L.C. Song Hunt

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
holydove

Re: L.C. Song Hunt

Post by holydove »

B4real wrote: Give me the name of a sanguine song and two separate lines about reflection ;-) within that song.
Tonight Will Be Fine

"Sometimes I find I get to thinking of the past"

"Oh sometimes I see her undressing for me"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Well done Rachel, that’s the song!

The first line of the first verse “Sometimes I get to thinking of the past” is correct but for the other one I was thinking of the last line of the last verse “If I've got to remember that's a fine memory”.

Your turn now!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi Bev,
B4real wrote:
but for the other one I was thinking of the last line of the last verse “If I've got to remember that's a fine memory”.

Your turn now!
That line occurred to me as a possibility, also, but for some reason I opted for the other one. . .

Here's my next one: There are 2 songs which contains lyrics that allude to a rift, or disharmony, between generations.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Is one of the songs "Closing Time"?

(and I lift my glass to the awful truth
which you can't reveal to the ears of youth)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,

And, to add to Hartmut's answer, is the other song "Night Comes On" with these lines?:

I'd like to pretend that my father was wrong
But you don't want to lie, not to the young
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi Steven & Hartmut,

Those are really good guesses - thank you, but sorry, they are not the songs I have in mind. The conflict, IMHO, is more overt in the lyrics I'm thinking of. I think I'll hold off on any more clues at this point, but please keep trying. . .
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi holydove,

Alright, these two songs might fit the bill: "Story of Isaac" and "Lover Lover Lover."

"Story of Isaac" includes:
You who build these altars now
to sacrifice these children,
you must not do it anymore.

"Lover Lover Lover" includes:
I asked my father,
I said, "Father, change my name."
The one I'm using now, it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Steven wrote:Hi holydove,

Alright, these two songs might fit the bill: "Story of Isaac" and "Lover Lover Lover."

"Story of Isaac" includes:
You who build these altars now
to sacrifice these children,
you must not do it anymore.
Steven, you got it right with that verse from Story of Isaac - bravo!

The other song I'm thinking of contains 2 lines that indicate a conflict, between 2 generations of a family, & the conflict revolves around a musical issue.
holydove

Post by holydove »

I guess it's time for another clue. This other song has, itself, generated conflicting (i.e. love/hate) feelings in Cohen-land. The 2 members of the family to which the lyrics allude, have the same last name, & that name is actually stated in these 2 lines of lyrics. The last word of the second line can be mistaken for a different word, & one might have to see the lyrics in print in order to understand the generational conflict to which the lyrics refer.

Editing: Actually, the 2 members of the family have the same first, middle & last name. It's only that last word of the second line which lets one know that the lyrics are referring to 2 different people.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Okay, it was rather obvious that's Jazz Police, so - as noone wants to answer for some reason - I will.

I can never understand this conflict around/about the song, I like it very much. Especially, live 1988 renditions, e.g. in Austin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmaMYMWg6rE

LOL, comments to this video: "Every time I listen to this song, it gets worse" & "This is so bad it's funny!"
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you, Roman - very kind of you!! Jazz Police it is. I guess it is now also obvious which 2 lines I was referring to, but for the record, I'll state them here anyway:

"Jazz police are paid by J. Paul Getty
Jazzers paid by J. Paul Getty II"

And I agree about the Austin rendition - I think it's hilarious! I must admit, though, it's the only LC studio recording that I never really loved, in terms of the musical style, but when I saw the Austin rendition, that shed a whole new light on the song, as well as its musical arrangement, & it changed my feeling about it. And I think the lyrics are pretty amazing.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Positive change in a person can be unwelcome. An L.C. song exemplifies this by including a negative
reaction to someone having the possibility of positive change. Can you name the song and identify the
lyric line?
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

You want to change the way I make love
I want to leave it alone
Different Sides
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Maj »

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win.

First We Take Manhattan
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Thank you mnkyface and Maj. The answer provided by Maj is the one I had in mind.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”