Dissertation

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
teresaq

Dissertation

Post by teresaq »

I've just got approval to analyse the words of LC's songs for my English Language MA dissertation. This is so exciting!! And we have tickets for the Manchester concert! http://studentat60.blogspot.co.uk/ :D
Steven

Re: Dissertation

Post by Steven »

Hi teresaq,

Welcome to the forum and best wishes to you on your dissertation. Perhaps you'll post a link to the dissertation
after it is completed. Enjoy the concert. :)
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

26,038 words. That's how long the combined lyrics of the studio albums are. I had to edit the lyrics to include all the repeated sections, as mostly they were shown as '...' but now I have a version with them there, in full, for analysis. The interesting analysis start here.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Daunting task. Hope we will get a chance to see the end result here. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Take very very great care. You are stepping into a minefield (or perhaps an avalanche?)

I reckon you are going to have to read this entire forum. For example, do you know where Boogie Street is, and what went on there after dark?

Also, many of the allusion are Jewish (e.g. Who By Fire). If you are of that faith, you will be at a major advantage!
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Thanks for the warning. I know that for a lot of people these songs are very personal and have special meaning. The aspect I will be looking at is the portrayal of the first person narrator. When he says 'I' or 'We', who is he describing? These are mini works of fiction and the 'speaker' is not L. Cohen. For example, sometimes its a lover, sometimes it's a leader and sometimes it's a victim, being moved down the track. How many of these narrators are there? That's the kind of thing I will be looking at. It will be a bit scientific - I will be counting words and working out percentages (with the help of software). So only the final interpretation will be mine. A lot of it will be presentation of measured linguistic features.

I don't know if this approach will give you more or less concern.

Just now, I'm getting hyped up for the concert tonight.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

You are of course absolutely right that the narrator is a character and not necessarily the author's voice, something most commercial writers seem to have forgotten these days. For example, 'the lying narrator' is a fascinating subject all on its own. But that is more in the realm of Literary Criticism than Linguistics of course.

Perhaps the most confusing narration is in Famous Blue Raincoat. The consensus seems to be that the narrator of one age is talking to himself at another age.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

I haven't posted for a while because I have been working really hard at analysing the lyrics. I keep looking for patterns - in his use of nouns, verbs and words like 'and' and 'the. He uses those two words far more than do other popular songs I have compared him with, so they are significant. For weeks, I have not found patterns and have been tearing my hair out. At last, I am beginning to get it. There is more than one pattern, and they are all interleaved. He is like conversation and writing and poetry and complex literature. All at once. So he is intimate and organised and confusing and challenging. And I have evidence.

http://studentat60.blogspot.co.uk/
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

The other pattern, which has been staring me in the face for ages is that its not what he says, its the way that he says it. There is no significant difference in the content words he uses (like 'pillow' or 'violin'). The difference between him and other popular songs is in the way the language is structured. He uses 'the' a lot, which is typical of formal prose. But then he uses 'and' a lot, like conversation, to string a lot of things together.

http://studentat60.blogspot.co.uk/
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Well, I got the MA - a Merit. But I have not stopped analysing the lyrics. Fascinating, and not always what you think.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Congratulations Teresa :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

I am still working on the lyrics and I'm maybe a third of the way to a book. There isn't really anything else out there that covers his lyrics so I hope I can find a publisher.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Congratulations for your MA.

For the book, keep going!!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

Book now finished. Are there any publishers out there?
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Congrats, Teresa!

Did you think about self-publishing services (such as http://www.blurb.com/ & https://www.lulu.com/ & others)?

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”