Worst ever LC tracks

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Darling

Re: Worst ever LC tracks

Post by Darling » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:25 pm

John Etherington wrote: I would like to hear a paired-down version of "DOALM", and may have been the first person to suggest this (I put the idea to Leonard in a letter, at least eight years ago).
Come on, somebody probably suggested it to him the very day that album came out!
emmanaomi

Post by emmanaomi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Anything Phil Spectre, and Memories... I want to see your naked body?!
emmanaomi

Post by emmanaomi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Oh, and I love Jazz Police, Monsieur Camembert, an Australian band, do a great cover of it.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:06 am

Hi gaglou,

I'm sure you're right that people were suggesting to Leonard that he brought out a stripped-down version of DOALM from day one. Though in my post above, I was thinking back to the time when quality re-mastering of CDs was beginning (somewhere around 2000?).

All the best, John E
Darling

Post by Darling » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 am

Hi John,
Although I would also really like a remix of the album, I don't hate it either. I listen to it in my car and I pump up the volume. But sometimes I feel like Phil Spector is a criminal in more ways than one...
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:16 am

Indeed gaglou... I notice that, being tactful, you didn't say that Spector manages to get away with murder!

Cheers, John E
Darling

Post by Darling » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:30 am

Should we call the Jazz Police and have him locked inside Walls of Sound?
jill

Post by jill » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:24 pm

I like Bird on a Wire but I just want to add to this thread an interview with LC where he looks back on this song and comments on the line::

"I have saved all my ribbons for thee' or "I will make it all up to thee." wondering where did that came from?

Jill
Last edited by jill on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davido

Post by Davido » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:39 pm

I noticed that Mickey_one mentioned this line in the first post, and you mention it, too, Jill. In concert Leonard always sings instead 'It was the shape of our love that twisted me' !
Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
glida

Post by glida » Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 am

........almost anything on "Death of Ladies Man" (except for "Memories," which is so delightfully outrageous). For me, the album, for a variety of reasons, doesn't work, but I really think it's pretty anomalous relative to the rest of his work.

Outside of that album, I really can't think of anything off-putting about his output.

......and I recommend giving "Bird....." another try. For me, the entry point into the lyric is identification with the protagonist, daring to experience the world from his world view. Perhaps, that's the biggest challenge in experiencing Leonard.........rule of thumb (?): the more uncomfortable the work makes you, the more it deserves your attention.

Fred
"When two people relate to each other authentically and humanly, God is the electricity that surges between them.”

- Martin Buber
upsofloating

Post by upsofloating » Thu May 08, 2008 11:54 pm

I love "Jazz Police". I love Cohen, but I find each album has a few clunkers except "I'm Your Man". The thing with Cohen is that his music is based solely upon the poetry, so if the lyrics don't click, the music certainly won't save the song.
"Dear child, I only did to you what the sparrow
did to you; I am old when it is fashionable to be
young; I cry when it is fashionable to laugh."

---Charles Bukowski
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Sat May 10, 2008 2:36 am

Hi upsofloating,

is your last name manybellsdown? Or Cummings?

:) – my favourite poem of all.

IF
Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon May 26, 2008 6:07 pm

The only song I regularly skip is Diamonds in the Mine, so that's my pick. Jazz Police rawks! \m/ \m/ EDIT: Well... I hardly ever play DOALM or Dear Heather.
stan

Post by stan » Mon May 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Iodine,Green sleeves, YUCKKKKKK
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
Murf

Post by Murf » Mon May 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I really like Death Of A Ladies Man, the title track is one of my favourite Cohen numbers and Memories is outrageously good.

Jazz Police is indeed a bit rubbish, I struggle a bit with Dear Heather if I'm honest.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”