Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
B4real

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by B4real »

Ah, Vickie, my MS word document programme won't open – nothing I've tried so far will fix it! And with all this toing-and-froing between here and there and acknowledging 4's PM answers to the questions with separate and same clues, I've made a mistake! The Partisan is not one of the answers! If you look at the clues I've given here twice for no 6 you will see I've realised my mistake for 4's clue but didn't correct it for yours!

Here's a few more clues for your remaining unsolved questions:

2. Coincidentally, this song is on the same LC studio album and has the same female jazz-like singer mentioned in the first sentence of no 12 below and it is one of those other five songs.

12. This female jazz-like singer is listed as background vocalist for eight songs on an LC studio album and three of them have been previously mentioned as right answers for other questions. The first line of LC's song is the same as the first line and title of his poem (which you have read in the poetry book you bought about six months ago :) ). The female singer's two word song title comes from that.

22. This poem has a one word title and that one word is the first word in each verse of a ten verse poem.
Technically, that word is a very flexible, manually manipulated and mindless figure.

Hartmut wrote: #24: I think there are (at least) two songs that fit this description. The first one would be a good nickname for an online forum.
;-) What do they say – If you want to hide something, put it in plain sight, ha!

.... and that video made me laugh out loud especially when they mentioned Australia in that context :razz:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Is #12- True Love Leaves No Traces?

Vickie... almost late for work
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Without even checking more info, I was wondering if Be For Real was the answer to #24?

I really should wait until I have more time to check my answers before I keep guessing. I think I have already shared why I am busy, but instead of listing all of my excuses (forgive another Princess Bride clip) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUKO_Y6RqEk , I would just like to ask for a reprieve for a couple days. ;-)

Thank you 4, for not giving away all the answers... and thank you B4 for doing your extra work on giving the needed hints!

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Lots of fun! You are correct with no 24 :D
And correct with LC’s song at no 12 but the name of the two word titled female song is still to be discovered....you will know who she is when you find the answer to no 2 :) but don’t sweat it if you can’t find her song for now ‘cause I’ll give you more clues. No need to hurry with your answers.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

B4-
I was going to take a rest but was invigorated, partly by your last comment about my not finding the 2-word titled female song for #12, which encouraged me to search again. That lead me to the answer for #2 instead of the other way round! Or at least I hope these are the answers?....

#12 (part 2)- The Mist
#2- The Faith (according to research, the melody is based on my original answer to this question!)

I'll have you know that I was forced to delve into my special box of Leonard CDs and books (Dave has dubbed it "The Shrine") that I have already sequestered away for safe keeping for our upcoming move. I thought I was safe to pack it because I have copies of all of the music on my phone and have kept out my current book for now (Parasites of Heaven), but no.... I had to open it up for the quiz! Haha.

The other thing that invigorated me is that Dave received a job offer in Portland, Oregon!! Plus he has another interview on Tuesday for a different job in Oregon as well. This is all part of why I am so busy lately. But the good news is that it looks like we are Oregon bound!

Question #22 is a tough one!!! I want to guess Babylon, but I have yet to purchase The Book of Longing in either book or recorded versions... because I am not there yet in my studies!! LOL... so I have nothing to reference except for online sources. I will keep looking, maybe it is in the recorded Master Poems (which I was saving to listen to in total until after I had finished all of the the poetry books) or maybe I will find it with online research of the Phillip Glass CD.

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, I am smiling at the thought of you delving into your “shrine” and of course you are correct with #12 part 2 and #2 :D It would have been easier if I had mentioned as a clue some of this info below about the latter:

The Lost Canadian (Un Canadien Errant)
Un Canadien Errant is a Canadian folk song written by Antoine Gerin-Lajoie that Leonard sings in French with its original lyrics. A similar melody but with LC’s words is used for The Faith.

The Faith
Words and music by LC and based melodically only on a Québecois folk song of the same name.

Five years ago Hartmut posted this musical journey about these two songs -
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... th#p322417

Yes, #22 is a tough one for you because you haven’t got to study BOL poetry book yet. I should have left it out! I will give you some more clues and if they are no help, let me know and I’ll give you the answer with Leonard reciting it :)

Last clues for #22. It’s not Babylon but you are in close proximity! Philip Glass BOL CD is definitely on the right track but he lists the title as two words - either title will do! Referring to the single word poetry title, you could say that these figures are wood like putty in your hands.

And I hope Oregon treats you well!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

vlcoats wrote: Question #22 is a tough one!!!
As a clue, here's a picture I posted nine (!) years ago in the legendary Picture Game:
Attachments
Riddle_4_25.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hehe, Hartmut!
How quickly time flies - I remember that image well!....and I also remember I couldn't guess it :razz:
Seems like you have to pull a few strings for them to work ;-)
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Puppet Time?? (fingers crossed)
I'm making this guess after reading your hints and searching the tracklist for the Philip Glass CD of Book of Longing! I still don't have the book yet, but I am hoping I am right this time because I don't want to read it until I get to it.
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Absolutely well done, Vickie! You have earned the below accreditation :D

I thought I would design another diploma but couldn’t decide which LC school of learning it should come from so I’ve combined two of them with the addition of the live albums and some early vinyl singles. I’ve dated it ahead of time thinking it would be at least another day before you guessed the last question, but I should have known better :) I hope 4 and Hartmut don’t mind me adding their names to it as they participated in this part of your journey too.

