Favourite religious images?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
MaraLady

Favourite religious images?

Post by MaraLady »

I'm struck by the sheer number of religious images and scriptural passages as well as the "depth" of how he uses such concepts....I've just started reading The Favourite Game and on the first page he wrote "a scar is what happens when the word is made flesh"....

I thought it would be great to have a discussion regarding religious images/symbols/lines (of any and all religions) that are in his songs/poems....what are your favourites, and what do they mean to you?

Ill start with The Window - "Bless the continuous stutter....of the word being made into flesh".....

I cant get enough of that line! The idea that it is all a long, continuous, unclear, stuttering journey for a human to really embrace "the word" (Jesus for me, but other ideas of joy/peace/serenity for others, and myself, too) and to "live it" and live with God (or peace, or salvation, or whatever you might call it...)
MaraLady

Re: Favourite religious images?

Post by MaraLady »

oh my goodness TOTAL coincidence I JUST posted the above and on the radio Leonard Cohen comes on and sings "I see you turned the water into wine".....

I am not on this forum often (enough), not on this radio station all the time, and this station plays a very wide variety of music...and right after posting that about religious symbols I hear him saying "turn the water into wine".....I "think" this song is called Treaty....

I'm a bit freaked out by this strange coincidence....! :shock:

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”