"Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Leonard Cohen's posthumous album (2019)
holydove

Re: "Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Post by holydove »

Hal E. Lujah wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:25 pm Wish I hadn't posted it.
Why don't you delete it, then? IMO, it's not worthy of the space it's occupying here, & though I can only speak for myself, I would venture to say that most people here are likely to agree. I read a couple of lines, & decided it wasn't worth my time or energy. You can just put a couple of dots in its place, & those dots will be worth more than that write-up...

Every song on this album is awesome, & they just get more beautiful each time I listen to them. So I want to say thank you again, to Adam Cohen & everyone involved in the creation of this gorgeous work of art. It is an incredible treasure which will be loved & cherished forever.
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

holydove

Post by holydove »

Hal E. Lujah wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:05 am...
Now, that's much better, isn't it... :lol:

Very cute, Hal E.Lujah! ... ... ...

Editing: Since nothing was deleted, & your reply didn't make much sense, I assumed it was a joke, & I replied in kind...maybe I was wrong, maybe not....whatever...cheers!
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

Do you think there will be a video for The Hills. Maybe some of the film we saw at the tribute

Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
phillip

Post by phillip »

Thanks For The Dance is Awesome I love it Thankyou Leonard and Thankyou Adam you did your dad proud love it :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

I thought I did delete the entire review, so I am at a loss as how this apparently did not happen. Is it still there? I see three dots. Anyway, I thought people might laugh at the oddity of this half-baked Kugelass. If it's still there, tell me where and I will again delete it; no need to give this review any more publicity.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hal E. Lujah wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 am I thought I did delete the entire review, so I am at a loss as how this apparently did not happen. Is it still there? I see three dots.
When I made my previous post, it was still there, but I see that now it has been deleted. Thank you very much, Hal E. Lujah, it was very considerate of you to follow through on that.
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

TFTD ranks #1 new release in rock on Amazon US
Attachments
Snipaste_2019-12-04_15-46-19.jpg
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
B4real

Post by B4real »

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/le ... 53e74.html
Sydney Morning Herald By Paola Totaro
December 5, 2019 — 4.00pm
Poignantly titled Thanks for the Dance, it was released globally last month although there is one last song which Adam said would emerge only when he was “happier with it”. In the meantime, he urged other artists and “flame carriers” for his father’s work who want to interpret or perform his lyrics to “come to us”.

Cohen said he hoped artists inspired by his father would consider writing music to previously unpublished lyrics or poems in the estate and called on “flame carriers” of creativity to keep his spirit alive.
Previously, this was stated - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 75#p372958
Will there be more albums?

"No, that's all. That's all that's left. There's no more. It's not another death album, when usually someone tries to make a few pennies from the death of a great artist and scrapes up every sketch and b-side or other nonsense to sell to people. Usually there will be more of these after-death albums. This is exactly the opposite, the last one, there will be no more."
Seems no collective releases but individual songs a possibility :)
Maybe the song to which Adam refers could be Captain - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 80#p373264
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

holydove wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:20 am
Hal E. Lujah wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 am I thought I did delete the entire review, so I am at a loss as how this apparently did not happen. Is it still there? I see three dots.
When I made my previous post, it was still there, but I see that now it has been deleted. Thank you very much, Hal E. Lujah, it was very considerate of you to follow through on that.

Well, I still think Leonard would have had a good laugh at the opening lines of that clunker review, that he was just beginning to find his voice. Gotta keep a sense of humor about these things. Didn't he say that at 65 he was still a young kid with a dream? I love the new album, by the way, and listen to it non-stop. You hardly notice how short it is that way. My fave now is the first cut. My least fave is Santiago, which I just feel conflicts with the overall sentiment of the album, seeming to belong to an earlier time, but this is Leonard. I respect that he never let go of either the sky or the ground, so to speak. Adam did a fine job and should be rightfully proud, as did all on this album. The music and background vocals never overpowered Leonard, and it sounds indistinguishable from his former albums. We will never know how he would have arranged them, but my guess is that this is pretty close. Interested to hear everyone's comments and interpretations of the poetry, particularly the goal falls short of the reach, so Leonard.

Hal E.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Interview with Adam Cohen on BBC radio - starts at 1:34:45

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000c ... Vs6Z4kiihY
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Brian M wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:44 am Interview with Adam Cohen on BBC radio - starts at 1:34:45

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000c ... Vs6Z4kiihY
Thanks Brian, such a great interview; so heartfelt, so reaffirming, what Adam has to say about his father. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Roy

Post by Roy »

# 1 in Canada, # 61 in the U.S. on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart!
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Number 1 in Belgium (Flanders)!
It went straight to n°2 last week on its debut, now one place higher, top of the list!

Thanks-for-the-Dance-Charts.JPG
See https://www.ultratop.be/nl/album/608f3/ ... -The-Dance

EDIT: Now I'm sure we've picked the right country and city to host the next Leonard Cohen Event! :-)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
The Brucester

Post by The Brucester »

>>> comments postponed for time being <<< personal reasons
Last edited by The Brucester on Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”