Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
Steven

Re: Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Post by Steven »

I am very envious of all of you. Wish I were going. :cry:

Have a safe and enjoyable trip. :)
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hello Margaret -- yes, yes, I think I can make this. I replanted myself here, oh, just a little over half my life ago and while the soil's a little different and I sometimes have trouble with my lettuces, it's home. But so's England. All of my family's in England & Ireland and I was planning on coming home later this year so it's working out just perfectly timing wise. Very happy I get to meet you.

Dar, I wish it wasn't just a wish. I can think of no finer travel partner from these shores and with only 5 car hours between us, we could start here. Imagine the trouble we can get into and that's before we even leave. I'll bring my hangover remedy for you.

What a relief, Kerstin! Thank goodness you're coming. My hair's as unruly as this great crowd and now I get to hear both you and Henning sing.

Thanks to Ken and everyone for all the info. See you all there. And sorry you'll miss it, Steven.
Judy

Post by Judy »

Yes, Diane, we are hoping to join you all in October and maybe stay a bit longer to visit friends and family up north. I love Wales ... lots of happy memories ... but never thought I'd get to climb/walk/crawl up Snowdon with folk who love LC's music and writing as much as I do. Thank you for organising it all.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Excellent, Judy.

Steven, can you not acquire vast sums of money; we'd love to have you along.

When Tim and I put up this thread, we had no idea what sort of reaction there would be. Thanks people. It'll be a memorable weekend, I imagine. We hope more people will add their names to the list.

Welcome to Wales. Croeso i Gymru !
Steven

Post by Steven »

Diane,

Nice to know that you'd love to have me along. And I'd really love to do so; there are
few people that love hiking and the outdoors as much as I do and along with you
and the others to share this experience with, I know it would be absolutely great.
Doesn't look as if I'm going to be able to "acquire vast sums of money" and the time off from work to do so, though. Thanks to you and Christine for the kind words. It's a continent
away, but I'll be there in spirit and will look forward to hearing about the trip when all of
you return.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Rule 1. At sunset, the city gate of Chester is closed and any Welsh persons still within the City Walls, are to be locked up for the night. This old City by-law still exists. Chester is on the border with Wales and the English knew what to do in the good old days.

Rule 2. The Welsh pray on their knees and their neighbours. Hence the need for Rule 1. ;-)

Rule 3. Scousers have a great sense of humour and a very casual approach to the concept of personal ownership.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

John

Isn't there an ancient law which they forgot to rescind about any welshman found in Chester after dark can legally be shot with a bow and arrow?

Or is that just a bit of scouse wishful thinking.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

John

History backs you up………

The Curfew On The Welsh

The story about the Welsh being excluded from Chester after dark originated during the Glyndwr rebellion of 1403. Henry, Prince of Wales (future Henry V) was also Earl of Chester and on 4 Sept 1403 he ordered that all Welsh people and Welsh sympathisers should be expelled from the City; none should enter the city before sunrise or stay after sunset on pain of decapitation (not hanging, but it would have the same effect!). There are records of people standing surety for the good behaviour of Welshmen arrested under the order. The text books don't refer to anyone ever paying the maximum penalty for this 'crime'. Concern over 'the Welsh threat' continued into the 15th century and Chester was seen very much as a border town. There is no record that Henry V's order was ever repealed.

I’ve googled the bow and arrow law and can’t find any historical evidence to support it. Lots of online sites have the law included but without any proof of it's validity.

There’s similar law in Hereford………

Chester
You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

Hereford
You can shoot a Welsh person all day, but only on Sunday, with a Longbow, in the Cathedral Close.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I have been very busy making a Business Plan to present to our local Small Businesses Forum.
The Town Hall sits across the side of a lovely square where can be found all manner of nations and attired foreign folk.
There are regular market days when French, German and other European friends travel to Chester to set up their stalls and sell onions, cakes, onions, sausages, onions, drinks, coffees, pies, onions etc.
My plan is to set up a stall where visitors can hire bows and arrows from about 4.00pm onwards, until 9.00pm in the evening, by which time the Ghost Trails are led by our brave Tourist volunteers to the haunted streets , alleys and houses in the city.
Once the scheme is up and running, future visitors will be able to see far more ghosts as a result of the aiming expertise of the original archers. The fact that the increased number of ghosts will speak with a welsh accent, will be purely coincidental.
I may even demand a percentage from the Ghost Trail organisers, because of the added value that my bows and arrows will bring.
Should there be a decline in the number of Welsh visitors to the city, the scheme can easily be extended to targeting scousers, any time, anywhere, any place. ;-)

Lest there be any furore about the 'scouser' issue, I too am a scouser, twice removed, thrice deported, once flogged. :oops:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Byron

Post by Byron »

A word of warning to those who do not wear suitable clothing if you venture any where near Trawsfynyydd. You will glow in the dark after passing through the area. The words power station, nuclear and Oooohh come to mind.

Also, the sheep in those there parts, do glow in the dark, thanks to the Chernobyl fallout, all those years ago. You have been warned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawsfynydd

http://www.2d53.co.uk/blaenauffestiniog ... ch%201.htm
Diane

Post by Diane »

Dear Mr Byron,

Thank you for your application to be PR guru for this event. I regret to inform you that on this occasion you have not been successful.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Dear Madam Diannitude, I received your letter regarding my unsuccessful application to be Public Retard for the up-coming event, with some dismay.
I can only say that your committee's treatment of reactionist victimist personages is deplorable.
On the night of the Chernobyl fallout over our beloved country, me, my spouselet and our sprogs were camping at Thurstaston, on the Wirral. We were unaware of the poison that the downpour of rain was carrying onto us, our trailer tent, and our soggy bbq.
Years later, my third eye, hooknosed-ear-lobe, green-striped hair, web feet and ingrowing thrunge fristicles, have rendered me inert and oblivious to all but the most searing of disparaging remarks.
However, your recent missive has caused me great distress, for which I am sadly unprepared. (No wet-wipes when you need them!! )
The welsh soil which your motley crew shall tread upon is soil laid down over milleniums of years, but now contaminated by radioactive stuff, what makes the grass icky and sends the sheep crackers.
Despite your rebuff of me request for the post, I shall leave you with sound advice........KEEP OFF THE BLOODY GRASS !!!!
William

Post by William »

What an absolutely baffling idea - a Leonard Cohen walking weekend! Stunningly baffling. What next? A Leonard Cohen circumcision circle? :roll:
damellon

Post by damellon »

William - why don't you join us? It'll be a great stress-buster. Take your pick of any of the following - a wandering, waltzing, wholesome, whiskey drinking, wayward, wanton, wild or wicked Welsh weekend. Go on, let your hair down. :)
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
William

Post by William »

Madam
I would rather stew in a Scottish haggis for four days than spend a weekend wandering the wilderness that is Wales in the company of wanton women who simply want to wiggle their withery bits into the presence of the circumcised one.
Chop it before it gets out of hand, I say.
William

Return to “Other gatherings”