queen victoria

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
vienna55

queen victoria

Post by vienna55 »

I like all leonards songs ,some better than others naturally, but queen victoria from live songs is one i really cant stand ,would be interested to know if anyone likes this odd song?
hydriot

Re: queen victoria

Post by hydriot »

I like it. The only song I cannot stand is Jazz Police.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I love both.

I can't stand Why Don't You Try. I think it's not honest, the voice in it.
danny

Post by danny »

I love Queen Victoria, though it took a year. I like his faux english accent and desolate delivery but mostly I just love the distilled precision of the poetry leading up to one of the best last lines ever:
""confusing the star-dazed tourists with our incomparable sense of loss"

I like "Why Don't You Try" too. It is as honest as any man trying to seduce someone on the rebound. It got my sister over her crappy marriage.

I don't like Jazz Police or First We Take Manhattan but I'd like them more if the rest of the album wasn't so good. Four fans, sixteen opinions, it is healthy.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I think Queen Vicky is actually verry funny, I mean :"my farther and all his tobacco loved you" or "will you spank her with a mechanical corset"

I think Jazz police deserves a better recording, like the one famous blue cheese made. This song song is actually also rather funny, with its Jazz chords and Jazz movements.

Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Did you hear live version? I like it, the Austin City Limits 1988 version is quite good, and the song much more approachable.
peter danielsen

yes I have a live version on First we take L.A. and I think also on the bootleg called warm reception. I agree that these versions are much better than the one on IYM. I actually think that Jazz police could have been a just big hit as First We Take Manhatten if had had a better arrangement...but I maybe wrong.

Peter
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Oh, I like "Jazz Police" a lot! It is funny, too, it is wonderfully ironical, and all the more so because some of the musical arrangement and the strange harmonies almost remind me of what certain modern classical composers do in their choir pieces, like Pärt or Taverner... 8)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

This is the only song that I skip when listening to on cd. I keep trying it but I keep reaching for the "next button"
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
peter danielsen

The only Cohensong I skip is leaving greensleeves, not because I dont like it, I love it, but because the love of my life left me with that song playing in the background. Now two years later, I still cant listen to it. So...don't listen to Cohen if you are about to break up, you might loose a great Cohen song also

Peter Danielsen(drunk.....)
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

"The cradle of the best and the worst for me is " Coming back to you and Jazz Police "
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

peter danielsen wrote:The only Cohensong I skip is leaving greensleeves, not because I dont like it, I love it, but because the love of my life left me with that song playing in the background. Now two years later, I still cant listen to it. So...don't listen to Cohen if you are about to break up, you might loose a great Cohen song also. Peter Danielsen(drunk.....)
Peter, I sympathise with you. Parts of Leaving Greensleeves are incredibly poignant:
"Now if you intend to show me disdain
Don't you know it all the more enraptures me?
For even so I still remain
Your lover in captivity."

I have the same situation with Paper Thin Hotel, and am looking forward to the time I can sing along with Leonard:
"I stood there with my ear against the wall
I was not seized by jealousy at all
In fact a burden lifted from my soul
I learned that love was out of my control"
and:
"It's written on the walls of this hotel
You go to heaven once you've been to hell."

Can't wait.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Actaion

Post by Actaion »

I always skip Jazz police and, I did mostly with Queen Victoria.

Recently I lay in bed with my girlfriend, and I had put on live songs. She is not a Cohen fan.

When we were just having a pause in our conversation, Cohen started to sing queen Victoria - with the effect, that my girl-friend fell into a lauging fit... :lol:
Mark J

Post by Mark J »

This one takes a while to grow on you. However, it's become one of my favorites from live songs. The lyrics are great. The last verse is pretty powerful. I bet it'd sound a lot better now if he recited it in his low baritone like he did "A thousand kisses deep" on his tour this year.
It's funny, the last song on the Led Zeppelin 3 album is similarly odd and reviled by most, but has become one of my favorites as well. (There must be a few other Zeppelin fans out there who know what I mean).
bolercanoe

Post by bolercanoe »

Re "Jazz Police". We used to have a 5-CD player and would fill it with Leonard's CDs and put it on random. It was a game for us to see how long it would play before "Jazz Police" came up, then we would lose the game.

Actually, I've come to like Jazz Police over the years, although I don't understand it.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”