Anjani's next album

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
jarkko
Site Admin

Anjani's next album

Post by jarkko »

http://www.brandonsun.com/story.php?story_id=90535

Brandonsun.com - February 11th, 2008
LOS ANGELES - Leonard Cohen's paramour is working on a new album.

Jazz singer Anjani Thomas says she'd been writing material for two years but kept scrapping the songs she'd penned. She says she's now got a collection she's happy with and hopes to start recording next month.

Thomas's last disc, "Blue Alert," was co-written with Cohen, who supplied some of his poetry and songs as inspiration.

This time, Thomas says she's doing most of the writing, but says one or two songs will be co-written with Cohen.

She says she consults her famous partner when songwriting, but admits he's a tough critic.

"It's hell," she joked during a pre-Grammy party.

"It's not for sissies - he's brutally honest, which is what I want. I don't want him to pander to me just because I'm making his lunch. So, it's a good relationship. It's good to have a sounding board."
Baldwyn

Re: Anjani's next album

Post by Baldwyn »

I'm a little surprised that he's a tough critic, especially after the Glass collaboration ;) I'm sure Leonard is diplomatic in his criticism.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

This sounds very promising. It's a good thing to have honest criticism, and I've always appreciated it myself (even if it's difficult to take, at first). An album as good as "Blue Alert" is a hard one to follow.
All good things, John E
astranger

Post by astranger »

Can anyone offer any opinions on Anjani's first two albums?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

In any case she's much faster than Leonard. Whole record while he's still probably pondering is his first track good enough for his tough criteria ;-) And it took only 3 years 8)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Astranger ~

One's gorgeous and the other's sublime. The first... self-titled "Anjani" is highly varied in the nature, lyrics, and presentation of her songs. They relate to situations from her own life and causes she embraces. The latter... "The Sacred Names" is closer to the Anjani we know and love today. The songs are a collection of compositions she's written based on sacred names for G~d.

Haha... a hell that so many artists would love to have a near-death experience to be in ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tonys

Post by tonys »

Leonard Cohen is getting on the side of self indulgent, he's getting like what John Lennon was to Yoko Ono, the women i'm sure has no writing talent but because she knows Leonard Cohen her songs will get out there...but I'm beginning to really look down on Leonard Cohen mainly because he's been cancelling his new album for a year and a half and cancelled the reissues series after announcing they'd release them all, so i've really turned sour on Leonard Cohen...plus he's a horrible singer and his songs all sound the same so i don't know what t he big fuss was about anyway...i don't even know why i have all his cds, poetry books and dvds (the few that are out)...he didn't even have the decency to release his 2 shows at austin, that's how arrogant Leonard Cohen is...so now he edits Anjani, he's really come up in the world...or is it down? :razz:
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

tonys

Re-read Tom Sakic's answer to you on the SONY BMG REMASTERS FEB. 1 Thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10052&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tonys ~

You really are getting bored waiting, aren't you? Well, hopefully, that means one more ticket for someone else ;-) .

You don't know anything about Anjani; nor much about Leonard, as most everything you've noted is misinformation-based as to how things have or haven't come to be.

Leonard can self-indulge to his heart's content, as far as I'm concerned. I wish him only well.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
tonys

Post by tonys »

I know alot more about anjani than you think i have her last cd...my problem is the reissues not coming out and leonard not taking a stand for his fans...it's getting to the point where i'm thinking of taking all my leonard cohen cds to the record store for store credit, i'm thinking of trading them in for nick cave cds...and it's all about 1) the reissues not coming out 2) the new album getting cancelled 3 times 3) anjani abusing leonard 4) no lyric book ever published 5) no austin concerts on dvd issued...these are serious allegations that should've been answered.
William

Post by William »

Tony - God bless you. A man (I assume) after my own heart.
Sad to see talented wasted on the talentless.
No point in having a dog and barking yourself.
opendoor

Post by opendoor »

Vitriol (like misery) loves company.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Like os all.......................
love is not forgotten......
Tim

Post by Tim »

tonys wrote:I know alot more about anjani than you think i have her last cd...my problem is the reissues not coming out and leonard not taking a stand for his fans...it's getting to the point where i'm thinking of taking all my leonard cohen cds to the record store for store credit, i'm thinking of trading them in for nick cave cds...and it's all about 1) the reissues not coming out 2) the new album getting cancelled 3 times 3) anjani abusing leonard 4) no lyric book ever published 5) no austin concerts on dvd issued...these are serious allegations that should've been answered.
Oh for heavens sake!

1) Why should the record company remaster/reissue CDs to your timescale? They'll release them when and if they want to. Does anyone know how well the first batch of remasters sold?

2) Leonard is not the first or only artist to postpone the release date of a recording. I bet even Nick Cave has done that in the past.

3) What??

4) Have a look in 'Stranger Music', there is the odd lyric or two in there.

5) As Jarkko has explained more than once, that's a rights issue between Sony and the organisers of those concerts. Nothing Leonard can do about that.

Tim
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

(1) Out of Leonard's control. He 'just' writes the music and songs and sings them. When the originals are no longer in your control, the reissues don't make a sudden flight home to their birthplace. Take it up with Sony.

(2) Good things are worth waiting for... great things even longer. [Returning every last cd won't do a thing to alter time... time's stubborn like that.]

(3) Take it up with Leonard, but I don't think you're going to push him around in his life, any more than Anjani is... abuse :razz: ; sorry, no openings in the Cohen-Thomas household for you.

(4) There are lyric songbooks around, some maybe on ebay. Most Leonard and Leonard/Anjani cds come with printed lyrics.

(5) The horse is buried.

Good day, Tonys.

William ~ You've been around long enough to know how life happens. It never goes according to plan. There's always at least one detail out of place... generally, a plethora of them.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Related Artists”