The Nature of Love in the Work of Leonard Cohen

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

By Jiří Měsíc

I have posted another study by Jiří Měsíc here: https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/mesic2018.pdf
Below is the abstract. Follow the link to read the whole article.

First published this month (October 2018) in Journal of Popular Romance Studies. Thanks to Jiří for giving permission to post his work.
Abstract: This essay deals with the nature of love in the work of Leonard Cohen and its relation to Kabbalah, Zen Buddhism, Christian mysticism, and the alchemical wedding coniunctio oppositorum. Love is seen as pulsating between agape, the unconditional love of G-d and humanity, and eros, the insatiable desire for bodily pleasures. In both senses, it has certain accompanying attributes, according to the singer, explained by the words “chain,” “bond,” “wound,” and “suffering.” The literary persona of Leonard Cohen is viewed as longing for divine love, exploring prayer, solitude, and carnal love as a means of spiritual nourishment leading to the purification of the soul. Moreover, his work is characterised by a liturgical language, which he uses in order to glorify the most profane features of our human nature and to highlight the potential of the body to serve as an instrument to reach the sacred.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaraLady

Re: The Nature of Love in the Work of Leonard Cohen

Post by MaraLady »

Oh my GOODNESS thank you for this! I have an intense interest in LCs use if religious symbolism and the themes of love, loss, suffering, ecstasy...I'd like to discuss this more....

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”