General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
dick

Rufus Wainwright and LC

Post by dick » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:05 am

Rolling Stone on line

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsar ... ?nid=18718

has interview with Rufus that includes these two
questions.

How did your fascination with Leonard Cohen begin?

With I'm Your Man. I was pubescent and very much in contact with my
homosexual feelings. That was the only record that talked about the fact
that people were dropping left and right with AIDS. The bottom line for
him was lyrics, and I'd like to think that that's the same in my music.

Is there a line by Cohen that jumps out at you?

Yeah: "Give me crack and anal sex." [Laughs] That was it.

Other than "plague is coming" lines in Everybody Knows, which I can
interpret as aids (although I guess I hadn't) -- I don't see other
lyrics relating to people dropping left and right with it. The Future can be
seen hundreds of ways, and the favorite line is from it. Rufus was 15 with
I'm Your Man, and 19 with Future.

What do you guys think he is referring to? Something else in I'm Your
Man?

Dick and Linda spending too much time on Wainwright!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:11 am

That's what I thought, too, Dick, when I read that sentence, "...I'm Your Man......That was the only record that talked about the fact
that people were dropping left and right with AIDS." I thought, "Hmmm....I don't remember hearing that in there." Just goes to show. I'll also listen to it again, from that perspective, and see what I come up with.

~ Lizzy
dar

Post by dar » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:46 pm

In line with this post and awareness of AIDS - my 19 year old daughter, Gina Azzarello, http://www.supergiantproductions.com, produced an AIDS benefit, The Decibel Festival, on September 20, 2003 in Sacramento, California. She promoted, produced, and funded it on her own. She met all her commitments to bands, sound, venue, and three AIDS charities. She personally lost quite a bit of her money, financial aid, grrrr. But she will be OK via student loans.
If anyone would like to go to her site and sign her guestbook with a pat on the back I would appreciate it. I think Rufus and Leonard would be encouraged to know a young promoter, rocker, full-time student and hard worker did something like this on her own.
I'm very proud of her!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:02 pm

What about the song Ain't No Cure For Love?
What do you think?
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:24 am

Hi Dar ~

That's some serious commitment and coordination for your daughter to have taken on ~ and at 19! That says a LOT! Good for her! She did a great thing and for the right reasons. The money is only money [though it can't seem that way to her at this point] and will come back to her. I'll go to her site and sign her book. She deserves all the kudos that will come her way.

~ Lizzytysh
linmag

Post by linmag » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:49 am

I had read the 'plague' lines from Everybody Knows as being about AIDS, but I can't think of anything else, either on that album or any other.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:20 am

Amazing reading of " Ain;t no cure for love" as a double-entendre. I thing LC would approve. I find myself agreeing on this -- an "AHA!" moment.

I am in awe of the 19 year old organizing a fund raiser. I was so into myself at that age. This has got to be some kid!
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:52 pm

Ain't No Cure For Love is song about AIDS, according to LC. They aksed him in some interview about that line from Everybody Knows, and he answered "I always thought my song about AIDS is Ain't No Cure for Love."
During the sessions for Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat, around 1986, Jennifer asked Leonard what he thinks about AIDS and homosexuality. He answered "Look Jenny, there ain't no cure for love!" Then she told him"That's the great line, you must write the song about it."
tom
dick

Post by dick » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:59 pm

Thanks all. That's what is so great about being a Cohen fan -- continued new ways of viewing familiar material. Ain't No Cure works for me, but I hadn't thought of it that way.

Did sign Gina's page Dar -- and yes -- you should be very proud!

Dick
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:17 pm

I also would never have considered that interpretation, particularly given the way that Leonard introduces it, as with Jesus looking down from the cross at all the various faces and depictions of people ~ except, perhaps, to say that those with AIDS have a rightful place amongst them. Very interesting background info to the song that Tom brought us.

I also went to Dar's [aMomynous :D ] daughter's [Gina's] site. The AIDS benefit speaks volumes of her!!! Pride well placed, Dar!!!

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”