Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Jean Fournell

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by Jean Fournell »

B4real wrote: I didn’t know I had such influence, ha!
Ha, Bev, the power, or is it: "the beauty of the word"…

Sometimes words can modify the material world. That's the basic assumption of the Sufi dhikr ("mention" of the name of Allah). There was an interesting discussion here, too:
https://leonardcohenforum.com/viewtopic ... 82&t=35402
But such words don't work all by themselves. If "they're dust to you", then they are just words:
I haven't said a word since you been gone
That any liar couldn't say as well

Or, as Edith Piaf has it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qHmTY7Q7YQ):
Je dis des mots
Parce que des mots,
Il y en a tant
Qu'il y en a trop...

(I'm saying words
because of words
there's such a lot
that it's too much…)

Sometimes there is a bit more to words than meets the eye, or the ear.

Many happy returns, Vickie!

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Bev,
I meant to reply first thing this morning, but it seems that Jean has beat me to the punch! I too was going to comment on your post regarding that you didn't realize you had such influence. I was going to say Ha! And then double Ha! Your influence is great, in these realms at least!

I am LOVING LC Under Review and would love to see the next one as well. It is interesting to hear others talk about him.... something I am sorely missing in real life. I will need to look for the CDs.

My heart goes out to you with the heat wave! That is one thing I do not miss about Idaho. I remember one summer there, the high was 116゚F. Yikes! As much as I miss the solitude and our place there, I do not miss the summer heat. I hope you don't see much more of it there in Oz!

THANK YOU everyone for the Happy Birthday wishes! I had to work, but Dave is taking me to the King Tut exhibit at the OMS in Portland tomorrow He knows me better than to suggest we go out to dinner.

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Vickie, for your most thoughtful words 8)
The fires have now burned through an area bigger than Belgium and the Netherlands!

Jean Fournell wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm Ha, Bev, the power, or is it: "the beauty of the word"…

Sometimes words can modify the material world.

Sometimes there is a bit more to words than meets the eye, or the ear.
Jean, your words so aptly reminded me of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYcXTlGLUgE
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Bev
So sorry for the fires. We too have had many more than usual in the West in the past few years. The smoke and lives lost make you feel like it is armageddon.
I loved your link with the blind man and the girl. Jean is right. Words can make all the difference. I am reminded of this whenever I realize how much Leonard's words and the words of everyone here on the forum have changed my life. It is hard to believe that we could just be small pieces of dust in the scope of all time and space, when the words of one man can be so much.
Vickie
Edited... finding the right words ...
anny

Post by anny »

Keep safe Bev !!!
...and happy birthday Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

anny wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:07 am Keep safe Bev !!!
Thank you anny! I'm OK - the fires are north, west and south of me - it's just the heat and smoke here.
As I live on the east coast I can always jump into the sea if they come my way :)
Now there's a cyclone out to sea that may hopefully not cross our coast but bring much needed rain.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
anny

Post by anny »

There is too much rain and wind here right now so I will send it to you to cool off ... enjoy it Bef !!!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thank you anny, sounds good to me :D

EDIT: anny, you are a magician - it's raining and cooler!!
anny

Post by anny »

I'm glad to hear that Bef !!! It's the first time that I could make someone happy by sending rain...enjoy and have a good time !!! ;-)
anny
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

The book "Poeta en Nueva York" by Federico García Lorca has arrived, but it's in Spanish only.

Bookdepository very politely apologised for the "error in the catalogue" and issued a complete refund, telling me to "Please, keep the wrong title".

This is more than decent! A really pleasant surprise!

Now I'll have to see whether I can get along in spite of my poor Spanish, or whether I'd rather get a bilingual edition, too…

... for a while

B4real

Post by B4real »

Jean, That is so good of Bookdepository to do that for you! I'm liking the bilingual one I got locally so it could be a good idea to get it for easier reading and comparison of language :)

....and, ah, btw - I'm still waiting for The Flame to arrive! Today I went physically to the shop to see what has happened and they don't know where it is! I've paid for and had it on order for nearly 5 weeks now. I sincerely hope it arrives before Christmas. Maybe I should have ordered it online from Bookdepository ;-)
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Dear friends on "Along the Way,"

I wish you all the very best at this special time of the year.

Our coming together on this forum has provided me with much enjoyment, I view this as yet another gift bestowed by Leonard.

Looking forward to 2019 and the opportunity to meet some of you in Hydra or Provence.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Well said, Curt :D I totally agree!
its4inthemorning wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:58 pm Dear friends on "Along the Way,"

I wish you all the very best at this special time of the year.

Our coming together on this forum has provided me with much enjoyment, I view this as yet another gift bestowed by Leonard.
And today, on the last day possible day I could get it before Christmas you know what I finally have in my hands .... The Flame!

I like to think it is indeed another timely gift bestowed by Leonard ;-) Yes, it will be a good Christmas all round!
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

That's good news indeed, Bev.
So they were able to read and write, after all…
(A bilingual "Poet in New York" is rapidly climbing upwards on my wishlist.)

Its4inthemorning, I couldn't agree more!
My best wishes for "the end of December", and for January, and for quite a bit longer, too! :D

... for a while

anny

Post by anny »

I'm a silent reader of "along the way..." and wish all of you a joyfull end of the year !!!
LOVE PEACE HAPpYNESS and a good health !!!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”