Name that song...

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
dudders

Name that song...

Post by dudders »

Here's that little test of your knowledge, as promised:

https://soundcloud.com/user-113036694/cohen-teaser-1

NB. This is NOT one of those quizzes that come up on the internet surrounded by adverts, where the object is to get you to buy something and the quiz is actually irrelevant. It's just a bit of fun by a Cohen fan like you, with no adverts and no money involved.

Here are some notes to help you (not that you’ll need any help):

All these clips are played by me on a Godin nylon-string guitar. They may not be exactly as you know them from the original soundtrack, but I try to play as close to that as I can.

There are seven Cohen songs for identification here, plus an extra one at the end from another singer/songwriter of the same era. All songs need to be identified. Send your solution to me via PM on the website or to dudley@the-management.co.uk.

On February 1st I’ll dip at random into the correct answers and someone will get something. It was going to be a bottle of whisky, but apparently such things can’t be posted internationally... Never mind, it’ll still be something worthwhile. I'll then post the solution here.

Three more of these to come this year – at the Spring and Autumn equinoxes and Midsummer’s Day. This first one is probably too easy, so the others are likely to be tougher!
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Name that song...

Post by jarkko »

Dudders, thanks for doing this! The first ones are easy, but it's getting more difficult with the very short clips towards the end…
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
dudders

Post by dudders »

Ah - remember there are seven Cohen clips only - the last of these comprises four individual chords, each strummed just once. Just in case they come across as separate clips! Probably given that one away now...
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I recognize some of them, but not all-so I'm not submitting my answers, but just wanted to mention that this was fun and thank you! Also, excellent guitar playing-you've got some chops!

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
dudders

Post by dudders »

Thank you for your kind words - I do work at it! Go back to it occasionally, though - I think it helps to listen to just one clip and try to hum it on, see where it goes. Hopefully a few words will slip in and then it'll hit you. All the best. Dudley.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”