More about backup singers

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
WomanWept

Re: More about backup singers

Post by WomanWept » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:47 am

All right, so I have an exceedingly obsessive question regarding a certain singer. He (at least, I'm pretty sure it's a he) isn't exactly a backup singer I don't think, but he was one of the backup singers on "In My Secret Life". The part where the background is singing "Hold on my brothers", etc... Does anyone know who the male singer is? I've been looking everywhere, as I'm quite obsessed over this. Any information would greatly help, as I have no idea at the moment. :lol:
stonecupid

Post by stonecupid » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi,
This is Julie here. Just saw Leonard's shows at Coachella and also at the Nokia in LA on Friday the 10th. Great shows, and I took my 16 year old son, who was just a babe when we were on the 1993 tour. He loved it, and it's so great to see Leonard so happy. In answer to the curly blonde on a lot of the youtube videos, the ones from '88 and '93 that seem to be plentiful would be me, and I'm really proud of that work during that cherished time with Leonard. Enjoy the tour, everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqShebAkMQE
"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." L. Cohen http://www.stonecupid.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 am

Hello Julie!

What a pleasure to have you here! I have said it a number of times on this forum and I will now say it again - I miss you and Perla on this tour :cry: . I don't mean to take anything away from Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters, they are excellent, but I miss the chemistry between you and Perla and LC. Every word, every note was so heartfelt and was loaded with so much empathy! The 'Joan of Arc' video is a beautiful example :D . My favorite next to this has to be your mini solo w/LC in 'Take This Waltz'. The line 'my mouth on the dew of your thighs', has to be the most sensual line ever written and as performed by you and LC, just makes my whole being melt.

How wonderful that you were able to see LC's performance at Coachella and Nokia LA with your son! He must be so proud of the work you have done!

Thank you for taking the time to post here. Hope we will hear more from you!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
micropup2008

Post by micropup2008 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am

My sentiments exactly. Loved you and Perla and miss you greatly.
MaryB wrote:Hello Julie!

What a pleasure to have you here! I have said it a number of times on this forum and I will now say it again - I miss you and Perla on this tour :cry: . I don't mean to take anything away from Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters, they are excellent, but I miss the chemistry between you and Perla and LC. Every word, every note was so heartfelt and was loaded with so much empathy! The 'Joan of Arc' video is a beautiful example :D . My favorite next to this has to be your mini solo w/LC in 'Take This Waltz'. The line 'my mouth on the dew of your thighs', has to be the most sensual line ever written and as performed by you and LC, just makes my whole being melt.

How wonderful that you were able to see LC's performance at Coachella and Nokia LA with your son! He must be so proud of the work you have done!

Thank you for taking the time to post here. Hope we will hear more from you!

Warmest regards,
Mary
Ron
Judy

Post by Judy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi Julie,
How great to have the opportunity of saying thank you "in person" (well almost).
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful !!!
Thank you !!!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:42 am

Well, darn it, I missed her... unless she stops back by later. Everything about Julie says "art song" ~ her own facial structure and how she uses it to express the lyrics, her body language, the expression and timbre of her voice... everything... and, then, as you've already noted, Mary, the absolute chemistry between her and Leonard. The amazing thing is that, this many years later, when I saw and met her in New York in 2006, at the Event that year, she still looks the same. She still has the art song personae and she knows how to use it! To see her perform A Singer Must Diewill knock your socks off. Even though it would presumably be a 'man's' song... WoW, does she carry it off!! I don't usually refer to other women as "hot," but Julie is hot!

Ironically, I always hear Leonard's line "I was just getting home late" as "I was just getting laid" ~ it always sounded to me like a line that a man might realistically say to another man, be he an officer or even a judge. But, that's not how the line goes :lol: . With Julie singing it, it made more sense the way it was written ;-) .

Julie... if you should read this... you are AWESOME... and Oh, how I would love to see you perform with Leonard, again! It just seemed to me it could've all been worked out with you, Anjani, Sharon, and Perla. In my dreams, I guess... but what wonderful dreams they are!

What a thrill for you to see Leonard perform with your son. I can't help but wonder how you were singing along to yourself, if only in your head... but I don't know how you could've kept your lips from moving. I may be projecting, but what an emotional time it would seem to be to be in that audience watching it all happen, when in the past you were onstage making it all happen.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lcfan16

Post by lcfan16 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 am

I've been listening to Various Positions and wondering about the backup singer especially on Dance Me...

Jennifer Warnes is credited on the album, but I think Anjani is also mentioned in the credits. Is it definitely Jennifer? It reminds me a lot of Natalie Merchant. It's the song I can't stop listening to at the moment.
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:10 am

Check http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/artists.html
and a more comprehensive list can be found on Tom's LC pages:
http://www.leonardcohencroatia.com/discography.php

About the symbols in the Entwined Hearts logo, have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14226&st=0&sk=t&sd ... 75#p174681

Take care,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:18 am

lcfan16 wrote:I've been listening to Various Positions and wondering about the backup singer especially on Dance Me...

Jennifer Warnes is credited on the album, but I think Anjani is also mentioned in the credits. Is it definitely Jennifer? It reminds me a lot of Natalie Merchant. It's the song I can't stop listening to at the moment.

I've been wondering the same thing lately and I think it's Jennifer Warnes in Dance Me To The End Of Love. I read somewhere that Warnes has been working with Cohen since 1979 and I recognised the voice from The Window, I think it's hers. I'm not sure of course. :neutral:
Also, I think Anjani sang backup only in Hallelujah in Various Positions.

Note that I'm not sure about any of these, so if you find the actual answer anywhere, please let me know.

Stamatina
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:36 am

The whole album is credited as "Vocals by Leonard Cohen and Jennifer Warnes". So it's all Jennifer.
Anjani was among many vocals in Hallelujah chorus, and she didn't even meet LC during the sessions. (They met later, when John Lissauer asked her to join Cohen's touring band after the album's release.)

(The original intertwined hearts logo explained here: viewtopic.php?p=77383#p77383)
lcfan16

Post by lcfan16 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks for clarifying this. I didn't realize the singers listed under "Backup Singers" were only on Hallelujah.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44 am

Also on The Captain, there are some male back ups :) The album itself is an "duet album", according to that main vocals credit.
stonecupid

Post by stonecupid » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 am

from a 1988 concert, taken by Robert Bower
from a 1988 concert, taken by Robert Bower
I haven't visited in awhile, but thank you for the nice comments about my work with Leonard. :o
"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." L. Cohen http://www.stonecupid.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:57 am

Hi Julie,

What a beautiful photo of you and Mr. Cohen! Your look is positively smoldering in it. The depth of feeling and chemistry with LC - this is what I miss!

Warmest regards,
Mary

(P.S. I have seen on another thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16937 that there is the strong likelihood that Perla will attend. Any chance that you might also be there?)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”