No
No votes
Don't Care
12%

Total votes: 33
MRowe

SACDs of Cohen Discs?

Post by MRowe »

We must start a campaign to get Columbia to release ALL of Cohen's material in SACD format. I'm not concerned with the Multi Channel effect but absolutely the DSD/SACD Stereo for Cohen. Whattaya think, folks?

Matt Rowe
MusicTAP
http://www.musictap.net
mattrowe@musictap.net
mattrowe@thedigitalbits.com
Last edited by MRowe on Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoot

Post by scoot »

i can't vote. I've no idea what it is you're talking about.
MRowe

SACD Explanation

Post by MRowe »

SACD or Super Audio Compact Disc is a new (last few years actually) and upcoming high resolution format that brings back the analog fullness of recordings giving them a fuller, richer resonance than regular digital discs provide. I'm aware of the fact that many people are not aware of this format but I can tell you, once you've heard it, you'll find it difficult to go back. As the format edges closer to the mainstream, more will come out about it. As it stands right now, it is a peripheral format but is accessible to everyone. Pioneered by Sony and challenged by competing hi-res format, DVD-Audio, SACD is a beautiful thing to hear. I urge many of you to explore this format as best you can. Do an engine search on SACD. Here's a link to start you out.

http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/

Matt Rowe
MusicTAP
http://www.musicTAP.net
mattrowe@musictap.net
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I had no idea what it is either, Matt. Are you planning to send the results of this poll to Columbia for formatting his older material in this fashion? I haven't even gotten his Essential cd set yet. This seems an ambitious endeavour at this point, but hey, I'll vote.
MRowe

Post by MRowe »

I intend to push this through to Columbia/Sony. Hopefully, they'll respond positively. After all, his last effort sold over a million units.
constantsorrow

Post by constantsorrow »

Hi Matt,

I've voted positively to your poll beacause I think it's the only answer to give! :wink:

As I already said, all albums of Leonard Cohen should be digitally remastered into SACD or DVDaudio.

Please keep us informed about your campaign to Sony/Columbia!

all the best,
jean-françois
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Here is my vote!
George.Wright

Vote

Post by George.Wright »

Time this Board had a vote.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Georgie-Porgie-Pudding-and Pie, i could have sworn that you actually objected to the last poll. Please do try to show a little consistency.

Matt, this is a topic that has come up before, not least from me. 'Essential' was a pefect opportunity for this. Sadly Scoots comments are indicative of people here. They care little about the music, more the words. The fawning praise of the musical detritus on Ten New Songs is a case in point. There just don't seem to be enough Cohen fans out there who would actually buy it. I wish you well however, miracles can happen. Or as a wise man once put it, 'million to one chances tend to turn up nine times out of ten'.

p.

p.s. not sure if a poll is quite the right format. Why would anyone vote 'no' ?
p.p.s. is SoCal a dietry supplement/slimming aid?
jurica

Post by jurica »

OK,

I've voted yes (why not, it's not hard), and I'd realy like it that you can enjoy Leonard in better sound, but I'm not going to purchase it. Sorry. As partisan put it: I'm a lyrics kind of guy. Besides, I don't have good enough HI-FI for it to matter. Then again, buying everything new... That's hardly possible for a poor student such as me...

Sorry for not being more supporting,
JURICA

p.s.
perhaps poll should've had an I-don't-care answer?
Linda

Post by Linda »

A word person here also, but better sound why not.
Linda
linmag

Post by linmag »

Music comes second for me too, but it's a close second and I'm all in favour of improving the reproduction of the original. I'm just not sure how much would be gained by reformatting the early recordings.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
MRowe

In answer to....

Post by MRowe »

I've read your posts. First, I'm pleased to see so many intelligent and thoughtful individuals sharing their collective interpretations, conceptualizations, opinions, and love on such a magnificent forum for the world's great master of life, Leonard Cohen.

Secondly, I've instituted a "I Don't Care" button for those so that I can get a true feeling of the respondents. I hope no one uses it.

Thirdly, Cohen words indeed stand alone. But the heightened sense of it comes from his sparing use of music. It adds another element to the meaning. Like a suspense movie and it's accompanying soundtrack, the music elicits an atmosphere, accenting the entire experience. That's not to say that Cohen's material is suspenseful but it does draw on atmosphere. His use of music highlights that. It's why he has chosen it as the primary vehicle to drive his lyrics.

Finally, I can only tell you. SACD is absolutely incredible. It presents a whole new experience that is unmatched. You would agree with me once you have heard it. I realize that earlier recordings exist, "why do we need another" BUT once you have heard it, you would settle for nothing else. I grant you that SACD is still in the high end but prices are coming done and acceptance is picking up. Please trust me on this. Cohen's incredible collection would shine like a sun on this format.

If you have any questions concerning SACD, don't hesitate to email me personally.

You're all great!!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Matt,
Well, you certainly make it sound delicious ~ even though I am primarily drawn to the words, yet the "sparing use of music" is how I've always experienced his work, as well. Accenting just enough to convey and carry along the meaning. I hope to be able to experience what you've described at some point not TOO far off in the future.
~Lizzytysh
constantsorrow

Post by constantsorrow »

I've heard a remasterisation of "Tonight Will Be Fine" from Live Songs and the sound is so great that I could swear it is not the same song!

Better sound makes better music makes better song.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”