Jennifer Warnes and Leonard Cohen

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
QueenofSolitude

Jennifer Warnes and Leonard Cohen

Post by QueenofSolitude »

I finally was able to take a very hesitant break from listening to only LC, broke down and downloaded Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat". When Joan of Arc came on as the duet between her and LC, I began to weep!!!! I was shocked at this reaction but I could not stop. His voice is still his young beautiful voice and hers is like all the angels he writes about. I could imagine the two of them in the studio looking at each other while singing these glorious lyrics he wrote. Their friendship and love is so apparent through her passion and his adoration. The instrumentation is gorgeous and it was wonderful to hear such a moving interpretation of one of the greatest songs in history.

Ok folks, I've gotten it out of me and now I can go listen to it ONE MORE TIME!!!!

Thanks for being here. :razz:
and you sank beneath her wisdom like a stone
bruinsy19

Re: Jennifer Warnes and Leonard Cohen

Post by bruinsy19 »

It's a great album.I always hoped JW would have done another album of LC's songs.
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

Jennifer Warnes, is one the greatest interpreters of Leonards' work (Sharon Robinson is the other). "Famous Blue Raincoat" was responsible for introducing Leonard's songs to a much wider audience when it was released.
Jennifer Warnes has the voice of an angel.
In song. Paula
2008 - RHK Dublin x 2, Lucca, Birmingham
2009 - Dublin x 2, Barcelona, Nashville
2010 - Marseille, Las Vegas X 2
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Both of them together are I think just as good as it has ever been. (not that today LC is not still the Master) but of all the work they have done together on LC albums, I mainly think of the Various Positions album (1985) and just how superb they were together.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
caz

Post by caz »

http://www.jenniferwarnes.com/fbr20-gal ... index.html

Some interesting stuff on here, including a "discussion" between LC and Jennifer (about First We take Manhatten)- might be more stuff, but haven't explored the site in its entirety yet!

Sorry if it's already been posted somewhere: the site is too vast for me to keep up!

Enjoy!

Carole
holydove

Post by holydove »

Caz, thank you for that link - it's a rare treat to hear Leonard, Jennifer, & Roscoe talking with each other - it's clear they have such a special, loving, intimate connection - so touching, heartbreaking, beautiful, all at once. . .
B4real

Post by B4real »

The original "Famous Blue Raincoat" album has always been in my all time favourite list. It doesn't contain the last few songs which are in the new anniversary edition. After hearing Caz's link it has prompted me again to rectify that! There just is no one who can sing Leonard's songs as she does. I especially liked the rappport between all three of them. And yes, I really would love it too if she put out a new album with more of Leonard's songs.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”