FFCA-&-UHI-diploma-int-to-adv.jpg

And as promised, here is Leonard reciting Puppets but you don't have to watch it now if you want to do that later -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIMnOG6FDls
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:13 am Absolutely well done, Vickie!
Indeed!
B4real wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:13 am You have earned the below accreditation
This is great!
B4real wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:06 am I remember that image well!....
Glad to hear that! - Looking at that photo, I realise I was incredibly good at image manipulation even then ...
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

B4-

Yay! This has just crowned my Mother's Day! Not sure when Mother's Day is in other parts of the world, but it is today here in the US (and in Canada also I think).

I love the diploma! My favorite part is the quote from The Stranger Song. I love that line so much, because it tells me that even in his most early years, when most of us are filled with false bravado and the illusion of immortality, he admitted the truth.. even before he really found it out. I love it!

Hartmut... that image was really something! I have no idea how you did the flames. It took me a bit to realize the "Barbie", "Ken", etc in the ashes. Since I haven't read the poem yet, I am not sure the reason for 'Dresden" and "Pussycat". Or why the puppets are man and wife. Or even if your picture clue was originally about "The Puppet".

One thing good about our 8 hour drive to Oregon tomorrow and then back again the very next day is that when it is Dave's turn to drive, I will have the kind of time needed to read more of "Parasites of Heaven". It will be that and the music from Alan that will keep me company!

Vickie (temporarily sitting on my 'laurel's... he has shaken from his head)
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

vlcoats wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am Hartmut... that image was really something!
Thank you. :-)
vlcoats wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:37 am It took me a bit to realize the "Barbie", "Ken", etc in the ashes. Since I haven't read the poem yet, I am not sure the reason for 'Dresden" and "Pussycat". Or why the puppets are man and wife. Or even if your picture clue was originally about "The Puppet".
All will be revealed when you read it, I guess. Or, even better, listen to it.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

I am surprised you added my name to the advanced diploma. After my failing performance on the test, I feared my teaching credentials and tenure would be revoked. After a very long hiatus, I studied a good part of Jean's FBR/Love Calls You/Sing Another Song/Joan of Arc missive last night. I am still collecting my thoughts on it, but must say that Jean should be teaching a course in Extremely Advanced Cohen Studies.

We are up to our ears in baby geese, and they're growing fast. Anyone have any good roast goose recipes? Just kidding. Not to be outdone by the geese, we also have a duck sitting on 10 eggs about 50 feet from our house. Maybe Paul Erlich should have devoted his book to water fowl.

Wish we would hear some news about music releases. Adam, please don't be the perfectionist your father was and let us hear at least some of the old archives.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Friends....

I am writing a quick message because I know I won't have time to post for a little while. Dave accepted the job offer in Portland, and he is starting June 11th which is 24 days from now. (Yikes!) Within that time, we need to pack and move all of our stuff and find a place to live in an area that has just been listed as one of the 10 most competitive housing markets in the United States. :shock: We are frantically searching all websites for a rental property to get settled into temporarily. Thankfully I have found a place to board our donkeys for now....as long as I can persuade Sam to load into the trailer. Thanks to Jean, I have a plan for that. (sometimes, all you need is a plan) I am telling you all of this (and hoping Jarkko will allow such an off-topic post) so you will know why you haven't heard from me if I can't post for a couple weeks.

Meanwhile, back on topic, I am listening to the live music from Alan, and I have a comment about one of the songs that is bugging me..... I do not like any of the live versions of Diamonds in the Mine at all! They are missing the honest pain and venom-spewing, self-righteous "screw you!" of the original version that I loved so much. I like to play the original version and sing along at top volume on my way home from work when I need to offload some frustration. But the live versions? Um... not so much. However, on the other end of the spectrum... there are SO many live songs that are growing on me more and more as I listen to them. I don't have time to go into all of the reasons why, but for now I will just say that I will never get tired of ANY version of FBR, Who By Fire, I'm Your Man, Chelsea Hotel, Lover Lover Lover, The Partisan, and more (no time to go into all my favorites).

I have been finding time to read Parasites of Heaven and will be posting about that on the other “Along The Way” when I have a chance too.

I am not a person who prays in a conventional sense or asks for prayers, but I am not beneath welcoming good thoughts.

PS to 4---- You are the one who welcomed me here, so if not for you, I would not be here learning so much. You definitely need to be acknowledged on every step of my journey!

Vickie

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”