Montreal tribute: media coverage, photos & YouTube links

The Tower of Song Tribute Concert, the MAC Exhibition, Leonard Cohen Murals, Leonard's Grave, City Tour for our Members
gretabertella

Re: Montreal tribute: media coverage, photos & YouTube links

Post by gretabertella »

gretabertella wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 am he added some new lines ("the things I could not be / My heart will be heard")
I think I messed up: that was not a new line, it was probably the old line "My heart will be hers". I think I just missed the final S.
Ooooops. :roll:
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

gretabertella wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:49 am
gretabertella wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:14 am he added some new lines ("the things I could not be / My heart will be heard")
I think I messed up: that was not a new line, it was probably the old line "My heart will be hers". I think I just missed the final S.
Ooooops. :roll:
The subtitle which I believe was embedded by CBC in the video file (mkv) shows "My heart will be heard". However, I reckon you are right about "Hers" since the 'original' lines are "For someone will use/What I couldn't be/My heart will be hers/Impersonally".

Weilin
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
anneporter

Anthem for Cohen

Post by anneporter »

Montreal art supply store DeSerres is sponsoring an art contest in asssociation with MAC/ A Crack in Everything exhibition.
Details in Facebook link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sydminn ... 015193273/
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Many thanks Bernard.
I'm not sure if it's just me (my PC) but I have downloaded it twice and on both I have a short break-up of the video just after Sting starts to sing in Dance Me To The End of Love.
Is it only me / My PC ?? Has anyone else found this :?:
bernardfincher wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am Here is the video of the concert for Leonard's fans around the world: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ju6bs7okjkm5ha7/LC.mkv
London 25/7/1985
London, Royal Albert Hall 30/5/1988 & 10/5/1993 :
Manchester Opera House 20/6/2008 : Vienna Konzerthaus 24/9/2008 :
Cardiff 8/11/2008 : Manchester 30/11/2008 : Berlin 2/7/2009 :
Lille 25/9/2010 : Paris 29/9/2012 : Rome 07/07/2013 :
Bournemouth 26/08/2013
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

Warthog wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 pm Many thanks Bernard.
I'm not sure if it's just me (my PC) but I have downloaded it twice and on both I have a short break-up of the video just after Sting starts to sing in Dance Me To The End of Love.
Is it only me / My PC ?? Has anyone else found this :?:
bernardfincher wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am Here is the video of the concert for Leonard's fans around the world: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ju6bs7okjkm5ha7/LC.mkv
It may happens when your internet access is not stable with particular site, ie Mediafire.

try this online link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5f-1-jLWZc
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Julian Lennon posted more photos from the Tribute concert on his Instagram page. Check it out here:

https://www.instagram.com/julespicturepalace/

Under each image posted tonight, he wrote the same thing. For instance, under the photo of k.d. lang, he wrote:
The One & Only K.D.Lang, performing at the Leonard Cohen Tribute Concert, part of a full feature documentary, slated for release later this year... With images hopefully included in a coffee table book & photography exhibition...
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

‘I was crying all the way through’: Nana Mouskouri visits Leonard Cohen exhibit.

Here is the link to the whole article in The Star
By DAVID FRIENDThe Canadian Press
Wed., April 11, 2018
Singer Nana Mouskouri couldn’t imagine passing up an opportunity to walk amid the memories of her old friend Leonard Cohen.

The Greek performer was visiting Montreal last month to promote her upcoming Canadian tour when she realized it might be her only chance to see an exhibit at the city’s contemporary art museum dedicated to the poet laureate.

“Leonard Cohen: A Crack In Everything,” closes on Thursday before possibly embarking on international tour.

For Mouskouri, seeing and hearing him again was a whirlwind of emotions.

“I was crying all the way through,” the 83-year-old singer said. “My heart was beating fast.”

“There were so many people and that was really encouraging. They needed to go, and me too. I needed to go.”

