LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
Yorkshire Lad

Re: LC Walking Weekend (2009, 2011)

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Henning wrote: I assume he prefered to stay incognito.

We will pass that place on Friday September 16 - 10.50 a.m.

http://www.siwikultur.de/pmc/indexb.htm
Henning two questions
1 Is the space bar sticking on your computer ?

2 Is Cognito anywhere near Haiger ?

Happy days
YL
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Thank God Henning I was getting concerned that this whole trip was going to be lackadaisical and there would be no structure to the day. I hope some time is set aside for moaning about the weather, the food, the blisters etc etc.

Terrible news about the cucumbers in Germany Henning.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Henning

Post by Henning » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Phil: 1.) No 2.) No

Paula - Latest news: The cucumbers from Spain were o.k., eggs from Wales are under suspect now.

H.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Not idea what the Welsh eggs are about, but thanks for the comment on Spanish cucombers (even more coming from a German).
A very sad story, enormous economic damage in difficult times...
Let's hope scientists (not politicians) find the E. coli origin as soon as possible to prevent more people afected.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Potty-mouthed residents and visitors caught swearing in Barnsley town centre are facing on the spot fines of £80.

South Yorkshire Polcie and community organisation Barnsley Voice have joined together to combate foul-mouthed tirades throughout June as part of a series of monthly campaigns tackling different types of anti-social behaviour in the south Yorkshire community.
Does this include comments regarding 'eggs in Barmouth' ?
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 am

daveeliver wrote:
Potty-mouthed residents and visitors caught swearing in Barnsley town centre are facing on the spot fines of £80.

South Yorkshire Polcie and community organisation Barnsley Voice have joined together to combate foul-mouthed tirades throughout June as part of a series of monthly campaigns tackling different types of anti-social behaviour in the south Yorkshire community.
Does this include comments regarding 'eggs in Barmouth' ?
Dave
You may mock the choice language the good people of Barnsley use but word has it that on its first day the scheme generated enough revenue to put swear boxes in every church !
As to the comments regarding eggs ! That only applies to the local poachers !
YL
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Very tragic what's happening in Germany. More people, thinking they were fine if they avoided the Spanish cucumbers, went ahead and ate something else, the e coli's true source, whatever it is. I've just heard that it's a new strain never detected before and more virulent. I hope they find what the source is very soon and how to address it; and that your country recovers from this scourge before even more die, Henning. I hope your country recovers from this devastating economic blow, too, Beatriz.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Henning wrote: On our first walking tour on September 16 we will pass the house where Sir Paul McCartney stayed overnight for the occasion of the first public exhibition of his paintings.
You are allowed to take photos. It is really a small place in a small village and it is said that Paul had a walk in the evening and none of the locals did recognize him
We will pass that place on Friday September 16 - 10.50 a.m.
henning....then i'm not the first liverpudlian to walk through the streets of siegen to go unrecognized by the locals...although i was once recognized while walking through the streets of nearby haiger by the better looking of your mother's sons christoph when he came over and warmly greeted me and welcomed me to his town....btw have you seen any of mr mccartney's paintings?....i know you are a football fan but even you would recognise them as crap.....maybe it was just a case that the good folk of siegen are appreciators of good art and just hid from view out of embarrassment when the old beatle walked by......

....you say there are plans to have no toilet breaks on our walks...i think we will have to discuss this subject when we are on hydra next week.....it doesn't seem fair that when you were in wales nobody stopped you from wee weeing all over cader idris and mount snowdon during our walks....i even have photographic evidence which i don't want to make public unless forced to do so.....so let's talk

....as you are a moderator maybe you could create a 'contagious cucumber' thread where those folk that wish to express their heart-felt sympathies and to send their condolences to those affected by this apparently ecomonic and human disaster can give full reign to their feelings.........ta ken
Last edited by liverpoolken on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Ken, I think Henning said the pee pauses are for other countries.... or did you leave out the word 'no'...

I would love to see that photo :). Maybe you will get some good ones on Hydra.

