Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
John Etherington

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Opendoor,

I can't believe that I'm the record-holder for the most Leonard gigs, even though it would be nice to think that I was. I may be in the higher ratings for the best record of good seats though. I was always a few rows back in the centre, and front row in 1993.

All good things, John E
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

That's really a great news at the very beginning of 2008.

And it's sooo good to already have a ticket for the concert.

Here's the proof:

I bought some more, in case someone would like to join me there...
Anyone interested?

Mirek

PS> Pay special attention to the name of the great concert agency and remember that
it's not good to be too forward (hint, hint...)
Last edited by Mirek on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Caveat emptor! (as Leonard would say).

Cheers, John E
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

That old saying should also be a motto for eBay, don't you think, John?
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Hi John,
I just checked out the thread you mentioned and do remember seeing it last year when it was new. I usually don't bother with posting on any forum/chatrooms unless I really feel an overwhelming need to. I'm usually so busy with the day to day activities of my life to devote more than 15-20 min a day online for personal activities. Today, what with the tour announcement finally coming and the fact that it's Sunday and the only day I have off from work, I decided to indulge a little. Maybe I'll go back to it at a later time and put my input up there but for now I'm focusing on finding out more about the tour.

I see someone already has a ticket and has scanned it for us to see. I have to ask; how did you get them so early and since you obviously have an inside connection do you know if he's coming to Philadelphia and if so on what date(s)??? The sooner I know the date the more likely I'll be able to try to schedule myself off to attend. I also am guessing May 13 @the Met in NYC is going to be either the first show of the tour and/or the gala show given the $750 ticket price? Are all the tickets for that show priced that high or will there be some in a lower price range?? More importantly any idea what the average price range will be for the other shows on the US tour? I would like to see him at the Met, but, if I have to choose between seeing him there once for $750 or being able to see him several time on the tour for the same money, I'll have to go with the "more is better" point of view. However, if I only can see him once on the tour I can't think of a better place than the Met to see him. Of course the ideal thing would be to be able to see him at the Met and also on several other shows of the tour. I also have to buget to take mom along to at least one of the shows to return the favor she did for me back in 93. Thanks for any info you can provide!!
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Paula

Post by Paula »

Bigdee I think Mirek is using poetic licence.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
cortez

Post by cortez »

Posted ticket is fake. Funny but cruel.
Cortez ;-)
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Indeed: funny but cruel...
(spell out the "ekaf" concert agency backwards...)

I hope the tour won't visit Belgium between the 23th of July and the 7th of August, because I happen to have a trip planned to Canada then... (and booked already!)
(although I can still cancel the whole trip and go on a journey through Europe, in the trail of a certain LC...)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

If John is Leonard's most faithful admirer, then I fear I am his most faithless. In spite of the Hydra connection, I have only ever seen Leonard live once, and that was at the Isle of Wight in 1970 ... once every 38 years is a shameful record.

I've puzzled over this lethargy, for I could have seen him at any of the UK concerts John attended, and I have come to the conclusion that it must have been intentional. Leonard's work is so intensely personal that I virtually never play it when there is somebody else in the room, so attending a live performance of such intimate music surrounded by strangers would have felt emotionally claustrophobic.

Any one else felt a similar silly shyness?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Boy do I feel stupid! :oops: I was so focused in on the fact that he's touring I never took the time to really look at the ticket. What a dummy I can be. Well anyway I hope he comes to Philadelphia and if he does I hope he plays at the Tower Theature. It a great 3000 seat old theature just outside Philly that often hosts major concerts. I was last there on Dec 9 2007 for a Neil Young concert. For all you Neil fans the concert that night was filmed by Jonathan Demme (he also filmed Neil in 2005 for the "Heart of Gold" movie and directed many Hollywood blockbusters like "The Silence of the Lambs"). So those of you not fimilar with the Tower will get to see it when Neil's "Chrome Dreams" film comes out. Hopefully a concert film of Cohen's new tour will be made at some point. After seeing "Heart of Gold" and being in the Tower while they were shooting "Chrome Dreams" I sure hope they get someone like Demme to do it. Demme is so good at hiding the cameras that durning the show I forgot it was being filmed. Aside from a few times that they walked by me with the steady cam I never even saw a camera on or around the stage. I've been to other concerts where they had cameras all over the place in plane sight and it really distracted from the show. Hopefully the would use this hidden camera method for any Cohen filming. Anyway I've strayed off topic again so I'll shut up now.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The BEST news to come home to :D !!!

Thanks, Jarkko :D !!

~ Lizzy :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

bigdee wrote:I see someone already has a ticket and has scanned it for us to see. I have to ask; how did you get them so early and since you obviously have an inside connection do you know if he's coming to Philadelphia and if so on what date(s)???
Sorry for the bad joke - bigdee. :oops:
Of course I don't have any real tickets - this is of course a fake one.
As far as I know there are no dates announced yet.
I am waiting for the dates for Europe... hopefully the tour will include Poland.

Mirek
Rob

Post by Rob »

Monday morning, raining, arrive at work, turn on computer, click on the forum. Suddenly there is joy in my heart........... He'll probably come to Wales, so he can see Diane again.

Rob.
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen »

Hey, Mirek, I found a stub from my future last ever concert from the same place you got yours!

"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Teratogen wrote:Hey, Mirek, I found a stub from my future last ever concert from the same place you got yours!
Wow! And the price is not bad... thought it would cost $666 :lol:

Mirek

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”