Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
its4inthemorning

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by its4inthemorning »

Jean, we observe a ritual where, each year at the end of December we watch some of our LC concert DVDs. This is in commemoration of our reintroduction to Leonard, after more than two decades of being MIA, through the serendipitous viewing of "Live in London" on our local PBS station in December 2009. These annual concert nights always run rather late, and around 3:30 am I start checking my watch so that I can announce to Joann at the proper time, "it's four in the morning the end of December." Way back on this thread someone (B4?) speculated that "Famous Blue Raincoat tended to be more popular with men, but it is also Joann's favorite LC song. Talk about a marriage made in heaven!

Anny, if you're still a silent reader here, I hope that means that after wading through the chaff you found a few discussions to be of interest. Antwerp and Ghent were blessed with many LC concerts over the years, I hope you were able to attend your share.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

B4real wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:07 am And today, on the last day possible day I could get it before Christmas you know what I finally have in my hands .... The Flame!
I forgot to say that this day is also coincidentally notable for two other happenings here down-under.
1. It’s the longest day of the year.
2. And most importantly, it was the date of LC’s last concert EVER.

its4inthemorning wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 am Way back on this thread someone (B4?) speculated that "Famous Blue Raincoat tended to be more popular with men, but it is also Joann's favorite LC song.
4, It was me who said this here: https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... at#p366037
I know Alan and I have discussed this song in print and in person before so I’m not surprised that he would suggest it as the next topic because it’s one of his favourites I said then that most men who are LC aficionados seem to have Famous Blue Raincoat as one of their very favourite songs. Of course women love it too but it seems to captivate some other aspect with the male species. I guarantee if you ask a male friend who is into Leonard this song will be among his top ten if not five, for sure!
:)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
its4inthemorning

B4,

As that last concert was in NZ, I assume you were not in attendance. What was your final concert in 2013, and now, five years later, what memories of that night are still vivid?

Since Leonard appeared to be in good health and thoroughly enjoying performing, I felt (perhaps hoped is a better word) that he would take 2014 off and then go on the road once more for an extended final tour, perhaps beginning in 2015 and ending in 2016. I recall doing a little research on the number of concerts he performed since the beginning, and arriving at this startling conclusion: if there were a final 18-month or so tour similar to 2013-2014, when it was over Leonard would have performed more concerts after age 73 than in all the years prior! Alas, it was not to be.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi 4,
I’ve been busy with Christmas things. I hope you had a good one!

About the down-under concerts. I was offered a front row seat for the final concert in Auckland, NZ by a friendly and most thoughtful Canadian but unfortunately I couldn’t take advantage of his kindness!

My memories of the final concert in Australia at Adelaide are still most prominent in my mind and are the same now as then here - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 15#p342103

But read from the start to the finish to get the whole story of that night. Alan has some wonderful videos and photos, one of which I took :)

And yes, that’s an interesting concert number analysis.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hello-
Anny...I feel a bit like you lately--- a silent reader of our thread, or perhaps more specifically, like Rumplestiltskin after not visiting the forum for so long. Sorry for my absence. Most of you know from private messages that Dave and I have had a tough time in the past few weeks. For those who don’t know… we lost one of our pugs (Molly) right before Thanksgiving, and then I lost my dear Sam during Hanukkah, which hit me square in the gut. But wheels turn and life goes on.

Here we are at the end of 2018. I guess I can't expect every year to be as sweet as 2017 (for Pete’s sake... I discovered Leonard that year AND witnessed the happy marriage of our son), but I am ready to bid 2018 goodbye and am standing with open arms to welcome 2019.

I have loved reading about your memories and rituals. I am jealous that you all have such a long history of enjoying Leonard’s music! However, B4, I have to say that this totally shocked me!
B4real wrote: About the down-under concerts. I was offered a front row seat for the final concert in Auckland, NZ by a friendly and most thoughtful Canadian but unfortunately I couldn’t take advantage of his kindness!
WHAT??? I can only begin to imagine what had transpired to keep you from that concert, but the 1895 poem by Mary T. Lathrap (Judge Softly… also known as Walk a Mile in His Moccasins') tells me that you might have some very good reasons for not going.

I have not had a chance to read it yet, but I have also received my bilingual copy of Lorca’s Poet in New York. Here is a picture of the cover and inside pages.
Poet in NY.jpg
As you can see, it is an older copy and the dust cover is a bit tattered, but it is fine readable shape.

