I've Got a Little Secret & The Felicity Buirski Connection

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
John Etherington

Re: I've Got a Little Secret & The Felicity Buirski Connecti

Postby John Etherington » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 am

Jarkko - What a wonderful outcome to this thread! When I pointed out the similarities between Leonard's song and Felicity Buirski's poem, on the Forum, I had no idea that this would come to Leonard's personal attention. I feel honoured to have played a mercurial role in this process. All good things, John E
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue May 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Found this old thread because today I bought Can't Forget live album and Felicity Buirski is co-credited for lyrics of Got a Little Secret (and I never heard of her before), so I started to google her.

Apparently Leonard's version of the song is connected (it seems to me by comparison) to Buirski's song A Secret (lyrics at http://www.felicitybuirski.com/secret.html) - I'd say it stuck in his mind. Now I see the explanation from the man himself.

By googling I see they knew each other very well in 1987 or so (even had radio interview together), and Leonard is often quoted as her mentor and main influence, at least in all the press cuts on her website at http://www.felicitybuirski.com/What%20t ... 20say.html Also, there's info that Jennifer Warnes planned to record cover album of her songs.
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Thu May 14, 2015 1:04 am

Hi Tom,

It's so good to see that Felicity is credited on "I've Got a Little Secret"! I first saw her play live in London in the late 80s, and we met after the gig and discussed our deep appreciation of Leonard's work. Since then, we've kept in touch throughout the years and I consider her to be one of my dearest friends. I believe that Felicity first met Leonard in the early Seventies.There are currently a few of her songs on youtube and they are well-worth listening to. I would particularly recommend that you check-out "Come To Me Darling" (listed as "The Lover of My Life") and "More Than a Lover". Felicity has only had two albums released to date and the first of these "Repairs and Alterations" is still available on Amazon.

All good things, John E
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu May 14, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Postby Judy » Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 am

Thank you John, for all this information. Those songs are quite definitely worth listening to. I found a copy of her cd Interior Design for sale on Ebay! Do you know if she is still singing? Any concerts?
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Thu May 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Judy,

Felicity hasn't done any gigs for the last few years, but she has a wonderful album that is still unreleased called "Committed to the Fire". It includes two tracks, that I think Cohenites will particularly like, one called "Who Will Guard the Dog" and the other, "The Vampire Waltz". She is still writing songs, and I certainly hope that she will be playing more concerts when the time is right. Hopefully that will be sooner, than later.

All good wishes, John E
Judy

Postby Judy » Thu May 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi John,
Thank you .. in the meantime I had a look at Felicity's website and after requesting information received answers to all my questions including how to buy her CDs directly. So now looking forward to listening to Repairs and Alterations in full as well as Interior Design. If ever she takes to the stage again, in either Paris or London, I certainly hope to be there .... and maybe see you again there too :D

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”