Whats your favourite Leonard Cohen's song?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Frankie Lee

Post by Frankie Lee »

to me it is JOAN OF ARC; I love the line about the solitude and pride of Joan. If a boy or a man really loved me he would exactly say this sentence.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Right now it's The Future.
lechehombre

Post by lechehombre »

For me it is "Love Itself" "There was nothing left between the nameless and the named.". What a great line!
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Not quite 'Sophie's Choice', of course, but I find this incredibly difficult. I am trying to learn 'Chelsea Hotel' and 'A Singer Must Die' on the guitar at the moment, so they are most prominent in my mind,and therefore, I suppose my current favourites.

I admire witty_owl for being able to play 'The Stranger Song'. It looks impossible to me. One day, I tell you, I will be able to play it. Oh yes I will... :?
greta

Post by greta »

As I can see I'm not the only one who has trouble with picking just one favourite song...
I like allmost all of them.
From his earlier music i like Partisans, Stranger song and Joan of Arc
From his newer work I like Love Itself the best because this song is just so peaceful,philosophical. Leonard has come to terms with himself and the world.He understands God and himself.
Somehow I have always liked Dance Me To The End Of Love...A very romantical song im my opinion
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

I ought to have mentioned 'If It Be Your Will', too, as it ws the first song as my wedding, and will therefore always have a very special place in my heart.
pipkinra

Post by pipkinra »

:) Easy.....Joan of Arc...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome to the Forum, pipkinra! Must be nice...... :wink:
magneticcry

Post by magneticcry »

dance me to the end of love !
my favourite at this moment,but tomorrow it may be some of his other songs :)
I`m so sad that i haven`t got the chance to listen to his songs very much :( i can only imagine what i am missing...
a tear is like a magnet- it always makes another tear to follow :(
Helven

Post by Helven »

Frankie Lee wrote:
I love the line about the solitude and pride of Joan. If a boy or a man really loved me he would exactly say this sentence.
Yeah, but it looks like it is fire only who loves us in this way :( …( :wink: :D )

Well, my favourite song… It is A Thousand Kisses Deep.
Also I like Here It Is. Few simple words - and here is whole life behind you… It’s amazing.
Humour of One of Us Cannot Be Wrong is amazing too. Cool song. Listening to it I can’t stop smiling (and even laughing sometimes).
Light as the Breeze… It’s a charming one as well…
Actually I like many songs, of course.
I've finally found myself! But that turned out to be a completely different person.
/contemporary saying/
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

At this moment, it is "The Window" from Field Commander Cohen. so beauriffuuly recorded, every moment a gem. Gorgeous lyrics, such tenderness for anyone in emotional suffering. Anthem, If it Be Thy Will, Take this Longing, Bird on a Wire...

Did someone actualy make mention that Felix Cavaliere wrote songs "the opposite of Leonard's -- about hope and longing".. Who writes better about longing than Leonard? And hope, what is Anthem is not hope incarnate?
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Hi - I'm new here. "Closing Time" is my current fav, with "Democracy" and "Take This Waltz" close second/third.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome to the Forum, Bryce. Those are good choices, but then none are bad ones, either, are they.....well, maybe "Don't Go Home ....." could be topped by something else :lol: . Actually, some might say anything from "Death Of...." could be topped.
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

Shwmae Bryce

Welcome to the boards - my fave this week is So Long, Marianne but that will probably change soon

I hope you enjoy your stay here and may it be long

JTS
paal

Post by paal »

I wake up with a new favourite every day-, well nearly.. :-)
But "If it be your will" has meant a lot for me for many years now.
Paul

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”