New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
JudasPriest

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by JudasPriest »

Did anyone who heard it comment yet on the length of the album? PP was a brief affair at 9 tracks (in fact I found the brevity endearing and refreshing but would in no way object to a longer work should the content justify it) and with the new one being 8 plus a mostly instrumental coda, are we in the same ball park? Obviously I'm sure the last thing on people's minds when listening the first time were track lengths but did anyone feel the album was noticeably short or otherwise? And we're there any tracks that stuck out as being unusually short or epic in length? I'm guessing that the finale/reprise of Treaty is substantially shorter than the original? Any feedback would be very welcome.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

I thought I read somewhere it's 29 minutes? Or did I dream that?

Half hour is perfect for an album, especially if its chockful of the usual Lenny profundity.
jerry

Post by jerry »

40 minutes is perfect. I'll be awfully dissapointed if it's only 29 minutes long.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I’d really rather not focus on the length of the album; it's the quality and not the quantity that counts!
Anyway, the total length is about the same as in Popular Problems (Darker is slightly longer), and all songs are in (about) 3:30-4:30 range. This album is worth the wait - you'll love it!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

To quote Jermaine in Business Time, "Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven." Can't wait for the album.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Thanks Jarkko, much appreciated. I fully accept your point in general terms too and PP is the proof in the pudding etc... Altho to continue the pedantic arc, slightly longer than PP presumably includes the coda which arguably doesn't count as a new track (I could of course think completely differently when I do hear it) which would then make it shorter than PP...

Anyway, enough tying myself in knots. If it's right, it's right- can't wait...
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Folks we are getting a new Leonard Cohen album. The running time will be what it will be.
MagnumOfChampagne

Post by MagnumOfChampagne »

I'm so happy LC is coming out with a new album, looking so happy and healthy, and already at work on the next one. The world is in turmoil but there is hope! :razz:

Also, hello everyone. I'm new here.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

I agree with Jarkko, I don't think length is really an issue here. One of the reasons I believe this is so is because there is a stronger interconnection between the songs. There is a beginning, an in depth middle which involves primarily love songs, then a rise to a climax, followed by a conclusion. Your attention never wanes. There are no b-side songs here. Plus the music is powerful and enchanting. You always want more, of course, but there is no sense that you feel cheated.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
alb123

Post by alb123 »

I just quickly looked through Mediamonkey at my Cohen collection. Some running lengths as far as original studio albums go: Popular Problems is 36 minutes long, New Skin for the Old Ceremony is 37 minutes, Songs From a Room is 35 minutes and Various Positions is 35 minutes. These are rips from CD's, of course, so the "actual" running time of the albums listed is probably going to be slightly different and I obviously rounded off the times too.

As far as I'm concerned, the running time of an album and the number of tracks is insignificant if the songs contained within move me. Death of a Ladies Man contains 8 tracks and The Future 9 tracks. While I'm not in love with DoaLM, The Future is the album that exposed me to Leonard Cohen - I was hooked after one listening. I drove to the record store the next day to grab whatever else they had in stock by this mysterious 'Leonard Cohen' figure. :lol:

Anyway, I just learned of this new album about 36 hours ago and I've pretty much had a smile on my face since. It surprises me a little bit at how many people want to get snippets of lyrics and other hints of what is coming on the soon to be released album. For myself, I prefer to be 100% surprised. I did catch a bit of Leonard's song in Peaky Blinders, but that was beyond my control! :lol:

Oh, how we live in lucky times. 82 years old and the man is still hard at work in the studio. God bless him. Part of me is sad that he doesn't seem to do nearly as much work with Sharon Robinson in the studios over the last few records. I'm sure that there is nothing behind that other than her busy solo career, but I still miss her association with Leonard's studio work -- they have produced some amazing material over the years. Not that Patrick Leonard is any slouch. He's brilliant in his own right!
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

JudasPriest wrote:Thanks Jarkko, much appreciated. I fully accept your point in general terms too and PP is the proof in the pudding etc... Altho to continue the pedantic arc, slightly longer than PP presumably includes the coda which arguably doesn't count as a new track (I could of course think completely differently when I do hear it) which would then make it shorter than PP...

Anyway, enough tying myself in knots. If it's right, it's right- can't wait...
The coda is a track in its own right, of course. Same as 'Forever Young' on Planet Waves is two songs. Artists have always reprised themes in creative works. That's how the river rolls.

Don't get hung up in this stuff, length is never an indicator of quality. As the Bishop said to the actress.
linmag

Post by linmag »

However long the album is, it held a room full of people spellbound from start to finish. However long the album is, it was just the right length - and it finished way too soon. The lyrics were strong, deep and challenging - Leonard Cohen at his very best. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. How can something so deeply satisfying leave you longing for more?!
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
linmag

Post by linmag »

What is this 'Once More for Marianne' that's listed on Amazon as being for release next month? Is this anything to do with Leonard, or is it someone jumping on a bandwagon?

***Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36738
It is an unauthorized/illegal bootleg of a Montreux concert in 1976
Any comments about it to this other thread please/Jarkko.***
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

glad to hear- really pumped for this album. Truth is I trust seasoned fans initial impressions over mainstream publications all day long so to hear the die hards gush as enthusiastically as they have has really whetted the appetite.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Now I'm wishing Happens to the Heart was on it... Beautiful lyrics.

Return to “You Want It Darker”