Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
liverpoolken

Re: Leonard Cohen Walking Weekend, or Isn't It A Long Way Down?

Post by liverpoolken »

I notice that Diane is only giving you the Welsh version of Cader Idris.

Don't believe what the Welsh tell you about Cader Idris,all that giant and haunted nonsense, the mountain is actually translated as Arthur's Seat.

The English King Arthur created a kingdom in Wales in the vain hope of civilising the natives.

Of course he failed as has effort by the English since, but we live in hope

However after giving up on trying to get them to give up eating with their fingers and peeing in the sink we did manage to tame them enough to gather taxes from them until Owen Glendower popped his head up and tried to run us English out of Wales. The cheeky sod.

We recently got our own back on the buggers when we gave the idiot son of our present Queen the title of Prince Of Wales. Now they have the most useless man in England as their titular head of state. That'll teach them.

Having walked throughout the area I know both Cader Idris and Snowdon very well and can recommend them wholeheartly.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Diane

I know that there's no word for Liverpool in the Welsh language but may I suggest Liverpool Airport (aka John Lennon Airport) as a possibilty for travellers

It's nearer to Barmouth than Manchester and about the same distance as Birmingham is from Barmouth.

The trains from Liverpool to Barmouth go via Chester and I think Shrewsbury.

Also I think Liverpool airport has more low cost flight options than Birmingham and Manchester.

It certainly is an option to keep in mind.

And it is the European Capital Of Culture you know.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Christine

Post by Christine »

You go to work for a day and look what happens. In the bleak wilderness of Wales, we're now awakening poets, participating in mass masseuse activity, worrying about Paula leaping off a mountain, wretched paperwork, sleeping in Arthur's and not the giant's lap, wafting thru the skies in balloons and (my favorite) having chance encounters with fiery-tongued Harlech devils in the Arousal Cafe. Is it any wonder I want to join this group? And all I wanted was a nice sleep on a gentle hillside, maybe a little dance. How naive of me.

Diane, I've weighed the differences and I'm pretty sure that if I fall over it may be worth it, so Paula may I borrow your blindfolds please? Are they one size fits all? And how many pairs do you have?

Dam, you must start your altitude training immediately. Is there a hill near you? We just need to be fit enough to carry the cocktails and the secret smokes. Tim, will you help us if need be?

Is there a hairdresser in our midst? I'm thinking French braids may work for some of us so when that Welsh wind whips, we'll look chic not disheveled.

Margaret (and hopefully Byron too) - see you at base camp.

I can't wait to meet you all. Thanks so much, Tim & Diane, for putting this together.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Excellent, Shiela. I didn't think Helen would be coming without you.

Hello Ken. I am an English person who invaded Wales (although I have Irish blood in my veins, as I never tire of mentioning). I have found the natives to be very tolerant of me, and indeed a marvellous race of people. Thanks for mentioning Liverpool Airport. I did not know it had more low-cost flight options, and Tim and I did not research that one. Yes, I think wherever you come fom you need to change trains at Shrewsbury.

So, this must mean you are joining us in October, Ken from the European city of culture? I hope you're not going to make Henning sing Dylan tunes around the camp fire, instead of Cohen ones.

Christine! I can't tell you how glad I am that you are coming, and that we will meet you for the first time. You might find a hairdresser in the mist, who knows, but I know you'll look just fine with that genuine windswept look. I am so glad you have recommended some attitude training for everyone.

And Wales is not always bleak!!

'Atmospheric' is what it is.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi,
Besides being a long way down, it's a long way off ,perhaps we'll still be touring!!!
but to help you with numbers please put my name down.
I love Portmeirion and the area around there.
I'll help with the travel details and arrangements from Liverpool nearer the date
All the best
Daveeliver
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Is it near Port Meridion or is Portmeirion something totally different.

I have been meaning to go to see the Port Meridion Village for years and years
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi Paula,
Portmeirion home of 'The Prisoner'

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/

Hope you're well
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Diane

Post by Diane »

Welcome aboard, Dave!

I just checked aa routefinder and it's 41 minutes from Barmouth to Portmeirion. It is a very unusual and interesting place. Looks like a contender for the third day, perhaps.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Diane that would be the total clincher for me I have been meaning to go to the Village for years. Love the Prisoner. Worth the 7 1/2 journey just to see the Village.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Paula, somewhere amongst all of my clutter, is my Badge with the 'Bike and the Number 2.' McGoohan was my hero.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Have you been there Byron - one of my must do before I die things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAxKVIw0T4
Byron

Post by Byron »

Nope. Not been there.
margaret

Post by margaret »

I always thought my husband looked like Patrick McGoohan from The Prisoner :D

Christine, are you really coming all the way from California? Look forward to meeting you.

I will have to get myself into some kind of shape by October :roll:
Diane

Post by Diane »

Paula, I just had a word with Tim, and we reckon that unless anybody who has thus far shown an interest in coming has other ideas as to what they prefer to do, then we'll do Portmeirion on the third day. It'll be a nice contrast to the first two days.

So, does anybody want to vote for something else for day 3? And if so, what?

Does anybody think they will still be capable of standing on day 3?

I never watched The Prisoner. What is that big white ball all about?
margaret wrote:I always thought my husband looked like Patrick McGoohan from The Prisoner :D
I can see the resemblance, Margaret! Byron, you might get mobbed if we go to Portmeirion.

Return to “Other gatherings”