LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
Yorkshire Lad

Re: Just when I climbed this whole mountainside... (Wales 20

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 pm

liverpoolken wrote:...tony toenail has had another change of mind...long gone is his wish to be welsh and he has lost all interest in being a derbyshire hill farmer...his latest incarnation is as a yorkshireman...he has already turned himself into an old grump and borrowed the money to buy himself a whippet and flat cap and is not only talking about moving to giggleswick but is starting to talk in tongues....ta ken
yorkie3.jpg
Hey up !
I cannot accept for one moment that Tony Toenail qualifies to be a fully fledged Yorkshireman . For a start his whippet is too fat . A wippet bred in Yorkshire must be fed on the smallest amounts of food to attain maximum racing speed . Also he is wearing a tartan flat cap which leads me to believe he his from north of the border which unfortunately excludes him from being a true tyke . There is one aspect to him however that would qualify him as a yorkshireman and that is his bow legs . All yorkshiremen have bow legs because the weight of their money belt is so heavy that it puts undue strain on the knee joints therefore causing a severe arching around that area .
Cheers YL
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Yes Phil, You are definitely a Yorkshireman with those legs.... but I cannot see your money belt, it is well hidden
Attachments
Nice  Yorkshire legs
Nice Yorkshire legs
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:32 am

tinderella wrote:Yes Phil, You are definitely a Yorkshireman with those legs.... but I cannot see your money belt, it is well hidden
I seem to recall that photograph was taken on the first night in Barmouth when the money belt was full . But as the weekend progressed i seem to remember the strain on my knee joints getting leess and less as the money belt emptied .
Btw notice how Jean is leaning forward . Well that is due to the little stash in her handbag I have told her if she doesn't start spending she will finish up bent double .
YL
Ps good to have you back on this thread I have missed you
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Diane

Post by Diane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:16 pm

daveeliver wrote: For those who've not heard of Brian, he was a special man and a proud Liverpudlian,who died last month.
He was a great entertainer and folk singer and he appeared at many of the pubs I ran and even at my wedding celebrations(?).
He particularly supported The Liverpool School for the Blind and his stories were so graphic because he wanted them to be accesible to the blind children.
He loved his flat caps!
Really good to have you call in, Dave:-) I hope you are well. Nice that you and Byron mentioned Brian Jacques. RIP.
Yorkshire Lad wrote: Btw notice how Jean is leaning forward . Well that is due to the little stash in her handbag
Looking at Tinds' picture, Phil, it is decidedly clever the way you managed to carry all that money concealed about your person in Barmouth, and yet never once buy a round!
Last edited by Diane on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:24 am

and yet never once buy a round,
Sorry Diane no comprehend !
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm

Speaking of rounds, Phil, this is for you. Now you have a round tuit, you can get around to understanding what has thus far eluded you. I was so pleased when I got mine.

Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Brilliant Diane ! There are one or two people I know who could do with a round tuit !
Phil
Judy

Post by Judy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Had to do a google search for that one ....
Diane

Post by Diane » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Judy, from what I know of you, you already have a round tuit tucked away somewhere:-)

Ken's dvd artwork includes this picture and made me want to dig it back out:
sno8.jpg
I wish we all could have been at the top at the same time, but upon reflection, those who for various reasons are the greatest heroes of that day, are those who are not in that photo. (No this is not a joke and I'm not going to explain.) Enjoy the lovely Spring weekend, people.

ps, deleted my following post as I didn't realise it will be my 3,000th. I will wait until I have something 3,000th-postworthy to say.
Last edited by Diane on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:20 am

Well, what can I say? As I look at that photograph of shame we must all be shocked at the standard of safety measures not visible to the naked eye. For starters, those steps not only have no carpet, they don't even have any treads. And as for bannisters........well I think its woeful, that people have been charged an inordinate amount of cash, to sit on a crowded, cramped, vertigo-inducing train, which takes them into an area of danger, where only the services of the local volunteer mountain rescue teams, and RAF Valley (Williams bunch) can be called upon, if one was unlucky enough to cause horrendous damage to one's toenail. In all honesty, it was lucky for the 'authorities' responsible for the top of the mountain, that there wasn't an outreach office of one of the many 'no win no fee' law firms, who bravely step into the breach to render unflinching assistance, to those unfortunate enough to be inflicted with a nailostomy trauma.
We should all be thankful, that those of you who survived the day, may yet get another chance in your poor, mundane, miserable lives, to stand astride a similar collosus of a mountain, and strike such a pose as that German bloke on the far left of the group, who was suitably attired in snow glasses, mountain boots, woolly hat, and manly, bare, hairy arms, for just such a photo opportunity. (Who scrolled back to check the photo????)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 am

DOH, I did. :(
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:37 am

I have no idea when your and Jean's wedding anniversary is, Phil. But I've just now heard this wonderful song sung by Eva Cassidy and want to dedicate it to you and Jean now, for whenever your anniversary might be. Love, Lizzy xxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0qD0ejB79k
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm

Our anniversary has just passed March 10th . Thirty eight years for our sins . So although the dedication is a little late Lizzy it is still most appreciated . Eva Cassidys singing is so moving and heart wrenching . We had never heard that song before so we are grateful for you posting it . Only two years to the big 40 and as the song says :
It dont seem a day too long
There aint a lady living in this world
That i'd swop for my dear old dutch
Phil
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm

" I do not intend to let the Welsh thread die before it reaches 100 pages " Thats the spirit Bernie onwards and upwards ( obviously its a thread about climbing ) . He( or she* ) who dares wins !!
Phil
* PC protocol observed notice !
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 pm

It was the first time I'd ever heard OF it, much less heard it, too; and I was very moved by the lyrics and her poignant singing and delivery. It just really seemed to fit you two, and I'm happy to see you appreciate it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)”