I bet you 2 will come up with all kind of plans for Haiger as you sit in the sunshine drinking your beer. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous. I am depending on tomorrow for my summer. No work and going to go out with Niamh and Jessica to Dun Laoire and Sandycove.
By the Way Ken, don't forget my stone, I want one that Leonard walked on . Thanks darlin

Feck! Day off and no coffee in the house, instant or other, would murder a cup now
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm

tinderella wrote: I bet you 2 will come up with all kind of plans for Haiger as you sit in the sunshine drinking your beer. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous.
Jealous and worried! :?
Ken, Henning, good beer and Hydra sun alltogether.... DANGER!!! :lol:
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm

...well spotted bernadine i had left the all important 'no' from my post....edited now thanks.....

....as for sandycove 'tis me who is jealous...one of the most peaceful, beautiful and civilised places i have ever visited....if i had the cash i would move in there along with all of dublin's finest tomorrow.......all that sea air and the views over dublin bay are to die for...although i do have one unhappy memory of the place...didn't you pull out of a date with me when we were supposed to go to sandycove?

i wish i was over there in somewhere dublin bay ...at the moment i'm trying to read my book while having four evil looking cats staring at me from the other sofa..... i'm positive they have already planned to creep up into my bed to smother me to death before i finish my house sitting stint on saturday......thinking of bringing the dogs up to my bedroom for the next couple of nights for protection....is it still illegal to drown cats in buckets of water? (humanely of course)......don't worry about your stone there is a little fella in piraeus who not only sells stones that leonard has walked upon but also pieces of the cross from calgary, cotton threads from the turin shroud, st anthony's toenails, bricks from the berlin wall, phials of bob dylan's wee wee he even claims to have a glass that leonard drank from when in was in the green note cafe in london in 2007....as if !!!...

... on the subject of our september wee wee breaks we will have 3 other moderators besides henning with us on hydra next week so i'm planning that sometime during maarten's inevitable tree planting ceremony i will bring up the subject and hopefully will gain some support from wijbe, jarkko and the maybe from the belgian boy himself....

ta ken

ta ken
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Ken

Yes i stood you up, that was unforgivable.
Next time you are in Dublin, we will defo have a day out there, I promise. I will take the camera tomorrow and try capture some nice shots for you, if you do the same for me of Hydra.

Not sure I would like to be where you are now, Am a bit wary of animals and yes I would lock the bedroom door at night , just in case.

You must be looking foward to your holiday as the weather has been really crap so far, and today is not that amazing even though they said it would be.

Maybe I will make it to the next meet up there :) I put this photo on facebook . My son took it a few years ago out in Sandycove/Killiney, I think it is a beautiful shot. Almost has a Hydra feel to it doesn't it?

Ber
Attachments
190204_6818030010_735895010_91853_5314_n.jpg
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:26 pm

An early meeting in Chester. The Olde Harkers' Arms Pub was the venue for this serious training for the German walking weekend
Attachments
2011-06-04 The Old Harkers' Arms Chester German Walking Weekend fisrt meeting 008 (1024x609) (640x381).jpg
2011-06-04 The Old Harkers' Arms Chester German Walking Weekend fisrt meeting 012 (640x521).jpg
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:02 pm

thanks to caren..hans..margaret..dave and john for a nice day in chester and thaks to you john for the photo

…remember when I remarked that during the prelimary german walking weekend meeting how I was feeling a strange presence moving amongst us…well thank goodness I asked for a snap of our group to be taken with my magic polaroid camera….if you look closely you will be able to see that we were indeed not alone…

...are we all just but pawns in his dominion...unable to escape his presence in either flesh or spirit?
chester1-pola.jpg
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi to everyone
Jean was sifting through some old receipts the other day and came across one that holds bittersweet memories for us both and changed our eating habits for the rest of our lives . Here is the website printed on the receipt :

http://www.thesandpiperguesthouse.co.uk

Fond memories and happy days
YL

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)”