Twenty-Seven Angels From the Great Beyond

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
holydove

Re: Twenty-Seven Angels From the Great Beyond

Post by holydove »

EvieB, I like your idea about a "substance-enhanced dream" (lol), but even (or especially) in a dream, why would there be 27 as opposed to some other number? Perhaps we have to turn to C.G. Jung, the mystical dream master, for that answer. I will try to do some research, but our question might be too specific to be able to find it in Jung's writings, though I'm sure he would have something to say about it (if only we could contact him on the astral plane or some such realm).
seadove

Post by seadove »

My sources say that 27 angels is a mock virsion of the famous Islamic 72 virgins. Plus the fact that 27 angels rhymes and mingles very well in the song.
Reuven

Post by Reuven »

Regarding the origin of the image and numbers used in the Tower of Song, Harry Freedman's Leonard Cohen The Mystical Roots of Genius, on page xii of the introduction asserts without authority, that "...the Tower of Song,....refers to an obscure Kabbalistic legend about seven towers in heaven, one of which was called the Tower of Song. King David was permitted to enter it, so long as he was singing. We can assume that Cohen is referring to this legend, because he mentions twenty-seven angels who tie him to a table in the tower." I have not yet found any Jewish source for Freedman's assertions and wonder if anyone posting to this forum has researched this question or, better yet, consulted with Harry Freedman about a source for his assertion.
B4real

Post by B4real »

B4real wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 am And twenty-seven angels from the Great Beyond ~ Tower Of Song
And twenty thousand angels from the Great Beyond ~ Tower Of Song (alt)
;-) https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 90#p378184

The latter here too:
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... &start=105
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”