Chemotherapy and Mr Cohen.

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Didee

Chemotherapy and Mr Cohen.

Post by Didee »

Late 2009 I was diagnosed with a particularly rare and aggressive blood cancer.
During my chemo on the bad days I used his DVD (live in London) and his songs to take me away from myself, regroup then come back somewhat refreshed.

My present to myself for attaining remission was tickets for my sister and I to the Sydney concert 9th Nov.

I was reading old threads on the 2010 tour, particularly Brisbane.
In that thread someone mentioned 2 empty seats were vacant near the front and wondered what on earth could make someone not attend a concert of a lifetime.

There were two empty seats in the 4th row of the Sydney concert on the ninth too.
The day my sister and I were due to fly to Sydney she rang me, said Dad was dying.
I flew to him instead of the concert.
We blew airfares, the tickets etc but we knew that if we went to the concert and Dad died we would never forgive ourselves.

The night of the concert we were at my sister's place, watching the DVD and holding the tickets in our hands.
Dad rallied and didn't pass away till 6 months later.
I am a very easy going person but one thing I just can not do is take away the resentment that I missed the concert. I thought my cancer would probably return (as this one usually does) or Mr Cohen would not tour here again.

July 27th..HE WILL BE COMING TO AUSTRALIA at the end of the year. I am still in remission!
I burst into tears, practically incoherent, lol;

I did a lot of googling, joined the frontier site so to be able to get pre sales then tonight I join here, to find that you also have pre sales and they are already done :lol:

My sister and I will be buying tickets for the best possible seats for the Brisbane show in November.
The best news may be though that my resentment has now GONE.

I can't wait. I am so excited....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I will see him live. :-D

One exceedingly happy camper here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Didee

Re: Chemotherapy and Mr Cohen.

Post by Didee »

I just wish he would perform the Gypsie wife that night but looking at the song sets I don't think my luck will stretch quite that far. :neutral: Doesn't really matter as I get to see him!!!!!!

I guess you can tell I am excited, eh? :lol:
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

And hurrah for overcoming both the cancer and the resentment!
Didee

Post by Didee »

Thank you. I am rather pleased about those two outcomes as well ;-) :D
MarthaG

Post by MarthaG »

Your story is very touching, I wish you an unforgettable concert night- which it surely will be.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Didee, Welcome to the forum :D

I was sitting two seats from those empty seats as well. They were in the front row and to my left. I also wondered what could have possibly happened for someone so keen to see Leonard and they never turned up!

I’ve also sent you a PM (personal message), when you log in, just click on (1 new message) at the top of this page.

Let's hope life is good for you now. It seems I could run into you at the Brisbane concert!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Didee

Post by Didee »

Thank you both. I intend to enjoy every second!
My sis lives in Queensland so the venue is good for us.

B4real..would love to meet up with you. I have answered your Pm. As I am an old fart may I call you kiddo? :D

I just can't quite believe I have another chance at this.

I got so into the music that my farmer husband could come home for morning tea, afternoon tea or lunch (the front door was just behind my rocker) and I didn't know.

I was so far away inside that the real world did not register at times.
He tells me I was always softly smiling with the headphones on, up as loud as possible.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Didee wrote:B4real..would love to meet up with you. I have answered your Pm. As I am an old fart may I call you kiddo?
Yes, as the concert gets closer we'll sort something out or someone who lives in Brisbane may organise a general meet-up for everyone.
And I've answered your PM too.
As for your last question, there are quite a few of those around here! And I don't mind if you call me kiddo, but I'm nearly 10 years older than you :razz:
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Didee

Post by Didee »

Well, in that case you call ME kiddo :lol:

I thought the Avatar pic was you, lol.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Didee wrote:I thought the Avatar pic was you, lol.
It is me, photographically untouched as it was taken some years ago :)
Didee

Post by Didee »

hahahaha, my son who is visiting said you were hot!!!!! We thought it might be your daughter and he asked could she come too to the concert so he won't be the youngest there sitting with two old farts. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, you look great and I look so much better with hair again. ;-)

S'pose I should put my usual avatar here.
B4real

Post by B4real »

:oops: :)
Didee

Post by Didee »

Fifth row, woohoo.
Nithya

Post by Nithya »

Didee wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:21 pm Late 2009 I was diagnosed with a particularly rare and aggressive blood cancer.
During my chemo on the bad days I used his DVD (live in London) and his songs to take me away from myself, regroup then come back somewhat refreshed.

My present to myself for attaining remission was tickets for my sister and I to the Sydney concert 9th Nov.

I was reading old threads on the 2010 tour, particularly Brisbane.
In that thread someone mentioned 2 empty seats were vacant near the front and wondered what on earth could make someone not attend a concert of a lifetime.

There were two empty seats in the 4th row of the Sydney concert on the ninth too.
The day my sister and I were due to fly to Sydney she rang me, said Dad was dying.
I flew to him instead of the concert.
We blew airfares, the tickets etc but we knew that if we went to the concert and Dad died we would never forgive ourselves.

The night of the concert we were at my sister's place, watching the DVD and holding the tickets in our hands.
Dad rallied and didn't pass away till 6 months later.
I am a very easy going person but one thing I just can not do is take away the resentment that I missed the concert. I thought my cancer would probably return (as this one usually does) or Mr Cohen would not tour here again.

July 27th..HE WILL BE COMING TO AUSTRALIA at the end of the year. I am still in remission!
I burst into tears, practically incoherent, lol;

I did a lot of googling, joined the frontier site so to be able to get pre sales then tonight I join here, to find that you also have pre sales and they are already done :lol:

My sister and I will be buying tickets for the best possible seats for the Brisbane show in November.
The best news may be though that my resentment has now GONE.

I can't wait. I am so excited....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I will see him live. :-D

One exceedingly happy camper here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happy, that you overcome cancer

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”