Leonard's version of Hallelujah

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
MegaMilton

Leonard's version of Hallelujah

Post by MegaMilton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:10 am

I apologize if a similar post has already been made, but I really think that Leonard's version of Hallelujah is the most beautiful. Better than Wainwright and the overrated Jeff Buckley version.
LisaLCFan

Re: Leonard's version of Hallelujah

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:55 am

Absolutely! Nobody can sing a Leonard Cohen song as well as Leonard Cohen! I especially love the way he's been singing Hallelujah on this current tour, with such heartfelt passion! Just thinking about it makes me emotional! (Although, I do like his original studio version, too. I love everything he does!) :D

Actually, I just heard the Buckley version for the first time the other day (no, I don't know where I've been all these years. I looked it up on YouTube because I thought I should hear what so many people have been talking about.). I wasn't impressed, I thought it was kind of wimpy (but for those who like it, hey, whatever turns your crank!).
MegaMilton

Post by MegaMilton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:12 am

I agree, there is just something about the way Buckley sings it that it just doesn't get to me the way Cohen's version does. Thanks for the reply.
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:30 pm

The covers are useful though for introducing new people to Leonard's work.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Still think kd lang's version is the best cover. Even LC said this was his favorite!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
schubert

Post by schubert » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:52 am

I prefer Leonards version too,but do like some of the covers,one I came across recently was Kate Voegele's which I was quite moved by.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:23 am

I agree with Mary about kd lang's version being the best cover (and kd's another Canadian! Maybe it's something in the air up here?). Her rendition is absolutely heart-wrenching and soulful, very much like Leonard's! If you've not heard it, you must check it out!

I certainly am not against covers by any means, espcially since, as hydriot notes, they sometimes introduce people to Leonard's wonderful songs, and then, hopefully to Leonard's own versions. I simply prefer The Man, that's all!
sensei_deano

Post by sensei_deano » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:43 pm

The original by Leonard is the superior version by a mile for me, but the John Cale cover is actually very good. The vastly overrated Buckley rendition is terrible though, especially the chorus as it seems to lack any passion whatsoever. The minute and a half overblown intro on the Buckley version makes it even more intolerable :razz: The Lang version is also quite good though I have to say.
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:46 am

I just about had a fit when a friend of mine posted the following on FaceBook:
In love w/ KD LANG and her new song "HALLELUJAH"
:shock:
Luckily, her son corrected her. After all the posts I've made on FB and on another forum this friend and I share, I was shocked she didn't know it was Leonard's.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm finding there is a distinct difference between Leonard Cohen fans and Hallelujah fans. It's possible to be both, but true LC fans seem to be as interested in his other songs as they are in Hallelujah. Hallelujah fans often are just that....fans of the song Hallelujah. Invariably when I mention LC they'll say, "Who???" When I mention Hallelujah they all know that song. Some have not even heard of LC himself and they all seem to have a favorite version of it. Many of these people, if they have heard LC's version will prefer some other version, some becoming quite insulting of Leonard himself.

I find that personally, I love the song, but just tolerate versions done by other artists. The only one I can get close to the same feeling from is K.D. Lang's.

No real point to this post, just an observation.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Lilifyre wrote:I find that personally, I love the song, but just tolerate versions done by other artists. The only one I can get close to the same feeling from is K.D. Lang's.

Lili
That is because she sings it very much in the style of Leonard and how he intended the song to be sung (slow and deliberate ). I can take or leave K D Lang as an artist but her cover of LEONARD COHEN'S Hallelujah is definately second only to his own version in my opinion . Infact I liked it that much that I paid to go and see her at the Hammersmith Apollo in London After she had sung Hallelujah I left the concert my mission was complete .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:05 am

Notice her expression at 5.10 to 5.15 of the film. It's lovely she looks really proud to have sung it.
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 am

Mr Man wrote:Notice her expression at 5.10 to 5.15 of the film. It's lovely she looks really proud to have sung it.
I am sure if she was asked she would say it is one of the highlights of her career singing Hallelujah with Leonard sitting in the audience . It does not get much better for a performer !
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”