Manchester - a sideways view: Cohen vs. Dylan

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
John Etherington

Re: Manchester - a sideways view: Cohen vs. Dylan

Post by John Etherington » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:59 am

Oh yeah - the Dylan v. Cohen issue...well I think most people here are agreed on that , but Dylan's greatness cannot be discounted - one only has to listen to "A Hard Rains a Gonna Fall", "Love Minus Zero" or numerous other songs to understand Dylan's importance, and of course he inspired Leonard to pick up the guitar. So let's not turn this into a "Beatles v. Beach Boys" type contest. However my initial contact with Bob and Leonard says a lot...1990: a small group of us approach Dylan in the street...a girl takes a photo of him...Dylan say "Oh f---you all!" and takes a swing at her with something in his hand; he then points at me and says ("Don't Look Back" style) "Why d'yer let her do that man?!". 1976: Myself and nother old friend approach Leonard as he leaves the New Victoria Theatre in London. I say to Leonard "Mr. Cohen, Thank you for everything...would you please you be so kind as to sign my programme?" Leonard shakes my hand slowly and firmly and looks at me as if he's gazing into my soul. "Sure man!" he says.

All good things, John E
paddieu

Post by paddieu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:44 pm

When and where did Lou Reed say that ?
UrPal

Post by UrPal » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:55 pm

When inducting Leonard Cohen into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame earlier this year (about 3:44 into the clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7IuCKfA ... cohen.html

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”