I am also attaching another photo. Since the night we lost Sam, our mini donkey, Cha-Cha, was braying night and day. Donkeys are not that common in our area, but somehow we found him a friend. We have named her "Jane".

Jane (458x500).jpg
I am sure you all know why I have chosen the name Jane, especially after all of our discussions of FBR. If there are any Lou Reed fans, you can be assured that Sweet Jane also fits her well. Most importantly, Cha-Cha has stopped crying.

The very best wishes for a Happy New Year to all of you!
Vickie
Attachments
Jane and me.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, I've just sent you an email.

Glad you got your book OK.

Jane looks lovely :D
its4inthemorning

A few nights ago I had occasion to eat dinner at a small neighborhood bar, one of those very plain establishments where the blue-collar crowd would grab a few beers after work. A jukebox was playing, mostly 1980s-1990s rock. Just as we were finishing up, one of my friends said, "isn't that the guy you like?" and I realized that "You Want it Darker" was playing! That bar was the last place I would expect to hear any LC song much less "You Want it Darker."

B4: I looked at the Adelaide concert thread, wish I could have been part of your group. Great pictures by Alan. Which one are you in Alan's group pictures?

Vickie: I see Jane's awake, does she send her regards?

Jean: We are zeroing in on basing our Provence visit in Roussillon. Good choice? Bad choice? Any comments?

Happy New Year everyone!

Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

Good choice!

They have the Colorado there, where children used to turn into American Indians (but times may have changed). William Cody used to be remembered there, too, who toured this part of the world in 1889 (centenary of the Taking of the Bastille). In a weave of truth and legend, his cowboys took part in a cattle-managing contest in the Camargue, and it was the gardians who won (maybe due to the fact that cowboys have other priorities than gardians; and maybe the contest did not actually take place in ordinary reality).

More seriously, Roussillon is pretty much in the centre of the Provence:
http://roussillon-en-provence.fr/english.html

Looking forward to meeting you!

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

4- I see you are onto the source of my inspiration in naming Jane ;-) It was the obvious choice for her (even Alan suggested it). She is a pleasure. The farrier commented that he had never seen such a pretty donkey. And Yes! She sends her regards.

Bev- thank you for the email. I will share your moccasins any time.

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

4, If you can remember when we were playing the P Game my avatar then was a photo of myself forty years earlier. I was pleasantly surprised that some forum members recognised me from it when I met them for the first time on the 2013 tour! I’m with Songs of and Songs from and also between LC mirrored twins and Closing Time – No, No, No ;-) the latter being a group of three and the one I took. :)

Vickie, so nice to know that!
its4inthemorning

Bev: I definitely recall your old avitar, and immediately connected it to your recent picture at the Oz concert. We've all changed over the years, but it's always nice to know we bear some resemblance to our younger days!

Group: Our annual ritual of watching a concert DVD at the end of December was delayed until January 5 this time, so I could not go through my "it's 4 in the morning the end of December" routine. I made a few notes for a "Live in Dublin Redux" post, assuming anyone is interested. I will post this within the next few days.

Miscellany: I inquired on another thread about the availability of a DVD for the Montreal Event concert, it seems strange that this has not been released.

Miscellany: In case some here are not aware of forum member Geoffrey's artistic talents, he has been posting a series of Leonard art renderings in the "writing, music and artwork by forum members" section. Geoffrey has a great artistic talent, so if you haven't looked at his more recent efforts you should. After viewing some of his posts, Geoffrey strikes me as an interesting person who does his own thing with zeal. Would sure like to have a few pints with him.

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Greetings, fellow Cohenites.
I am stirred to mention that on January 26th, it will be the 10th anniversary of Leonard's first local concert since 1985. In celebration we will be holding a gathering at my house to reminisce, eat, drink and especially listen to LC.
There is an audio recording of the actual concert, but the quality is not great, after all it was made 10 years ago and technology has advanced considerably.
I have a copy of the setlist and all the songs are on either Live in London or Songs From the Road.
I plan to play the songs in their order from 10 years ago, editing in some of the local references and editing out any references to London.
Regarding Geoffrey, I have been an admirer of his artistic talents for some time. I have been in touch with him and he has very graciously consented to me displaying some of his work on the above-mentioned occasion.
That reminds me, I must ask Bev if she consents to having some of her work displayed.
I will also display some photos I took on the day and my ticket as well as an original concert poster that I recently found on eBay (sadly unsigned).
There might even be a Forum report at some point in the future (now that reminds me of a great song).

