You Want It Darker (LP)

Leonard Ciohen's last studio album (2016)
The Brucester

You Want It Darker (LP)

Postby The Brucester » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:42 am

Thank you Adam Cohen for producing one of the best Leonard Cohen albums ever made! Truth be told, this record (LP/white vinyl) has NOT left my record player since December 2016 !!! The only other LP which remained on our turntable was "Songs of Leonard Cohen" waaaaaay back in 1968.

Leonard Cohen will live forever in his songs and his poetry. I find listening to his records to be very comforting and
healing. Leonard has touched so many people. I met Leonard Cohen at Beautys Restaurant, here in Montreal, about 10 years ago. He was sitting at the counter enjoying his lox & bagel with coffee. I sat next to him and we spoke for over an hour. Leonard insisted on treating me for my bacon & eggs...but I wouldn't let him. "Not Kosher", I said (hahaha)... and I placed a $20 bill on the counter to cover BOTH our meals (including tip).

I am very much looking forward to the upcoming Leonard Cohen album to be released this year (2019).
Hopefully, Adam Cohen will not keep us waiting too long.
Hineni Hineni = Here Am I

- Brucester (Montreal, QC, Canada)
The Brucester

Re: You Want It Darker (LP)

Postby The Brucester » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:31 pm

I received an e-mail asking me what Leonard Cohen & I talked about at Beautys Restaurant.
Well, Leonard definitely enjoyed his coffee with bagel & lox, that's for sure! (hahaha)
But we spoke about many things. One topic fled to his being a counselor at a camp up north in the Montreal Laurentians. (I think it might have been Camp B'nai B'rith near Saint Agathe). He would play his guitar (faking it since he didn't really know many chords at that time) and sang Kingston Trio songs. One of them was "Hang down your head Tom Dooley" - and somebody remarked, "Hey Leonard, that ain't no song for kids. Do you know Kumbaya or This Land Is Your Land"? Leonard rebuked and said: "Tom Dooley was a #1 hit back in the day and was based on a true story. In fact, it was written by Tom, himself, while he was inside his jail cell watching them build the gallows."

Believe it or not, Leonard Cohen was telling me this story at Beautys as he sipped his coffee, and began to sing softly...."Hang down your head Tom Dooley, hang down your head and cry, hang down your head Tom Dooley, poor boy you're bound to die."

Then I was grinning from ear to ear as I told Leonard....
"Gee whiz, and here everybody accuses YOU of singing depressing songs! What about The Kingston Trio?" (hahaha)

Leonard also talked about personal things, including "Suzanne" & "Marianne"...but I'll leave that for another time.

Meanwhile, I got this sudden urge to listen to "Tom Dooley".....
=> who's still "hangin' around" one of my Kingston Trio records !!! :roll:

- Brucester (Montreal, QC, Canada)

Return to “You Want It Darker”