LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
tinderella

Re: Just when I climbed this whole mountainside... (Wales 2009)

Post by tinderella » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Yeah the one and only, I think he has a house in Cork, not sure if he lives here full time. Nice guy and still a hippy lol.
He held my hand and said to me, ' I will be able to see the sunsets so clear now with my new glasses'
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

tinderella wrote:Yeah the one and only, I think he has a house in Cork, not sure if he lives here full time. Nice guy and still a hippy lol.
He held my hand and said to me, ' I will be able to see the sunsets so clear now with my new glasses'
They don't make music like this anymore or am I just getting old and nostalgic !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8RZsOZ1Dw
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
mylitta

Post by mylitta » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh that brought on an attack of nostalgia- oh for the lost days of my youth.
He was a lovely boy- and talented with it.
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Yeah, great to see that again. Thanks Phil
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:26 pm

HAPPY BLOOMSDAY TO ALL MY LOVELY IRISH FRIENDS
tinderella wrote:by the way Ken, just to let you know that Christy Moore was in my opticians today and i helped him choose glasses, he is a nice guy, even If i cannot stand him singing. :)
how can anybody say that they cannot stand christy singing.......here is his version of pink floyd's shine on you crazy diamond...in concert he sings this acapella no instrumental at all.....beautiful beyond description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccvWdcbwZMY

i had a dream last night about christy in the opticans....which got me to a wondering whether or not you went into super salewoman mode and persuaded him to buy a pair of those there 'orrible trendy designer specs that everybody seems to be wearing at the moment or did he manage to stick with the nice rimless style he has worn for years....which just happen to be the same style as i wear.........

note for all irish opticians operating in the dublin area

.......here is christy at home with the good doctor on guitar singing shine on you crazy diamond with his old specs on......which suit him lovely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D1vJJKF ... re=related

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Yep you got it right Ken, Christy always wears the rimless one by Lindberg, a danish company, They cost about 790 complete but my boss always gives him a good deal.

Great version of a great song. I stand corrected there. I am just not mad about those drinking songs that everyone sings along to. and which christy seems to sing a lot of..........don't forget your shovel if you wanna go to work... and suchlike.... just not my cup of tea, but each to his own.
Judy

Post by Judy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Well, I heard Pink Floyd sing this in front of the chateau in Versailles quite a few years ago :D in June, almost to the day. It was brilliant!

Ken, there is a "box" on its way to you (containing NO body parts) ... to thank you for those absolutely fabulous dvds.
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:11 am

I'm a bit wary of dipping my toe into this thread ( in case I suffer a fate like Ken).... BUT...
I have to (A) stand up for Christy.... Tinders, have you never heard him singing Nancy Spain or Beeswing ( a Richard Thompson song ).... ? He hits you in a different place than LC.!
I used like Donovan in the 60s and 70s, but saw him on a documentary recently, and thought he was a bit full of himself.
and (B)..Thank Ken for his Bloomsday wishes......You'll be glad to hear the sun shone from a clear blue sky all day.

Tony.
Last edited by Bill's Bar on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
Diane

Post by Diane » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:29 am

Christy Moore is one of your national treasures imo too, Tinders:-) I have seen him a few times in recent years and he gives it 110%. I most love A Pair of Brown Eyes, and Motherland, but he's recorded countless treasures. E.g. Nancy Spain, yes Bill's Bar.

The Pink Floyd concert sounds wonderful for a summer's night, Judy.

Ken, my guess is that in your box is a scrapbook, photographs, moss, a cheap violin, and a cross.
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:55 am

Hi all,
Sorry for invading this thread, but I've been trying to catch up with reading here and I just have to thank Ken for bringing up Christy Moore. I only have 1 cd of his (a compilation: CM Collection 81-91; I know: I really should buy some more stuff from him), but I absolutely love it. I got to know Christy Moore through my sister and never new a lot about him, really. Untill recently I was *singing* (read: humming out of tune) Nancy Spain at work and one of my colleagues recognized it and said how she loved the man. I promised her to keep my eyes and ears open just in case Christy Moore would some day visit Belgium and play here. When I noticed he was playing the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall in October (in a weekend!) I was tempted to go and see him. But I have always promised my wife and children that I would only nourish one fandom and that would be Cohen's. I'm afraid I can't be sure not to get hooked on Christy Moore once I've travelled abroad to see him, so I won't do it. Especially the prospect of visiting Ken in his hometown was tempting, but now I see he's keeping dead people in his basement and dead toe nails in a match box, I don't think I can handle all of this ontop of the sight of his Dylan Collection...
But I'm sure Ken will have a plan ready to pursuade me to come to Liverpool in October when we meet in Salzburg! Anyway: Ken, keep me informed IF mr. Moore ever plans a concert close to me!

Regards,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:57 am

Ken
This took me awhile but it's in your defence :
A Toenail Must Die

Now the basement is quiet but who will confess
Is it true you betrayed us the answer is yes?
Then I read you a list of the crimes that are mine
I will ask for the mercy I know you’ll decline
And the skin goes all moist and you have no choice
A toenail must die from the cry in your voice

And I thank you I thank you for doing your duty
You keeper of nail you guardian of beauty
Your vision is right your vision is wrong
Into this box your toenails belong

Oh the sight it is sick your defence is not quick
This thread on the forum was shocked by your trick
In the posts of the women in the whinge of their cries
I would like to go begging for beauty’s disguise
Oh goodnight, goodnight, night after night
Night after night after night after night

But I’m so afraid that I listen to you
With no true compassion they could do that to you
It’s their way to complain it's their way to disgrace
Their knee in your balls and their fist in your face
Yes long live your toenails whatever their fate
Sir I didn’t see nothing I’ve just joined the debate
Last edited by Yorkshire Lad on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:23 am

Maarten wrote:Hi all,
Sorry for invading this thread,

Regards,
Maarten
Hi Maarten
I think I can speak for all who contribute to this thread that your "invasion" is more than welcome . Feel free to post at anytime we have 48 days to keep it going before Kracow ! My personnal favourite of Christy Moores is Ordinary Man and by the way his pal Declan Sinnott is no mean performer as well
Last edited by Yorkshire Lad on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:28 am

Thanks for the Welcome, YL! I've enjoyed the thread so far and I'm sure it will reach it's climax in Krakow! ;-)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Diane

Post by Diane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Yes, invade away, Maarten. Declan Sinnott is marvellous isn't he Phil. Sinnott has also produced Sinead Lohan (Mary Black also). Sinead L is one of my favourite Irish singers even though her output is small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj0Yz6q3zEk
you will find me down by the river
getting high on my mortality
holding hands with nameless beauty
or whoever wants to stand next to me

Diane wrote:
Ken, my guess is that in your box is a scrapbook, photographs, moss, a cheap violin, and a cross.
I mean my hope, not my guess.

It is nine months since Barmouth. I wonder if Henning has given birth to a new song.
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Diane wrote:Yes, invade away, Maarten. Declan Sinnott is marvellous isn't he Phil. Sinnott has also produced Sinead Lohan (Mary Black also). Sinead L is one of my favourite Irish singers even though her output is small.
Diane
You are telling me things about the man I did not know . My opinion was based on his association with Christy Moore now my opinion of him has gone even higher . A very talented guy ! I am afraid my jury is out regarding Sinead Lohan but Mary Black has always been a favourite of mine . Could it be a generational thing as you are probably thirty years younger than me ( how's that for a charm offensive but it's success will of course depend on how old you think I am )

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)”