Leonard Cohen Holiday Album?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Lilifyre

Re: Leonard Cohen Holiday Album?

Post by Lilifyre » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 am

Ok, let's put it this way. How would many Christians feel about some Christian musician doing an album of Pagan chants to the Goddess? This Jew finds a Leonard Cohen Xmas album that distasteful.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
allangee

Post by allangee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:38 am

With all due respect, and for the sake of discussion. Should Jewish people not shop at Christmas sales or eat Christmas baking? Should Jewish store owners not stock Christmas merchandise of any sort? As a Christian, I recognize a LOT of Biblical and Christian references in Leonard Cohen's lyrics -- some actually upset me, but it doesn't take away from his mastery of lyric and melody. The fact remains he's already singing about "Christian stuff". If that offends you, then it already has, and Christmas music won't change that. If Mr. Cohen has publicly declared that he is a practicing Jew and promotes orthodox practices, then yes, he would be a hypocrite -- but as far as I know he hasn't. For that matter, I also know Jewish people who believe Christ was/is the Messiah.

Personally, I dislike ANY artist who sings any type of Christian song for the sake of profit -- including Christians. But I'm not a big enough fan of Mr. Cohen's to know where he stands on faith. So, until I do and we start a separate thread on the subject, I think THIS thread should stick to...

Leonard Cohen Holiday Album -- good idea or bad?

I think if he comes out and starts singing Jingle Bell Rock, it would be a horrible idea. But I can easily imagine a Cohen spin on other classics, and some originals as well. I've often thought his "Hallelujah" would make an outstanding Christmas song with different lyrics -- so much so I gave it a shot myself.

The news brought forth on angel voice
Our Lord had made a virgin choice
A son to come before your husband knew ya.
A peasant king, a royal slave,
From heaven fell our world to save.
The holy choir whispers Hallelujah.

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu----jah

On a night as black as our broken souls
A light was born to make us whole
A baby's tears were shed just to renew ya
The heavens were Your hallowed crown
With stars for jewels as one shone down
And Your mother started praying Hallelujah.

As we sow so shall we weep
Amid our flock the shepherds sleep
As darkness cloaks the one who came to ya
But with blinding light the angel throng
Reveals the King in royal song
In harmony proclaiming Hallelujah.

And then, as now, the very wise
Seek an answer in the skies
A star so bright it seems to shine right through ya.
And if, like they, we see the light
And follow to the holy site
We can share with them a Hallelujah.

A Father's gift came from above
A Son pure born to die in love
What does the Christ in Christmas mean to ya?
Will you hide Him in the holidays
Or lift your voice and sing his praise
And share with all the world this Hallelujah.

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu--jah
Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelu---u---jah
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

allangee,
You might want to check this out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23576

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
allangee

Post by allangee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:35 pm

MaryB wrote:allangee,
You might want to check this out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23576

Best regards,
Mary

Cool! Thanks for the link MaryB. Seems the majority of people have forgotten that the music industry IS an industry -- and success is based on supply and demand. There is certainly an art component but, if you look at it objectively, there is really very little difference between songs and any other merchandise. The discussions on these threads run remarkably similar to the discussions people had about the "new" Volkswagen bug... Ugg boots... and the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince.

If the lyrics (original or altered) to a song bother you -- don't listen. If it's a matter of principle, then watch where you step -- seems odd to criticize someone for adding Christian lyrics to a song that was originally written by someone with a Jewish background, an early penchant for folk music, and later ordained as a Buddhist monk.

Sure is fun to talk about though! :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”