The exhibit let Mouskouri reconnect with the friendship she held with Cohen for decades. She’d been unable to attend several Montreal tributes that followed his death in November 2016 at age 82.

Mouskouri and Cohen first met in early 1970s when he showed up at one of her Canadian concert dates and invited her over to his house for coffee afterwards, she’s recalled in past interviews.

They reconnected again in 1974 at a Los Angeles industry party and ended up fleeing the event to catch Bob Dylan in concert. All three of them socialized backstage and formed a lasting connection.

Over the years, their friendship never faded, even though their careers rarely crossed paths.

Mouskouri retired for nearly a decade, but when she announced plans to return to the stage in 2014, Cohen was quick to send a note of encouragement:

“Twenty years ago, in this curious world, you raised your voice in song. I heard you then and I hear you now. I am still listening. We all are,” he wrote in part of the letter.

Mouskouri considers those the words of a mentor.

“There is a religious mysticism about him. There are believers in his work and his words... and I feel the same way,” she said.

“I listen to (his) records very often. I try to get even more between the lines to discover more. It’s not easy, but it’s wonderful.”

Mouskouri’s new covers album “Forever Young” puts her respect for Cohen on full display with a version of “Hallelujah,” a song that she recognizes has been adapted countless times by other performers.

But she said it seemed like the most appropriate song to perform in his passing. Its lyrics spoke to her feelings and she didn’t want to “disturb” his more recent work by recording it herself.

Other tracks on her latest album include a cover of “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” originally sung by Bryan Adams, “Love is a Losing Game,” from Amy Winehouse and the titular track, which was first performed by Dylan.

Mouskouri’s Canadian tour will take her through 14 dates across much of the country, starting from Victoria and Richmond, B.C., (May 3 and 4), as well as Calgary (May 5) and Edmonton (May 7). Additional shows are booked for cities that include Winnipeg (May 12), Ottawa and Toronto (May 14 and 16), and dates in Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick later in the month.

What comes after her album remains to be seen.

She said another project isn’t in the works yet, and she doesn’t want to get ahead of herself.

“I’m not in a time that I can decide (what’s next) anymore,” she said. “First let’s do this nicely, I hope, and then we’ll see for the future.”

“The future belongs to young people, anyway.”
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
astranger

Post by astranger »

Would be incredible if this gets a cd or dvd release. Loving the footage available on youtube, deserves an official release!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

astranger wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:09 am Would be incredible if this gets a cd or dvd release. Loving the footage available on youtube, deserves an official release!
I'm also curious on whether this show will be released on CD/DVD?

Audio ripped from copies of the TV broadcast is good but it would be nice to have a proper release without any imperfections.

Is there any official word on this?
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr »

The concert video has been released to the Apple store, but I have not seen any evidence of a physical copy yet.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

JamieKerr wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 am The concert video has been released to the Apple store, but I have not seen any evidence of a physical copy yet.
Haven’t seen it in the Dutch Apple stores yet unfortunately. Do you know if this is the televised version of the concert or the complete recording? I sure wish that the compete version will be released on Dvd or Blu Ray.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr »

HugoD wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:08 am Haven’t seen it in the Dutch Apple stores yet unfortunately. Do you know if this is the televised version of the concert or the complete recording? I sure wish that the compete version will be released on Dvd or Blu Ray.
It's not clear from the trailer in the Apple Music Store. It says the running time is 90 minutes. That tells me it is an edited version of the show.
mutti

Post by mutti »

I saw the concert on CBC television and was also at the concert in person in Montreal. The televised show is awesome but did not have the complete concert. I hope the DVD is of the entire concert as it all was so good.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

K.D. Lang even on the radio and tv was incredible.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Looks like Leonard Cohen: Tower of Song might be coming to a US public TV station near you. There have been three promo youtube videos posted in recent weeks from three different public TV stations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGYtO_NUy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrhC3JODXGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_5FwFLCjE
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “Montreal Memorial Week, November 2017”