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

4 wrote: Bev: I definitely recall your old avitar, and immediately connected it to your recent picture at the Oz concert. We've all changed over the years, but it's always nice to know we bear some resemblance to our younger days!
Ha 4, your words above have found me thinking of times gone by. That old photo was taken in a pub in England in the 1970’s. I was closer to 30 than 20. This now comes to mind, "....... please find me, I’m almost 30." It’s intriguing how the direction of one’s life can turn on a few words. Ah, hindsight – if we only knew then what we know now....
4 wrote: my "it's 4 in the morning the end of December" routine
“It’s four in the morning the start of Janu’ry” just doesn’t quite sound the same, but I’ve tried to make it so ;-)

My favourite line from the very first time I heard Famous Blue Raincoat was and always has been, “a flake of your life.” But it’s more than hard to choose a favourite visual version of such a signature song, ha! The one on TV ZDF Munich 1979 is hard to go past in all aspects of presentation. Having no available video of the last Australian 2013 Adelaide concert, I’ll also include the Auckland 2013 one because it’s the very last time this song was played in concert and it also shows how it has developed over the years with vocal range change and musical instrumental variations. And speaking of this signature song ;-) in the beginning Leonard signs off with “L. Cohen” and in the end with “A Friend”. From a formally identifiable first closure to a familiar but unidentifiable last one. Food for thought there. Maybe others have similar or different visual choices and reasons for their versions.

Visually comparing the differences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJrSXezI0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPloQknKZE

I look forward to your Live in Dublin Redux post.
Who knows if there will be a DVD for the Montreal Event.
Agreeable kind and generous words about Geoffrey and it’s really great that he shares his artwork with us!
He is for sure a spot of colour on the forum!

Alan, that was good timing! You know I’m sorry I can’t attend but thank you, I’ll be there in graphic form because it’s OK for you to display what you have of my artwork. And again, generous of Geoffrey to do the same :)
its4inthemorning

There are many deep and ponderous questions we all have about Leonard--about his thinking, his life, and his body of work--that cannot now, nor could ever have been, adequately answered. I accept that, but what will always drive me crazy are answers to these two simple queries:

Why did he change the ending of FBR from "Sincerely, L Cohen" to "Sincerely, A Friend"?

and

Why did he change the words of Hallelujah to rhyme with "you" instead of the original "ya"?

Maybe Geoffrey knows.

B4real

Post by B4real »

4, You know I’m not one to over analyse LC’s lyrics but, like you, this particular instance has always given me as I said above “food for thought.” I have a few theories on why he first changed it to “A Friend”. It’s a reasonably safe bet to say the genesis of the song is based on his life at the time. In some people's eyes, “L. Cohen” could be considered as a formal recognition that he did write that letter. Therefore, he could have changed the signature because he thought it could be taken as all he said was true and not the elaboration of a song.

Or, it could be that a lot of it was true and it was too late to put the genie back into the bottle so by signing off anonymously it changed that first perception. From recordings when this song was first sung in public in 1970 and 1972 he signs off with “A Friend” except at Tel Aviv in 1972 when he says "L. Cohen". Read into that what you will! As I've mentioned before, in that same city in 1980 he signs off with his formal Hebrew name, "Eliezer ha-Cohên". But (with the exception of the latter) there’s a hole in that theory because from then he alternated the ending of FBR over the years.

Another thought says that to make the song more mysterious he changed the signature to "A Friend". It’s now connected in a supportive but unidentifiable manner. By not owning up to personally writing this letter does appear to further that purpose.

And just to throw this into the mix, there are times in concert when he just doesn’t give either ending to the song at all, disowning any and all involvement! And now for the KISS principle - it could simply come down to how he felt about the song on the night he sang it! Oh My, I feel like I’ve just gone round in circles and have again confirmed why I don’t do this very often! I knew I should have listened to the blackbird :razz:

And as LC said in early 1972 ending this song, “I’m signing off now, sincerely a friend”.

Btw - did you know that Leonard wrote down the lyrics to Famous Blue Raincoat in a Blue covered notebook ;-)

..... and as I now see I forgot to think about Hallelujah :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”