Lady Midnight - meaning?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
zaidagal

Lady Midnight - meaning?

Post by zaidagal »

Just looking for some thoughts on the song Lady Midnight - my rediscovered Cohen song, and todays favourite...(I seem to change favourite Cohen songs on a daily basis!)

Anyway, it strikes me, if it is indeed a real woman he is talking about -that he wins her only as he is walking away - the old "I dont want you any more - aha! now you want me" thing going on....

But, ofcourse, there may be layers of meaning....someone on youtube thinks its about depression....someone else mentioned the spiritual undertones....
B4real

Re: Lady Midnight - meaning?

Post by B4real »

Hi zaidagal,
welcome to the forum!

You might find this interesting and helpful - just click on the link below.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=260&hilit=lady+midnight
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mara43

Post by mara43 »

Hello b4real! Thanks for your response. The links you sent are very helpful. I especially liked one interpretation - that the song is about his struggles with artistry and creativity. Trying to get it back. She is saying "you are done" - but in the end, when he "lets go" he gets it back.

Anyway! My user name is now mara43 (I was zaidagal) - long story having to do with needing to re register.

And thanks for the welcome!
mara43

Post by mara43 »

hello b4real! Thanks for the welcome to the forum. You will see my user name has changed - having to do with problems re registering - so zaidagal is now mara43!

I really enjoyed the links you sent. I especially liked the interpretation that had to do with creativity - that lady midnight is about someone who has lost his creativity, is trying and begging, and doing whatever he can to get it back - but when he "lets go" - thats when he gets it back. Interesting.

Looking forward to chatting more with folks!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”