Random LC moment I am adoring today

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
mutti

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by mutti »

Wandering into a cafe my first hour in Canada and starting to give my order today I got distracted….am I imagining things I ask myself…hearing voices? The woman keeps asking for my order and I hesitate. After what seemed like ages she is ready for my coffee order but I say rather excited,
"Stories of the Street"… She said yes and starts talking about how much she loves his older albums. This indeed was very random and not what I expected.

Then a few hours later at my twin nephew's party full of 30 28 year olds I meet 4 different people who tell me their LC stories from living in Montreal when they went to college.
It was an amazing day full of random moments out of the blue. This seems to happen a lot to me when I come home to Canada. Sweeeet!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Documenting 3 recent unexpected Leonard Cohen moments I experienced recently:
1. A bittersweet moment from the TV series Veronica Mars: A Thousand Kisses Deep in the background of a sad love scene

2. Steve Coogan fretting in The Trip to Italy while playing Go No More A Roving on his lap top

3. A professor quoting the [much-quoted] line " how the light gets in" in the midst of presenting a scientific paper at an "Expert Psychiatrist" session in a big hotel ball room
newfoundland--understand?
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Junk wrote:Nice to hear a couple of snippets of Go No More A-Roving in the Michael Winterbottom film 'The Trip To Italy.' :D
Just watched this (so funny) and couldn't figure out which song it was! Knew I would find the answer here. :)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Goldin »

At work.
In the classroom next door (Social Studies, 10th grade) Suzanne Vega's cover of Story of Isaac is playing right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ30w3eQR4o
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Wonderful!
newfoundland--understand?
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Today I've heard someone busking the H-word song for the first time in my life - in front of the vestibule of the nearby metro station.
I'm not sure should I use the word "busking" here: it was a karaoke performance (speaking of its form, not quality!)
B4real

Post by B4real »

I was going through the TV guide yesterday. I very rarely watch day time television and something at 2PM on SBS1 caught my eye. Written on the first line was “Ladies and Gentleman.... (I thought no, it couldn’t be!) and then on the next line there it was ....Mr Leonard Cohen”. Ha! Even though I've had this DVD for many years, I still couldn’t resist watching because it was on Australian TV.

Actually, a couple of nights before on the same TV channel in a music programme called "RockWiz Salutes The Decades – A Celebration of ’60's Music", they mentioned LC twice.

So great to see Leonard here on national TV :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Bev,
He also featured on "Have You Been paying Attention?" (Ch 10).
I would have been a bit pedantic in my answer to the question "Which one of these is not a Buddist?"
Five photos were displayed, featuring LC, Richard Gere, etc.
Leonard was NOT the correct answer, although this "forum of Cohenites" knows differently, or do we?

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hey Alan,
Good to talk to you! Unfortunately, I haven’t been paying any attention to “Have You Been Paying Attention” :razz:
Seems LC has been in more places than one lately on our airways!

btw - Richard Gere is in Australia with the Dalai Lama at the moment – last day today in the Blue Mountains in NSW and then Brisbane and Perth in the next few days.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I'm listening to Sirius XM (have Leonard Cohen pressed in to alert me when a song plays on any station) and I see a Leonard Cohen 'You Want It Darker' alert. It's not so much the fact that LC and this song is playing, it's the channel - Outlaw Country, channel 60 :shock: :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Post by B4real »

Lately I've been watching DVDs that a friend gave me some years ago of the TV show "House MD". I've stated on the forum nearly eight years ago about an unforgettable connection between myself and LC through his song Hallelujah that was played in an episode called "Acceptance" from this TV show. Interesting that LC calls Hallelujah "the acceptance song" - I wonder if the producers knew that!

In a different episode I was surprised to hear out of the blue the main character quote a line from LC's song First We Take Manhattan but he said, "First we take Berlin, then we take ........." :)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Yesterday's farewell party in Bowie Bar.
Alas, Nina & Danil, the amazing team that has organized a memorial evening last November (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37016#p362751), are leaving Saint Petersburg.

2705201711041.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

There has been three different occasions quite recently when Leonard has been represented and also spoken about on TV here in Australia.

1. The eventual winner of The Voice sang you 'know what song' in his semi final appearance.

2. A couple of days ago I was watching a travel show about Canada when some familiar music (no LC voice) with la, la, las from Sharon and the Webbs and Alex's violin prominent started playing Dance Me To The End Of Love as background music to a segment with a mechanical flying fox!

3. And just a few hours ago KD Lang who's Australian tour starts tomorrow in Melbourne was on a show called The Project and she spoke about 'that same song' Hallelujah and Leonard. She said she was so nervous singing it in front of him and profoundly extolled his virtues. They showed a brief clip of her singing it at the beginning which is not shown in this clip and she talks about Leonard two thirds of the way through it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E838j5tzLmo
Macsen191

Post by Macsen191 »

That my son randomly starts to sing the (I think it's french?) part of The Partisan song as he's playing a video game.
Also, was watching The American's a few months back and heard Who By Fire, I was just getting into LC but was instantly drawn to the song and was awesomely shocked to find out it was him who sang it. Still enjoying that moment... and just learning about him and how much he's touched people.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Last night I was flicking channels on the TV when I chanced upon a movie with a huge magical green dragon in a night scene with a small boy. Not the sort of show I would usually watch but at that very moment, totally unexpected and completely out of context to what was on the screen came a familiar voice. Leonard singing his originally released So Long Marianne. The film was called Pete's Dragon.

Another interesting happenstance here because yesterday I had been reading the notebook section of The Flame and on the second page, because they were different, these lines caught my eye, "formless dinosaurs/... the dinosaurs graze on stars/ in the fields of night". I thought well I've never heard LC talk about them before and then I remembered that he did in I've Counted What I Have (from Night Magic) with the line, "Doubt comes generous as a dinosaur". Plus he also referred to them in an alternate verse sung at concerts of The Law. And here he is also associated with another big ancient (night magic) beastie, a green dragon. ;-)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”