"So long Marianne" Video

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Philwilli

"So long Marianne" Video

Post by Philwilli » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm

On my request Tom at Stonewallstudios has made this video of the
song "So long Marianne".I think he has done a great job.

Video has been deleted
Last edited by Philwilli on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
evelyn

So Long Marianne video

Post by evelyn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:45 am

He has done a great job!

And it was so nice to see Hydra again.

evelyn
dick

Post by dick » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:15 am

Second Evelyn's comments on all counts. Very entertaining and I'm ready for another visit.

thanks
Anth

Post by Anth » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am

Ok, I know that I'm a bad guy who's using e-mule and other copyright infringing stuff, but by using it I found something really interesting and maybe someone has any ideas:
I found videos on "The Gypsy Wife" and "Memories". It seems that both of it are comming from the same director, because approach is rather similar and Cohen's appearance looks like he just changed sets of filming. It seems, that something exists on "The Guests" too.

Maybe to most of you it is nothing new, but I checked Jarkko's resource - there is nothing about these videos. Who knows anything?
And why in Files there's no mentioning of video on spoken version of "Democracy"?
Love's the only engine of survival
Leonard Cohen LT
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 am

Anth, these clips are actually cut off from 24 mins conceptual video I Am a Hotel, for which Leonard got award on Montreux Film Festival in early 1980s. The story goes: Leonard lives in hotel (as the title suggest, he is the hotel). Thru 5 songs we follow 5 stories from the hotel rooms. The Guests are the opening song (with guests arriving, while Leonard sits in the lobby), and then there are Memories (about love affair between liftboy and room keeper, in hotel's dancehall while Leonard sings on stage with the band), The Gypsy's Wife (that song depicts bussines meeting in hotel conference room). Then, of course, Chelsea Hotel and Suzanne for the end of the story. Actually, the story of the songs are set to film, and somehow it appears that all of them are intervowen with the hotel as the location.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/hotel.html
The concept of this 24 min video is based on the reminiscenses of a hotel - or some rooms of the hotel. Leonard Cohen plays a (long term) resident of the hotel. Each song is depicted by a little visual story involving some of the guests. There are no words other than those in the songs. "Memories" is set to a dance (like a prom) with Cohen up on stage leading the band. The two dancers that are featured in this vignette are very good (the bellboy and a hotel maid in the film). Choreography by Ann Ditchburn.

Written by Leonard Cohen and Mark Shekter, produced by Allan Nichols for Blue Memorial Video Ltd (the chairman of the company and one of the owners is Cohen). Filmed at the King Edward Hotel, Toronto.

The video won the Golden Rose international television award in Montreux, Switzerland.

Actually, it bothers me from the very beginning of that YouTube site that these songs are cut in pieces and credited as "clips". Leonard's first clip is "Dance Me To The End Of Love" in 1985. This one is conceptual video from 1983 and it should be seen as a whole. It was the early age of video art and clips, most of the videos run for more than 20 minutes, and it is great to see how Leonard took the train and did such great job. Of course, later development showed that they all (from Leonard to Bowie) were wrong and that video clips have become stupid 5 mins long piece of self-promotion. In early 80s they tried to be art.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:22 am

Anth wrote:And why in Files there's no mentioning of video on spoken version of "Democracy"?
It's also cut off from bigger programme >> United States of Poetry. I have soundtrack of that also (you can hear "Democracy" on Master Poems bootleg), bought it in regular shop in Croatia (interesting piece of spoken poetry genre, with Lou Reed and Czeslaw Milosz on it also).

On The Files, it's listed twice:

- under Comprehensive list of short films, Cohen's guest appearances, document footage, and some concert compilations. The link is in *Films and Videos* section, under *Short films, Special appearances, etc.*

- under *Master Poems* section (Poetry on Records): http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/poems.html. Subsection: More Poetry on the Records has "United States of Poetry".

On both places you'll find full description of TV documentary, soundtrack, accompanying book etc.. and link to Leonard's page on programme's official page at http://www.worldofpoetry.org/usop/dream6.htm.
Anth

Post by Anth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:32 am

Tom Sakic wrote:
Anth wrote:And why in Files there's no mentioning of video on spoken version of "Democracy"?
It's also cut off from bigger programme >> United States of Poetry. I have soundtrack of that also (you can hear "Democracy" on Master Poems bootleg), bought it in regular shop in Croatia (interesting piece of spoken poetry genre, with Lou Reed and Czeslaw Milosz on it also).

On The Files, it's listed twice:

- under Comprehensive list of short films, Cohen's guest appearances, document footage, and some concert compilations. The link is in *Films and Videos* section, under *Short films, Special appearances, etc.*

- under *Master Poems* section (Poetry on Records): http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/poems.html. Subsection: More Poetry on the Records has "United States of Poetry".

On both places you'll find full description of TV documentary, soundtrack, accompanying book etc.. and link to Leonard's page on programme's official page at http://www.worldofpoetry.org/usop/dream6.htm.
Tom, thank you! Damn, I need to get that short film...
Leonard Cohen LT
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:33 am

Send me a PM. I have it on very good DVD.
Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:27 pm

I Am a Hotel is a short film that was made for a Canadian TV show. It was filmed at the King Edward hotel in Toronto. One of the characters is played by a former olympic figure skater. It is a freaky little movie. Moses Znaimer used to make a lot of shows like this for CityTv, though I think this was one of the first. The soundtrack was the only thing I really liked about it, but other people feel differently, I guess.
Cohen Kid

Post by Cohen Kid » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Wow, that is such a nice video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and of course I knew the song and love it :wink:

I'm back after not typing a lot recently...
But that's actually funny as I listened SO VERY MUCH cohen songs...
I got a new favourite: Master Song 8)
A sip of wine, a cigarette
And then it's time to go
I tidied up the kitchenette
I tuned the old banjo
-10 new songs, Boogie Street
Anth

Re: "So long Marianne" Video

Post by Anth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Philwilli wrote:On my request Tom at Stonewallstudios has made this video of the
song "So long Marianne".I think he has done a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxyupt__Bk

Was thinking of uploading a Divx version to the ftp site of the video
but as there has been so little interest for it i'll let it be.
By the way, what about THAT one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckG8om1nqVM

I found it amazing - he sings in a high voice (!) and with such enthusiasm that I can even believe that he still someday will go on the road again.
Leonard Cohen LT
Cohen Kid

Post by Cohen Kid » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:28 am

jee... that's a weird one to watch... hehehe...

It's sounding very eh... amateurish... and yet quite nice and interesting...
But I hope this wasn't meant to be? a spontanious thing?? If he was planning to sing that song then he should have practised with the lyric hahah...
Oh, well... nice! I think ... hehe...
A sip of wine, a cigarette
And then it's time to go
I tidied up the kitchenette
I tuned the old banjo
-10 new songs, Boogie Street

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”