ZEN EXPERIENCE IN AMSTERDAM

The Amsterdam Event - before and after
surrender

ZEN EXPERIENCE IN AMSTERDAM

Post by surrender »

For the ones, who always wanted to try Zen but also for the ones who can’t imagine themselves cross-legged on a cushion is there a great possibility to give it a try in Amsterdam.

One has to start somewhere. Zen Centrum Amsterdam, part of the International Kanzeon Sangha, provides a fitting environment. The beautiful zendo is situated in an old building at the canal in the centre of Amsterdam. The introduction in Zen will be given by Meindert van den Heuvel, Mu Sho Sensei. From my own experience I can declare that his kindness and patience are measureless, even with the most retarded Zen-students.

This famous opening line of Shunryu Suzuki’s classic “Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind” can help them who are hesitating:

“If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything, it is open to everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few.”

Come, friends, come with your heart open, come without expectations. All what we have to do is to sit still for a while.

zen.jpg
The text above is the closing part of the article I've written about the Zen Experience in Amsterdam; the entire text will be published in the Event Brochure.

Note 1: Don't worry about "sitting cross-legged on a cushion". It's the most impressive posture but it's not necessary; there are more possibilities, quite comfortable - even the chair is permitted in this zendo.

Note 2: As the zendo capacity is about 40 people, we'll make a list of participants in the near future; you can now start thinking about it.

Note 3: If you have any questions about the Zen Experience, don't hesitate and PM me.

Kind regards,
Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Wybe
Site Admin

Re: ZEN EXPERIENCE IN AMSTERDAM

Post by Wybe »

Dear friends,

The results of our survey until now is that we have already so many participants who like to go to the Zen experience, that our 40 available places are fully booked already.

From now-on, people who indicate in the survey, that they like to go to the Zen experience are placed on the Zen stand-by list.

We are investigating if a possible second Zen-experience is possible, but at the moment we are not sure of this.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well done, surrender! Such a great offering... so unusual and lovely for our Events and gatherings 8) Wish I could be there for it.

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

We have 67 participants who will like to join the Zen Experience.

You are listed in one of the groups. The only way to change your group is by asking one of the people in the other group to change places. If you do so, send us a mail please !

http://lcevent.icantforget.nl/impress/i ... xperience/
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Hi Wybe

It looks from the list as if there are some free places for the 1:00 pm Zen Experience. How long does the session last? Is it possible to add a name to the list at this stage?

Wendy
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi Wendy,

Yes, it is still possible there a a few places left. I you send me a mail I add you to the list.
First-come, first-served
One session is about 2 hours.

Wybe
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Hello Wybe,

I noticed I am on the list twice - both sessions - so there is a place there for Wendy.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

by Janetld » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:56 am
Hello Wybe,

I noticed I am on the list twice - both sessions - so there is a place there for Wendy.
Janet, I see its caused by you did 2 times the survey :) but its OK now.
Wendy is on your place in the second session now.

Jarmila as our Zen Experience organizer is on both lists.
Here is the new list:

Zen Experience participants lists

Wybe
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Thank you, Wybe, and sorry for doing the survey twice, I am not sure what happened there :roll:

No problem at all, see you soon, Wybe
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

New list from Juli 29th.

Zen Experience participants lists
surrender

Post by surrender »

PRICELESS TEACHING

The idea of the Zen session has emerged quite a long time ago, it was hard to estimate how inviting it would be.
We are very pleased with the overwhelming response and very happy that we can offer it to everybody, who has signed for it. It is mostly due to the kindness of Meindert, Mu-Sho Sensei, who has agreed to give us his time on Sunday morning and then when we’ve asked for more – also Sunday afternoon.
We have made an arrangement about the rent of the Zen Centrum Amsterdam but not really about Meindert’s reward - but now as he is going to spend with us the whole Sunday we would like to make a suggestion for a little donation; entirely in the line with the Buddhist tradition of Dana (generosity) practice.

In the Buddhist tradition, the teachings are given freely because they are considered priceless; in the Buddhist tradition we also practice dana, or generosity, by making monetary offerings for the teachings. Dana is not payment for goods or services rendered; it is given from the heart.
From: http://dharmawisdom.org/teachings/artic ... -word-dana

You are free to donate – or not – after the sessions in the Zen Centrum.
Kind regards,
Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
surrender

Post by surrender »

FULL HOUSE!

Friends, we are proud to announce that all places for the Zen Experience are taken by now.
We are looking forward to see you all in the zendo of the Zen Centrum Amsterdam.

If you are on the list and not coming - please let us know.

Kind regards, gassho,
Jarmila

(Aldous L. Huxley)
surrender

Post by surrender »

Friends, last instructions to let everything go smoothly on Sunday:

1. ZEN SESSION 10:00 am
We would like to ask you to come between 9:30 and 10:00, please be in time.
IMPORTANT: please don't come (don't ring the bell...) before 9:30, there are zen practitioners in the zendo
meditating till 9:30.

2. ZEN SESSION 13:00
You are expected between 12:30 and 13:00, please be in time.

See you on Sunday,
Jarmila

(Aldous L. Huxley)

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Amsterdam 2016”