
Johnny Cash
White Stripes
Blue Nile
Captain Beefheart
Scott Walker
Townes Van Zandt.....you get the idea
Darling

Post by Darling »

Tom Waits (Heart of Saturday Night = one of the best albums of all times in my humble opinion)
Lou Reed
Leo Ferré
Richard Desjardins
Nirvana
Johnny Cash
Neil Young
old Elton John's
etc...
John Etherington

Hi Table Top Joe,

Interesting list you've got there...it pretty much spans the last fifty years of popular music. Good to see that Brian Wilson is included
as I rarely see his name mentioned in the LC world. Have you heard "That Lucky Old Sun" (surely his greatest work in 40 years)?

All good things, John E
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Thanks John,it does lean toward the melancholy but i like to think its reasonably eclectic(actually its not really is it? :) ),cant believe i forgot Arade Fire and The National!...only new bands i love,i like Billie Holiday too....and Stax and Motown.....and Jazz......anything except Rap or Heavy Metal :D

Edit:the reason i replyed was to write about Brian Wilson....then i forgot to :oops: ......im a huge fan of "Smile",easily my favourite album of his(including Pet Sounds),its extraordinary,it would have had a huge influence on music had it been released back in the day imo......havent heard anything of "That lucky old sun" yet,looking forward to it.....im also a fully paid up member of the "I hate Mike Love club" :lol:
ania

Post by ania »

table top joe wrote:Lenny(of course)and
Bob
Tom Waits
joe my friend!! fancy seeing you here hehe ... :D
but you put bob before TOM?!?!?! :shock:
"It's strange. You never start out life with the intention of
becoming a bankrupt or an alcoholic or a cheat and a thief.
Or a liar." -- Raymond Carver
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

John Etherington wrote:Yankovic - add Elton John's very first album "Empty Sky" to my list. I'm probably the only person who thinks that was his best album.
Yes, Empty Sky from 1969 was Elton John's first album, but it was not released in the U.S. until 1975. I'm in the minority because my favorite Elton John-Bernie Taupin album is the motion picture soundtrack to the 1971 movie, "Friends". The sweetest album ever. This album has never been released on CD and Elton John refuses to release it on CD. He claims it's because recording and producing that album was so stressful and he doesn't want to be reminded of it. It's the only Elton John album that has never been reissued on cd in its original format and probably never will.

But all 10 songs from the Friends soundtrack are available on the 1992 double CD Rare Masters, which includes 27 other songs as well.

They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

ania wrote: but you put bob before TOM?!?!?! :shock:
[/b][/color]

:oops: Sometimes its Bob,sometimes its Lenny,sometimes its Miles,sometimes its Tom....(dont tell the others :razz: )
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

to name but a few of my fave artists:

David Gray
Vic Chesnutt
The Gutter Twins
Wire
The American Music Club
David Sylvian
Neill Finn
Cpt Beefheart
John Cale

A strange mixture, isn't it? :?
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam

Return to “Other music”