LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
Yorkshire Lad

Re: Just when I climbed this whole mountainside... (Wales 20

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:55 am

liverpoolken wrote:.....i once saw a dyslexic yorkshireman wearing a cat flap
I am lost for words Ken ! As animal lovers no self respecting folkshire yolk would ever contemplate wearing the fur of a cat . The odd ferret skin maybe and then only down his trousers !
Cheers
Phil
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:41 pm

i haiku have a
happy st patricks day friends
here's to all things green
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:52 pm

...same dyslexic yorkshireman wearing the cat flap walks into a bank and says 'put your hands up - I've got a gnu'
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Which causes the Yorkshire bank teller to exclaim "Oh My Dog, he's got a gnu!
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:42 pm

friscogrl wrote:Which causes the Yorkshire bank teller to exclaim "Oh My Dog, he's got a gnu!
To which someone shouted "Is it a bog or a ditch"
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Diane wrote:i haiku have a
happy st patricks day friends
here's to all things green
Get aways with yer Diane .You are a fine woman so you are.To be sure ! And I will raise a glass tonight to the wonderful Irish people !
margaret

Post by margaret » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:16 pm

I will also raise a glass (maybe Guiness?) tonight to the Irish as I celebrate redundancy. One more day to go. :)

By the way, for those of you in the UK there is a Christy Moore concert on BBC 4 at 9,00pm on Friday night, repeated later for anyone out celbrating something,

Margaret
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:52 pm

margaret wrote:By the way, for those of you in the UK there is a Christy Moore concert on BBC 4 at 9,00pm on Friday night, repeated later for anyone out celbrating something,

Margaret
Thank you Margaret for this information . I will definitely tune in and tape !
Phil
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 pm

margaret sorry to hear about your redundancy i know you have been half expecting it for a while but it must still be a shock to the system...fingers crossed another door opens soon

the christy documentary on tomorrow night is in fact a shortened version of his dvd from 2009 'come all you dreamers' a film of his barrowlands gig in 2008.....the other documentary on the same evening 'folk hibernia' a truly amazing documentary about the history of irish music.....if you watch carefully there is what must be the first irish cover of a leonard cohen song if not one of the first ever covers.....40 years before the birth of the irish stalker and tree planters....any barmouthians want copies of either programme i've got copies in my irish cupboard.....ta ken
margaret

Post by margaret » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks Ken. I am looking forward to putting my feet up for a while when I return from my big adventure holiday that starts next week. Work will be hellish for those few poor sods remaining after April. I was glad to offer to go voluntarily.

I have the audio cd's of that Barrowlands concert of Christy Moore, which was probably given to me by your good-self. Thanks again. :)
Diane

Post by Diane » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Yorkshire Lad wrote: Get aways with yer Diane .You are a fine woman so you are.To be sure ! And I will raise a glass tonight to the wonderful Irish people !
oh g'won wit you, Phil! Come on, how many glasses did you raise?

Margaret congrats! Enjoy your travels won't you, and tell us all about them on your return if it be your will.

Ken nobody can accuse you of not generously taping things and passing them 'round the LC community but I have a Christy Moore 2006 at the Point dvd and will watch what's on tonight. I have a post-it note on the wall here, reminding me to always switch on BBC4 at 9pm of a Friday evening...
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Diane wrote:0h g'won wit you, Phil! Come on, how many glasses did you raise?
Only one glass I just filled it a few times !
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 am

...tony toenail has had another change of mind...long gone is his wish to be welsh and he has lost all interest in being a derbyshire hill farmer...his latest incarnation is as a yorkshireman...he has already turned himself into an old grump and borrowed the money to buy himself a whippet and flat cap and is not only talking about moving to giggleswick but is starting to talk in tongues....ta ken
yorkie3.jpg
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Could that flat cap be one of Brian Jaques? Sorry about the spelling. I'm now typing in tongues. :? It must contagious?

My mum's lot were from Thornaby on Tees, and me dad's lot were from Wales. That makes me as tight as a crab's **** at 40 fathoms. :shock:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi John,
I've been trying to phone you to wish Marg a safe journey etc.

