Democracy: Extra Verses

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
pamhule

Democracy: Extra Verses

Post by pamhule »

Dear all,

Like many other here, I have been revisiting Leonard's work over the last several weeks. I have been particularly struck by how prophetic some of the songs have been in terms of the current state of world (and US) affairs. Democracy touches on many very timely currents and I would be curious to learn more about Leonard's work on the song.

I came across a 1993 MTV interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgTV0mEoiWU), where Leonard mentions that there were many additional verses to the song and he goes on to recite one. A few more verses are included here: http://www.leonardcohen-prologues.com/democracy.htm.

I would be curious if any of you know of any additional verses to this masterpiece?

Jens
Lennon Stravato

Re: Democracy: Extra Verses

Post by Lennon Stravato »

“Who really gets to laugh
Behind the black mans back
When he makes his little crack about the jews
Who really gets to profit
Who really gets to pay
Who really rides the slavery ship
Right into Charleston Bay
Democracy is coming to the USA”
B4real

Re: Democracy: Extra Verses

Post by B4real »

Hi Lennon, Welcome to the forum!
and pamhule, if you are still around :)
Besides all those extra verses quoted in LC Prologues including the one above, there is an unused line Leonard wrote for Democracy but I can't remember where or when it's from. He said that it referred specifically to Dylan’s song "Everything Is Broken" - "The singer says it’s broken and the painter says it’s gray."
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”