The Darker Album and the Songs

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
jarkko
Site Admin

The Darker Album and the Songs

Post by jarkko »

We've opened this new thread for YOUR after-release comments!
The other thread started very early and is already quite long.
(There is also a separate thread for links to and quotes of media reports at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36877)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: The Darker Album and the Songs

Post by jarkko »

Leonard and Adam have sent me the complete lyrics to the songs on the album.
The document shows the original poems and the changes made to the song version.
I have posted the lyrics in the way he sings them.
The lyrics are on The LC Files at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/darker.html

The copyright note: Copyright 2016 by Old Ideas, LLC. All rights reserved. Used by permission

Thanks to Leonard and Adam for sharing the texts with us,
and to Robert and Caryn for solving the copyright issues.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

love treaty very much
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Complete credits to each song at Prof. Graf's Cohenpedia: http://cohenpedia.de/2016-youwantitdark ... stof-graf/ (chapter IV).

In the same image from the booklet - a sensitive note from LC...
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I must say I am so grateful that we were given this wonderful album. I hear it again and again. My dear friend Chris, came by, and she could not stop weeping so touched by the record.
Thanks to Leonard Cohen, and To Adam Cohen. This is such a gem
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

String Reprise is one absolutely beautiful piece of music. Hats off to Patrick Leonard for this arrangement and for producing such a moving track.

And this album is a just a masterwork. It's hitting all the spots.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Now the album is officially out, I can't wait to see the response it gets.
Last edited by Bennyboy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

yopietro wrote:String Reprise is one absolutely beautiful piece of music. Hats off to Patrick Leonard for this arrangement and for producing such a moving track.

And this album is a just a masterwork. It's hitting all the spots.
Couldn't agree more. The reprise is both a beautifully realised piece of music and a respite at the end of the album, a - admittedly somewhat muted - chink of light shining through the fog of doubt that has pervaded.

In terms of You Want It Darker itself, for me it unquestionably asserts the power of the album as an art form. From the cover art to the production to the song choices and performances, the whole piece has a coherence and unity that is staggering, and a step up from Popular Problems. As fantastic as that album is - and I far prefer it to Old Ideas - the artwork looks like a three year was fighting a losing battle with MS Paint, and there's a more ragged, looser feel to the songs and the production.

Theres still a couple of months to go of course, but YWID is album of the year for me - and in a year that has given us such dark masterpieces as Bowie's Blackstar and Cave's Skeleton Tree, that's some achievement.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

I arrived my office this morning, eager to get down in my chair, get my headphones on and shut down the world outside.
Had my first three rounds of the album now, listening intensly.

No doubt in my heart, this is a masterpiece, I'm putting this one high above OI and PP, even if I loved both those albums. This one hit me as almost only SoLaD has done before.

This one is so pure, so dark and so personal.
And so close to death.

I'm not ready to reviewe, this is just my first impression.

(Not gonna get anything done at work for the next hours, though...)
There are many ways a man can serve his time
otavio1996

Post by otavio1996 »

I loved the poems, and they left an impression on my mind even before I listened to the songs. The most intriguing seemed to me to be 'Steer your way'.

As for the music, my favourites were 'Treaty' and 'Leaving the Table'. His singing in 'Leaving the Table' is so heartbreaking!
And she comes to his hand / but she's not really tame / she longs to be lost / he longs for the same / and she'll bolt and she'll plunge / through the first open pass / to roll and to feed / in the sweet mountain grass.
MarthaG

Post by MarthaG »

This album has created many emotions from the first sound- I had gooseflesh all over the body. The songs are so beautiful, so touching, heartbrakingly sad - I only didb't cry all the time listening to them, because I was at work.
Thank you so much for this, Mr. Cohen!
Oscar & Babet

Re: You Want It Darker Album

Post by Oscar & Babet »

Again a masterpiece!
We love the music, texts and the deep dark voice of Leonard.
Very touching and humoristic at the same time!
It makes us laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.
Nice cover with sigaret, beard and glasses : darker is not possible.
Thank you Leonard, Adam, musicians and synagogue choir!
:D
2012 Amsterdam, Mönchengladbach / 2013 Oberhausen, Mannheim, Rotterdam, Amsterdam / 2017 Montreal
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Sorry if this is brief.
Got the physical cd today and played it so far once on a rather good hifi .
First hearing , since I resisted the streams.

It's rather good isn't it !
The depth of lyrical content and Leonard's voice match.
Love the production - don't have any initial dislike of production that i had to get through on PP.
It sounds beautiful, though lyrically it's not always an easy listen! Rewarding .... but not easy.
Maybe the easiest song is ' if i didn't have your love' which is another of Leonard's 'sad but true' songs about love.
So much is about psychological preparation for death.

As with all of Leonard's recent albums it is rather brief ,you get to the end and think ' is it over already?'

.......but in that time you go on quite a journey.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
phillyfoggy123

Post by phillyfoggy123 »

Quite enjoying the new album, more than even the last two. I feel this one has a fuller more interesting production. Am curious, would everyone here say TREATY is a direct rewrite of ANTHEM? To me, melodically it sounds nearly exactly the same, yes? Am curious as to the history of the song, if it is deliberate or just a case of an artist "self plagerizing" a little bit. Any thoughts?

Return to “You Want It Darker”