Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
swisschris

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by swisschris »

Very excited about this news!
I discovered Leonard's music one year after his last tour. Until now, I haven't had the opportunity to see him live and this will surely be a once in a lifetime experience as I don't think there will be any other tour after this one.
Let's keep our fingers crossed that he will play in Switzerland (maybe at the Montreux Jazz Festival which will be in July) or if not, that the tour in Europe will be in July/August and not in June (as I won't be able to travel anywhere in June, that month will be charged with exams and loads of work for the UEFA EM..)

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
echoes

Post by echoes »

Ahhh, great news! :D
Time to open a nice bottle of sparkling wine and put some nice CD into the machine!
Are there any rumours or information if Anjani is with him? Would be nice to hear 'Dear Heather' live :roll:
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hello

Great news!!!!!

I'm from Perú - South America. I will do my best to go to see Leonard and share an unforgettable night with other Beautiful Losers.

We all love Leonard Cohen!!! No Doubt!!!

Fernando
astranger

Post by astranger »

Awesome news. Should we expect news of the album when the tour details are announced?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

To my best knowledge the new album will NOT be released before the tour.
r'sgipsywife

Post by r'sgipsywife »

Although I've been a devoted fan of Leonard and his music since I was in my teens, I have never had the good fortune to see him live. Oh Please, let him come to England. Preferably to Oxford, but hey anywhere in the UK would be good.
swisschris

Post by swisschris »

There's an article in French published yesterday in the Canadian newspaper LA PRESSE in Montreal.
Leonard indicates that the tour will start in the East of Canada "very discreet, very nervous" and that he currently sees no end of the new album. That confirms what Jarkko just wrote, there will be NO new album before the tour.

Here's the link:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080 ... 5/CPARTS04

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
remarkblz

Post by remarkblz »

What a great day!
I've been waiting for this for many years...
I first discovered LC in 1969 ,I believe, while growing up in Switzerland. I got hold of a vinyl LP(of course...) that was multi-colored and a collection of American underground music. The first song was 'time has come today' by the chambers brothers, the second song was 'Suzanne'. What an explosive mix(and all the things we did while Cohen was playing... :D ). I followed Cohen closely since then, but he was one of a handfull of artists I admired.
In the last ten years there hasn't been an artist that I admired and loved more. So, while I'm financially strapped right now, there's going to be a way to see him and I can't wait...
We are going to face infinity, whether we like it or not. Why do it when we are weak, broken, at the moment of dying. Why not when we are strong. Why not now? C.Castaneda
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

I hope he goes to Halifax or Montreal.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
catherine

Post by catherine »

oh my love,oh my love, I'll buy tickets and tickets by the million I will buy.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

An upside to everything. Now we have two things to look forward to... Leonard's tour and Leonard's new album. Each separately! Won't venture that a second tour would later be generated; however, if it ever were... [don't even need to finish that sentence].

The other grand thing about this news is that those of us who have already seen Leonard sing and those who haven't will all be able to hear some songs we never thought we would hear sung Live and/or hear them again. Great day!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
linmag

Post by linmag »

Glorious news indeed!

I wonder if the Terracotta Army will be on tour at the same time............
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Thanks for covering that little topic for me, Linmag. I was wondering how to do it :lol: .

Originally, I'd thought something like guessing that you might be curtailing your sightseeing this time around, but I much prefer yours.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
graham t

Post by graham t »

Hello all. This is great news. Managed to see Leonard Cohen live once about 25 or so years ago and it still remains perhaps the best concert i have ever been too. Nudging infront of The Sex pistols in Glasgow 2007 and Dylan/Bowie at the Barrowlands in glasgow in 2004 and 96 respectively.
Hoping the uk is included in the European dates and Scotland in particular
schmedler

Post by schmedler »

ya'll are killing me!!! Leonard is not OLD! 70 is the new 50, haven't ya heard?!!!

Besides the fact...You ought to be more worried about Anjani wearing him out than sitting there strumming his guitar and humming a few tunes for us!! :o)

BTW, i saw B.B. king last year and he is 82 years old! He can still make that Lucille sing...

jeeeeez...ya'll need to have a little more confidence in my man!

laura

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”