For those who've not heard of Brian, he was a special man and a proud Liverpudlian,who died last month.
He was a great entertainer and folk singer and he appeared at many of the pubs I ran and even at my wedding celebrations(?).
He particularly supported The Liverpool School for the Blind and his stories were so graphic because he wanted them to be accesible to the blind children.
He loved his flat caps!
Brian Jacques, who has died after a heart attack aged 71, was the author of the bestselling Redwall series. Hugely popular with children from the publication in 1986 of Redwall, the first in the lengthy sequence, Jacques's books were among those that they needed no adult guidance to find; they latched on to them hungrily and then shared them with friends. Written in a flowing, flowery prose, the simply structured stories tell of the epic struggles between the good inhabitants of Redwall Abbey and its surrounding Mossflower countryside, and the bad invaders who must be kept at bay.
Jacques's vividly created imaginary world is entirely anthropomorphic; mice supported by voles, badgers, hares and other peaceable creatures live in a world of harmony within the confines of the abbey and the nearby countryside. Led by the good Abbot Mortimer, the abbey's mission is to keep the world peaceful and ordered. However, their calm is constantly disrupted by waves of violent invaders led by desperadoes such as the rat Cluny the Scourge, a rascally creature with only one eye, a whipping tail which he uses freely, a foul temper and a black heart, who leads a rough band of "bad" creatures, such as weasels, stoats and ferrets.

In the opening title, Matthias, a young mouse who dreams of heroism, draws on the mythic stories of previous warrior mice and leads Redwall's inhabitants into a fierce and bloody battle. It is a story pattern that is repeated throughout the books.

A passionate Liverpudlian, Brian Jacques revelled in being recognised within his hometown.
The combination of a completely imagined world full of domestic detail – especially the kind of institutional feasts later made familiar at Hogwarts – with a strongly created mythology to underpin them, big-scale plots and Jacques's rolling prose quickly turned Redwall into a leading international brand in children's books. Worldwide sales exceeded 20m copies, and spin-offs included maps and family trees to increase the sense of reality.

The almost annual flow of titles, including Martin the Warrior (1993), Lord Brocktree (2000) and the upcoming The Rogue Crew dotted about chronologically, mining the past history of Redwall Abbey for mythic characters from earlier generations. As the chronology of publication was different from the chronology of Redwall, the books can be read in any order.

Jacques tried other kinds of stories, including The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (2001) and its sequels, before returning to the Redwall world.

Jacques was born in Liverpool and grew up in the dockland area of the city. He remained a passionate Liverpudlian for the rest of his life and told stories of the poverty of the city of his childhood, from the vantage point of its recent extensive redevelopment, as well as his own later acquired wealth. He always claimed he drew much from the city for his novels, in terms of place and character, as well as drawing on his memories of the bombing of the city in the second world war for his set-piece battles. Above all, he drew on his early experiences as an altar boy in the Catholic church, and particularly the Latin in which the services were conducted, for the rich language and imagery of his writing.

Jacques went to St John's school, Kirkdale, until he was 15. He then joined the merchant navy before returning to Liverpool. He had a variety of jobs, including driving a milk truck, while beginning a creative career as a playwright and host of his own radio show, Jakestown, on BBC Radio Merseyside.

Delivering milk to the Royal school for the blind in Wavertree, Liverpool, brought Jacques into contact with the pupils, and it was for them that he first told the Redwall stories. The needs of this first audience encouraged Jacques to describe his newly created world as vividly as possible; wisely, he retained the same detail and drama when the stories were written down. Their quality was recognised by a former English teacher, Alan Durband, who sent them to a publisher without telling Jacques and secured him a contract.

Jacques was a natural storyteller. He told touching stories of the responses he got from young readers, with tears springing to his eyes. He revelled in being recognised within Liverpool. He was generous to his readers and his city, including becoming a patron of the Royal school for the Blind, a role which he valued highly. He was intensely proud of his success and worked tirelessly to maintain it.
He is survived by his wife, Maureen, and two sons, Marc and David.
Attachments
Brian Jacques
Brian Jacques
photo_Brian_HeadShot.jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)”